Recommend Denon AVR to Drive 4 ohm LR, 8 ohm C - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a display in a showroom, currently using a friend's (no longer needed) AVR-5803, driving a pair of Totem Rainmaker 4 ohm mains, and a Rainmaker 8 ohm center. I'll never have surrounds in this display. Though this AVR is a beast, and can easily drive 4 ohm speakers, I want to replace it with a new AVR (doesn't accept HDMI, OSD requires separate connection, remote is the size of a brick and unintuitive beyond imagination). I'm currently having Oppo 93 do all bass mgmt.

System is never played loud (businesses on either side). 99% of the time speakers are playing background music from Sonos. Will the AVR2312 drive these 3 speakers okay? If not, what will be behavior? How about the AVR3312? Obviously the AVR4311 is the optimum choice.

Also, the 3312 is the first AVR with pre-outs. If the 3312 can't handle the load, I know I can add a stereo amp, or a couple monoblocks, but am ideally looking for a standalone AVR for the task (cost and simple connection). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I see the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 stereo amp is rated at 80W into 4 ohms. This connected to an AVR3312 is a great way to go, but would still like to hear other thoughts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

given your proposed usage, i'd be surprised if the 2312 doesn't do the job...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
+1

In fact, the 1712 would also work well. The lower level models can generally run 4Ω speakers at average volume without issue, and most definitely at background only levels. Decide what features you want in the AVR and select the model that meets your needs.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

+1

In fact, the 1712 would also work well. The lower level models can generally run 4Ω speakers at average volume without issue, and most definitely at background only levels. Decide what features you want in the AVR and select the model that meets your needs.

Well, the feature I want is general, is a functioning display. The display is in a custom cab showroom, and folks don't generally (in fact, rarely) want to give it any kind of volume, and I know the guys in the showroom wouldn't allow it to be played too loud anyway, as, there are businesses on either side. After hours is different, but that's even more rare. So I want something to function, actually work, without overheating the amp. Good to know even lower-level AVRs can power lower impedance speakers at average (to lower) volume levels without issue. Thank you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page