Has Onkyo solved their HDMI issues? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 03-27-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My 2 1/2 year old Onkyo Integra DHC-80.2 started showing the dreaded "Onkyo HDMI board failure" about one month ago; It has always set on a wire rack without any impediment to air cooling all around and it becomes slightly hot after one hour of use or so (not too hot, more like very/very warm), so from my experience these Onkyo A/V processors do not get much hotter than competing units, as long as they get full air circulation and cooling. I imagine that placing them inside a closet or in a tight fitting cabinet would not be a good idea.
My best friend bought an Onkyo receiver barely two years ago on my recommendation and his unit started showing the problem a couple of months ago; He took it to a local repair store which after charging him $30 to look at it informed him there was nothing they could do about it and that repairing it would be rather expensive considering its initial cost. He then contacted Onkyo and was given an address an phone number to a repair station in upstate NY which informed him that the repair for his model would cost $175; After shipping the unit he received an email warning that the repair would cost at least $300 for a receiver that cost him a little more than $400 at Amazon.com, so he told them to dump the unit and bought another receiver from Sony. He also promised never to purchase another Onkyo product and now warns everyone he knows looking to buy home electronics to stay away from Onkyo products.
So yes, the "Onkyo HDMI board failure" is still happening very/very much and there are owners reporting having their units repaired not only once but twice, three times during a period of 2 to 3 years of use, which seem outrageous and indefensible to me.
I just contacted Onkyo and was asked to email a copy of the original receipt (unit purchased online awhile ago and i can't remember seeing a receipt included in the box) and the serial number of my unit.
I am not looking forward to pulling out and labeling dozens of cables connected to my unit, removing it from the rack, packing/shipping, paying for shipping charges both ways while still unsure of the total cost of repairing what appears to be a product design flaw; Onkyo should have offered these specific repairs free of charge with the owner only having to pay for shipping the unit to an authorized repair station and everything else being taken care by Onkyo.
Very/very disappointed here....
Marcos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My 818 gets no audio from HDMI sources on boot up. I have to let the unit warm up for a few minutes, then cold boot it to get audio... probably HDMI board related. Onkyo seems to have not fixed this issue with whatever supplier is making these parts for them.
post #33 of 58 Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Liked: 13
My Onkyo receiver retails for $1,800 so I'm glad I got it at 50% off if it's garunteed to crap out in 2 years
post #34 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Would you feel the same way if your $900 washing machine, lounger, or refrigerator were to bite the big one after 25 months?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #35 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Everything breaks eventually, just a matter of when, I was under the impression my Receiver would last awhile, had I known it wouldn't I would have bought Pioneer from the beginning
post #36 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSniper View Post

Everything breaks eventually, just a matter of when, I was under the impression my Receiver would last awhile, had I known it wouldn't I would have bought Pioneer from the beginning

I have never had an AVR break and I've owned many of them. I still have an older Yamaha 2 channel amp/pre-amp that's probably 17 years old that's still doing duty in a small stereo setup for CD listening. I have had three Yamahas, a Denon, an Adcom and Marantz over the past 20 years in addition to the Onkyo.

Anecdotal maybe, but the only one that is broken is the Onkyo.
post #37 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM

So as long as we don't buy Onkyo we're safe! Lol
post #38 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Using the logic that a three year old model has problems now so they must not have solved their problem is much like saying the Seattle Seahawks sucked a few years ago so they must still suck. :rolleyes:

post #39 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGierke View Post

Using the logic that a three year old model has problems now so they must not have solved their problem is much like saying the Seattle Seahawks sucked a few years ago so they must still suck. rolleyes.gif

Mark, you might be missing the point. For one thing, the AVR that I purchased 1.8 years ago is a lot less than three years old and has started failure just barely inside the manufacturers warranty... it easily could have failed just out of warranty leaving me holding the bag for a $200-$400 repair.

Secondly, Onkyo began having failures on their HDMI components over five years ago. Every generation that has come out since people have asked "has Onkyo fixed their HDMI failures" and the answer is always "we don't know" followed 1.5-2.5 years later with units failing at what (from limited data on these forums) seems like a high rate.

If that isn't enough of a pattern for you to acknowledge that they appear to have a problem then I don't think there's much that will convince you.
post #40 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 AM

Actually I'm not missing any point. I never said that Onkyo didn't have problems, but one has only to evaluate a 929 for example to note that the new design has changed how it behaves versus earlier models (it runs very cool compared to earlier models running very hot). Will it still have problems - I don't know - we'll see. I have no issue with your position because it is based on your own experience. I do take issue with those that spout POS remarks just because they read about problems in a posting somewhere even sometime long ago.  

post #41 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I have never had an AVR break and I've owned many of them. I still have an older Yamaha 2 channel amp/pre-amp that's probably 17 years old that's still doing duty in a small stereo setup for CD listening. I have had three Yamahas, a Denon, an Adcom and Marantz over the past 20 years in addition to the Onkyo.

Anecdotal maybe, but the only one that is broken is the Onkyo.

I've owned 2 JVC, 3 Yamaha, 2 Sony, 1 Aiwa, 1 Denon, 1 Marantz, 1 Pioneer and 1 Onkyo. Out of these, the ones that have failed were the 2 JVC and the Onkyo. I don't think JVC makes receivers any more.
post #42 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually I'm not missing any point. I never said that Onkyo didn't have problems, but one has only to evaluate a 929 for example to note that the new design has changed how it behaves versus earlier models (it runs very cool compared to earlier models running very hot). Will it still have problems - I don't know - we'll see. I have no issue with your position because it is based on your own experience. I do take issue with those that spout POS remarks just because they read about problems in a posting somewhere even sometime long ago.  

The 818 also ran very cool and used only 7 watts in standby when compared to the 809 that it replaced in the Onkyo lineup.

At the end of the day, what it boils down to is what is the root cause of the issue? Onkyo clearly wants to know this since it costs them many to repair/refurb these units.

However, if Onkyo gets all of their HDMI cards from a sub-contractor and that sub-contractor's quality is not very good (pure speculation on my part but seems possible), then it is likely that any other design changes Onkyo makes won't have much of an impact on HDMI board failures which is the source of most of the problems people seem to be having.
post #43 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM

I will say that Onkyo's customer service responsiveness is much better in my experience since Gibson took over.

post #44 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

I do take issue with those that spout POS remarks just because they read about problems in a posting somewhere even sometime long ago.  

A lot of the negative comments in these forums about Bose are probably from people that don't own a Bose system.
post #45 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

A lot of the negative comments in these forums about Bose are probably from people that don't own a Bose system.

What might that have to do with Onkyo's ongoing quality control issues, being reported at AVS by Onkyo owners?
post #46 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

What might that have to do with Onkyo's ongoing quality control issues, being reported at AVS by Onkyo owners?

That you don't actually need to own a Onkyo AVR to be critical of them. We are all consumers here researching the next possible purchase and as such everybody is entitled to form an opinion of what the marketplace offers.

Just the same as how much Bose bashing goes on around here with people pointing out they are overpriced and hyped up for what you are actually getting. You don't need to have actually owned a Bose system to reach this conclusion.
Chu Gai and MKSniper like this.
post #47 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 05:10 PM

I paid $12,000 for super high end surround speakers and subwoofers and my Onkyo powers these bad boys just fine, I have a Logitech Ultimate remote and switched through a ton of inputs on my receiver and I could here the switches from one to the other like a machine gun and she still works like a champ!! My only complaint with the receiver at all is when the zone 2 blacks out for a couple seconds when you switch the main to the same source. Other than that my Onkyo is way better than the $250 Sony I owned.

My system is all THX certified and Onkyo has been partnered with THX for 20 years, that's the only reason I switched to Onkyo, my Sony worked just fine just didn't have enough power for my new speakers
post #48 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSniper View Post

I paid $12,000 for super high end surround speakers and subwoofers and my Onkyo powers these bad boys just fine

You have $12k worth of speakers and you power them with an Onkyo receiver?
old corps likes this.
post #49 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My Onkyo 3008 lasted a year until its HDMI stopped working. I kept it very well ventilated. It wasn't my fault -- it was Onkyo's fault. I had 3 Pioneer receivers previously, and after the Onkyo broke, I got a Pioneer again, to replace it, and the Pioneer sounds better. My Pioneers don't break. No more Onkyos for me.

Greg Lee
post #50 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 PM

Yes, Onkyo and Pioneer are the only receivers with enough power for 12k worth of speakers and I'm not a fan of Pioneer so Onkyo it is!
post #51 of 58 Old 03-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

What happened to it?........my 3009 is ok so far but does make a click or relay switch noise once in awhile that can be heard at low volume (not switching signals or surround modes or anything at the time when the noise happens).

Since I bought it it would lock up maybe once every 2-3 months. To fix this I would just unplug it and it would be fine for another few months.

Then about a week ago I saw a new update. I downloaded it, followed the instructions about turning off the HDMI control and Ethernet control and updated. It failed with an error and locked up. Turned it off and back on. Got the starting HDMI for about 10 mins. No sound and no speaker lights on front. Reset and it worked. Next morning turn it on and get the same exact issue.

Go in to settings and remote, network, and HDMI settings are all greyed out.

I got this receiver at over half off and it is still enough money that I am pissed that it failed 18 months after I purchased it.

I have owned many receivers over the years and this is the 3rd to fail. The other 2 had well documented issues. A Kenwood that was a piece of junk and a Harmon Kardon around the time they were having all of their issues. At least they replaced it with a much more expensive model since I had so many issues with it.
post #52 of 58 Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have not taken the last two updates for my 3009 as it does not list anything that I need....sounds like it did something to your unit.....I don't think I will buy another Onkyo .

At least I got a closeout price of $1500 (for brand new in Canada...good price here) and I have a 5 year Visions warranty that will last until August 2017.....I'm fairly sure I will be using the Onkyo 2yr or the Visions warranty. I am hoping it fails and there is a comparable HDMI 2.0 version with FINALLY FIXED HDMI boards.............this would be a dream scenario and I think it may happen.
post #53 of 58 Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
It's too early to rule out HDMI board issues for Onkyo. Mine has just failed after 5(!) years. So even if they have fixed their problems, it will be years before one can safely buy that POS brand.
post #54 of 58 Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Mine is a 2013 model so I'll let you guys know if or when it craps out, so far it works like a champ for a $1,800 POS brand.
post #55 of 58 Old 08-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just sent my 809 into Onkyo today for a failed HDMI board (no sound). They approved an out of warranty service. We will see how that goes. Very disappointed as I was just outside of the 2 yr warranty when his thing took a dump. Which seems to be pretty commonplace with these failures. A lot happen around 2 years and 4 months--see above post. I can't say if the issue is solved in Onkyos current line, but I can tell you that Onkyo has never officially recognized this as a defect. Sure they are offering out of warranty service, but chance are, they are just replacing the failed components with the same ones, Only new. I have really enjoyed my Onkyo 809, but it failed and from everything I read online, it was inevitable. That is a defect. I will be moving on to Pioneer Elite, Denon, or Marantz.

Good luck.
post #56 of 58 Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 113
if you go Onkyo or Integra...buy the 5 year extended warranty. It will likely be your friend

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #57 of 58 Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i had an 805 that back in the day was an unreal receiver but of course it died.

then i bought the 809 and had the hdmi issue everyone else has had

i will not give them a 3rd chance.
post #58 of 58 Old 08-08-2014, 10:05 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayromy View Post
Just sent my 809 into Onkyo today for a failed HDMI board (no sound). They approved an out of warranty service. We will see how that goes. Very disappointed as I was just outside of the 2 yr warranty when his thing took a dump. Which seems to be pretty commonplace with these failures. A lot happen around 2 years and 4 months--see above post. I can't say if the issue is solved in Onkyos current line, but I can tell you that Onkyo has never officially recognized this as a defect. Sure they are offering out of warranty service, but chance are, they are just replacing the failed components with the same ones, Only new. I have really enjoyed my Onkyo 809, but it failed and from everything I read online, it was inevitable. That is a defect. I will be moving on to Pioneer Elite, Denon, or Marantz.

Good luck.
Sadly i've been looking at it from the other side. My Pioneer started showing hdmi failure signs right after the 1 year warranty was up. And outright failed startup a month or two latter. Got it working again, but has big lag when switching inputs and sometimes when even changing channels. Been limping it along trying to wait for the next gen to replace it since when I talked to pioneer they wouldn't even give it a second thought, because it's out of warranty. Even calling the repair shops they recommend came down to "Pay $50 to bring it in and we'll tell you how much to fix it. Oh yea HDMI boards fail all the time on those models... but we can't tell you how much to replace it". Got the same line from all three repair shops in this area.

Been looking at the 838, but man i'm really worried about hdmi failure again. My last receiver lasted 10 years without a problem(cramped space with no circulation and running 3-5 hours a day), and i'd expect any new one to go at least half if not that long. Denon 4100x seems like a good alt for a bit more money, but oct is so far off...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page