Denon AVR-2809CI Zone II issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I have a Denon AVR-2809CI receiver that I love, but I'm having an issue... I am running a preamp out to another receiver for duplicated signal to zone II in another room. At high volumes, during intense bass passages, the receiver shuts down into protection mode. When Zone II is turned off at the receiver however, it never shuts down, regardless of volume level.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there an issue somewhere? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

No ideas?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Are you using the FL/FR preouts or the dedicated Zone 2 preouts? If Zone 2 preouts, do you have it set up as "fixed" or "variable" volume control? What volume is the external amp set to? What source are you playing and how is it connected? What is the volume when the 2809 shuts down?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Are you using the FL/FR preouts or the dedicated Zone 2 preouts? If Zone 2 preouts, do you have it set up as "fixed" or "variable" volume control? What volume is the external amp set to? What source are you playing and how is it connected? What is the volume when the 2809 shuts down?

THANKS for your response...

I honestly don't remember which preouts to the other amp I'm using. I'll check when I get home later tonight.

It's set up as a fixed volume.

The other amp is set fairly quiet. It's used for the kitchen, so the purpose isn't for volume.

This has happened on Blu-Ray source, and MP3 player source. The Blu-Ray is connected via HDMI, the MP3 player is connected via 1/8 inch to RCA ins.

The 2809 only shuts down when I'm pushing it. How hard depends on the source disc (some movies kill it at moderate volumes, while others it takes some higher volumes). On the MP3 player, as long as I have the output volume down fairly low I have no issues.. Like I said, when Zone II is turned off, I can drive the 2809 very hard with no issues whatsoever.

Does that help?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 AM
585-645-1006

What source audio is playing to Zone 2 when it shuts down as HDMI audio cannot go to Zone 2?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What source audio is playing to Zone 2 when it shuts down as HDMI audio cannot go to Zone 2?

I honestly don't remember how I have it set up (I did it quite a while ago), but can't an HDMI signal still be sent via RCA preamp outs?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
585-645-1006

Via the main zone preouts yes, but not via the Zone 2 preouts, which is why I asked the question. But if you're using the main zone preouts, you're not using Zone 2 at all so not sure why you're even turning it on?

post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Via the main zone preouts yes, but not via the Zone 2 preouts, which is why I asked the question. But if you're using the main zone preouts, you're not using Zone 2 at all so not sure why you're even turning it on?

I lose signal to the other amp when zone two is shut down, so I must be using the zone 2 pre-outs.

That means that I'm running a component cable (as well as HDMI) from the Blu-Ray player. I remember toying with that idea. That must be how it's run.

Keep in mind, I have the same issue with my MP3 player, which runs 1/8-to RCA ins.

Thanks for your help so far! I'm sorry for the multiple questions. I'm fairly new at this, and not having the ability to run digital outs to zone two made my wiring issues a nightmare.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM
585-645-1006

It more likely means you're running either an optical or analog cable from the PS3 as component would be video only. The 2809 can pass PCM 2.0 over optical or digital coax as well as analog 2.0 over RCA to Zone 2. What external amp are you using and what inputs do you have the 2809 preouts connected to on the external amp?

If you're not running a 7.1 in the main zone (or if you are, just as a test, disconnect the rear surround speakers and set AMP ASSIGN to Zone 2), you may want to try letting the 2809 power the kitchen speakers. If it works without the 2809 shutting down, it may mean there is some kind of issue with the external amp.

As a last resort, try resetting the microprocessor (p. 60) with the understanding that it will require you to run AUTO SETUP and reconfigure the AVR again.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It more likely means you're running either an optical or analog cable from the PS3 as component would be video only. The 2809 can pass PCM 2.0 over optical or digital coax as well as analog 2.0 over RCA to Zone 2. What external amp are you using and what inputs do you have the 2809 preouts connected to on the external amp?

If you're not running a 7.1 in the main zone (or if you are, just as a test, disconnect the rear surround speakers and set AMP ASSIGN to Zone 2), you may want to try letting the 2809 power the kitchen speakers. If it works without the 2809 shutting down, it may mean there is some kind of issue with the external amp.

As a last resort, try resetting the microprocessor (p. 60) with the understanding that it will require you to run AUTO SETUP and reconfigure the AVR again.

The external amp is an Onkyo receiver. Not sure of the model. It's a newer one, but it's entry level. I'm not sure what input I'm using. I was using it as my main receiver before I got the Denon and never had an issue with it, so I don't think that's the problem.

I will try your test tonight. If there was an issue with the speakers or speaker wiring, would that even effect the Denon, seeing as though it's only attached to the Onkyo via RCA cables? I'd think if it was going to shut down an amp, it'd shut down the Onkyo. That's just my uneducated guess though!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2809ci 7 1 Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page