Denon 1712 vs Marantz 1402 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm currently looking to replace my very old non-hdmi receiver I have in my bedroom with a new receiver. I believe I have narrowed it down to 2, being the Denon 1712 and Marantz 1402 (though I am open to any suggestions in this 399 price range)I have not been able to personally demo either of these so I am hoping you all can help me make the best decision on which to get. My current speakers are Paradigm Atom V6's and a CC290. I am going to be sticking with a 3.0 setup for now, but may add a subwoofer in the future. I have an Xbox (component only), PS3 and DirecTV receiver. So I guess my questions are how does the sound quality compare between the two? Will the difference in wattage per channel make a difference for me? Also I wasn't able to find anything about auto room correction on the Marantz but the Denon comes with the MultiEQXT. Does the Marantz have any type of auto room correction and if so how does it compare? I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

Equipment list:
Video: JVC RS45, Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D, 138" Elite EZ Frame 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR22-100,
Audio: Denon X4000, Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 V6, Center: Paradigm Monitor CC290 V6, Sides: Paradigm Atom V6, Rears: Polk TSI100.
Other: Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
The 1402 uses the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ as noted on the splash page below while the 1712 uses MultEQ XT so it would have the edge on better audio fidelity. However, note that neither model can upconvert an analog signal to HDMI so you would also have to connect a component cable from the AVR to the TV for the xBox to display on the TV. However, if you "call" either AV Science or Electronics Expo, you can pick up the Denon 2112CI for $50 more and get networking, upconversion of analog --> HDMI (but not upscaling), and MultEQ XT.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=NR1402

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 1402 uses the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ as noted on the splash page below while the 1712 uses MultEQ XT so it would have the edge on better audio fidelity. However, note that neither model can upconvert an analog signal to HDMI so you would also have to connect a component cable from the AVR to the TV for the xBox to display on the TV. However, if you "call" either AV Science or Electronics Expo, you can pick up the Denon 2112CI for $50 more and get networking, upconversion of analog --> HDMI (but not upscaling), and MultEQ XT.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=NR1402

Thanks, I took your advice and called Electronics Expo and picked up the 2112CI. What a great deal. Thanks a ton!

Equipment list:
Video: JVC RS45, Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D, 138" Elite EZ Frame 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR22-100,
Audio: Denon X4000, Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 V6, Center: Paradigm Monitor CC290 V6, Sides: Paradigm Atom V6, Rears: Polk TSI100.
Other: Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments
post #4 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
^^
Great! While waiting, review posts #3-6 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig and post in that thread if you have any setup questions.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page