replace receiver or replace aging amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SO I'm about to send off my Onkyo TX-NR708.

I was considering getting something newer while it's fixed then I can test it when it gets back and possibly sell it. Was considering getting a Denon AVR-3312CI and use this with the Marantz mm9000

Or

I take a chance that it'll be fixed and replace my aging Marantz mm9000 with an emotiva XPA-5

I'm not sure if the emotiva XPA-5 will sound better than the marantz.

I know one thing, it'll def be louder. Some sources have the marantz mm9000 at 150x5 or in their manual 170wx5. But I like the ratings the emotiva has a 200wx5.

Is it time to replace an aging amp or get a new receiver and get the emotiva later?

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247 View Post

SO I'm about to send off my Onkyo TX-NR708.

I was considering getting something newer while it's fixed then I can test it when it gets back and possibly sell it. Was considering getting a Denon AVR-3312CI and use this with the Marantz mm9000

Or

I take a chance that it'll be fixed and replace my aging Marantz mm9000 with an emotiva XPA-5

I'm not sure if the emotiva XPA-5 will sound better than the marantz.

I know one thing, it'll def be louder. Some sources have the marantz mm9000 at 150x5 or in their manual 170wx5. But I like the ratings the emotiva has a 200wx5.

Is it time to replace an aging amp or get a new receiver and get the emotiva later?

I see no reason why you would replace the amp before it breaks. The emo will not make a difference for sound quality.

The 3312 has MultEq XT which might be a small improvement over the 708. I found a few small differences when I upgraded from MultEq to XT but it wasn't a blind test so bias might have played a roll. Without knowing your setup it's hard to say what you should do but I don't think a new amp will give you any sound quality improvement.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Thanks. Just wanted an opinion or two. It works great, I don't think I've ever push it to it's limit, never saw an indicator turn on so the denon is probably the way to go. I was trying to get a receiver that isn't as bright. I have speakers from the TST3's and the center and surounds. Basically their rebranded Inifinity Beta's.

Not super great for music but they excel for movies. Some like some don't, but I think their better than the JBL's I had.

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

post #4 of 4 Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247 View Post

assuming the power ratings from the manufacturer are anywhere near correect, no, it won't "definitely be louder"... it would be less than a decibel louder, which would be essentially indistinguishable...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page