3rd Onkyo is dead - thinking about raw processing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

First of all, thank you for all of the help you all have given me over the years. The danley DTS-10s + klipsch RF82 combo constantly blows my mind (lucky not my ears, yet).

However, the wretched onkyo has been just killing me. I have the Onkyo tx-sr875. Before the LCD panel died (which I know there is a fix around here somewhere, not worth it) it kept overheating/overloading and dying on me (clicking to standby) when listening at reference level on movies like tron/iron man.

I tried to disable the back/front outputs and just run a separate amp for the front speakers (since the onkyo did not do a great job of powering them) - it still kept clicking over and going into standby in intense scenes (even with no speakers hooked up). This is my 3rd unit back from Onkyo, and I am fed up (first DOA, second the rear channels never worked and they took it back as 'defective')

Now, I basically have an 550w/channel amp for the mains, and 120w/channel amp for the rest of the 5 speakers (rc-5 and 4x rs-3s). The onkyo is dead to me. I know there are a lot of recommended receives, but (pardon my ignorance) since I already have active power with the amps, is there a piece of equipment I can get to simply just act as an HDMI decoder?

I don't need hdmi switching, am/fm, EQ, all the built-in Onkyo stuff - just need something to process HDMI and give me outputs to run into my EQ -> amp. So possibly a non-power AVR

Thanks! Hope this post wasn't too convoluted.

-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Strange things happening.
I am on my 6th Onkyo right now (905, 875, 876, 5007, 3009 and finally 5509) and none has failed on me yet.
May be i am a bit more cautions than most, because all my units had a set of fans on top of it...
post #3 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Was the unit in a location with proper ventilation?

As for something simple to use as a processor, there's nothing cheap I know of except for maybe the Emo processor.

Maybe buy the cheapest receiver with pre outs you can find, that's not an Onkyo if you are no longer buying from them.

I have had good luck with Yamaha, if that helps.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 42
Brandon, you say you just need something to process HDMI and have outputs to connect to your EQ for your amps. What kind of EQ is that, or better yet, perhaps you could start by describing your system from source to speaker.

Some others have requested suggestions for something that has few features and meets their particular systems needs, but I think the best option cash wise is a mid level receiver with pre outs for your amps(EQ?).

But it might be helpful to find out why your 875 kept shutting off at high levels. How big is your room? How loud do you set your system for movies? Was the Onkyo overheating? How much breathing room did it have? Was it shutting down while simply driving your amps? Another component of a different brand might start shutting down too if a possible underlying issue is not addressed.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The literature shows the Danley DTS10 subs as unpowered... What are you powering them with?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

The literature shows the Danley DTS10 subs as unpowered... What are you powering them with?

eps4000 - they are working great now. A HPF and a LPF go a really really really long way on the DTS10 (and on the eps4000 which couldn't handle sub-10hz audio blips and would clip)
post #7 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Brandon, you say you just need something to process HDMI and have outputs to connect to your EQ for your amps. What kind of EQ is that, or better yet, perhaps you could start by describing your system from source to speaker.

Some others have requested suggestions for something that has few features and meets their particular systems needs, but I think the best option cash wise is a mid level receiver with pre outs for your amps(EQ?).

But it might be helpful to find out why your 875 kept shutting off at high levels. How big is your room? How loud do you set your system for movies? Was the Onkyo overheating? How much breathing room did it have? Was it shutting down while simply driving your amps? Another component of a different brand might start shutting down too if a possible underlying issue is not addressed.

Exactly - so what my friend brought up (which is a valid point) is that if the binding posts on the back of the amp are not connected to anything, it will shutoff. Mind you, this is only my first onkyo (since the first two were defective) and while I had it, besides shutting off, it was a great receiver!

Even though I was _only_ using preamps, the onkyo would shut off (which frustrated me to know end, since it was not directly load-related). I was only running at 0 - 4db, on the ending scene of tron (again, only using preamps, or by using the binding posts to the klipsches) would shut off at -1db. I did find that if I changed the front speakers LPF from 50hz to 80hz, it would not turn off until about 2db. Again, this is easily reproducible for me on one part of one scene, so I tried a lot of different scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Was the unit in a location with proper ventilation?

As for something simple to use as a processor, there's nothing cheap I know of except for maybe the Emo processor.

Maybe buy the cheapest receiver with pre outs you can find, that's not an Onkyo if you are no longer buying from them.

I have had good luck with Yamaha, if that helps.

I'll have to look into that - thank you! I may give Onkyo another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Strange things happening.
I am on my 6th Onkyo right now (905, 875, 876, 5007, 3009 and finally 5509) and none has failed on me yet.
May be i am a bit more cautions than most, because all my units had a set of fans on top of it...

I did not have fins, and wish I did, though it was not an overheating issue. I could come back from a vacation, unit is about 68 degrees Fahrenheit (room temperature) play back this one scene and this one part and it would flip into standby mode.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page