Crown XLS2000 & XLS1000: How much ampere do they pull? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I cannot seem to find how much ampere these amplifiers pull when running their full load. I just want to make sure I hook up enough dedicated 20A circuits so that I never have to worry about a circuit breaker tripping. I will have three XLS2000s and five XLS1000s in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Based on threads on this sort of thing in the past, you should not have to worry about all amps trying to pull their peak amperage at once. Also, it takes a bit of time to overload a circuit. The amp may pull peak current for very short periods of time, but perhaps not enough to pop breakers.

People have hooked their entire home theater including multiple amps up to a 15 amp circuit and not popped . I have a plasma TV, receiver, and two amps plus some other sources like PS3 and Tivo AND lights, and have no issues on a 15 A circuit. Never blown a breaker, but I have dimmed lights, I think mainly if I turn on gear at same time.

I am no expert, but a single 20 A circuit for your amps would likely ensure no dimming of lights and such under any inrush conditions (the Crowns might have inrush limiters in any case.) And ensure the amps would not intefere with other gear. But I would think you would then increase chance of ground loop hum by having amps on one circuit and sources and pre amps on another.

There might be a DIY/HT forum here where people have more info on this topic.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

People have hooked their entire home theater including multiple amps up to a 15 amp circuit and not popped . I have a plasma TV, receiver, and two amps plus some other sources like PS3 and Tivo AND lights, and have no issues on a 15 A circuit. Never blown a breaker, but I have dimmed lights, I think mainly if I turn on gear at same time. I am no expert, but a single 20 A circuit for your amps would likely ensure no dimming of lights and such under any inrush conditions.

Michael - thank you for your reply. Below is the wiring diagram for our commercial dinner theater. At max SPL, I may be pulling as much as 4,200 Watts from my eight Crown XLS amplifiers. Add to this a (1) DVR (TV), (2) Blueray, (3) DVR (Security), (4) 7.2 Preamp, and (5) server case fans.

Also, your lights can only dim if they are on the same circuit as something else that suddenly pulls a large load, similar to a circular saw plugged into a convenience receptacle that is tied to the lights. I plan to run a dedicated 20A circuit to the server case; so it would be impossible for the load to dim any lights. My issue is that I just have no idea what the power requirements are of the setup below and do not want to risk tripping a breaker if everything is cranked for a movie or a live band.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked: 10
A 15A circuit (using the 80% rule) can support 1440 watts and a 20A circuit can support 1920 watts. So for example, if one (or any combination) of your amps is consistantly outputing 1700 watts, then you would need one dedicated 20A circuit for that amp and a seperate dedicated circuit for anything else.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Ah, this is not for a home setup. We are out of my league here A larger room calls for more power, so I have no advice, sorry.

The reason my lights dim, with amps powering up, is because they have large capacitors which are charging, thus creating a high current load for a brief period.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I own (4) XLS 1000's and (2) 1500's.

And while they're just in my living room, I can tell you that I've never tripped a 15A breaker upon turn-on...all 6 at once via 12 volt.

I can also reach oppressive (100+ db) levels in my 30X16 living/dining room with ~90db sens speakers with and never see my Panamax drawing more than 8-10 amps from the wall and that's also with my power-hungry Kuro running which is good for 5-7 amps on its own.

Long story short, on a 20 amp circuit I'm pretty sure you'd have to be pushing these near/past their limits to run into problems.

EDIT: looking now that you'll have (4) subs, I'd normally suggest a second line, but again, you're talking about "just" a couple hundred watts for the pairs coming from the 1000. Will that accomplish your spl goals? Perhaps they're horn-loaded designs so the answer is "yes". ?

Room size/listening distance and desired output levels are going to be the keys to the city, here.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I would also tell you that you can be fairly certain that simply dividing their maximum rated power into a given impedance by 120 will yield an amperage that will be ballpark enough for your purposes.

So, if you're running a pair of 8 ohm cabs off the 1000, you can figure 215 watts aside / 120 = 3.58 AMPs.

That's MAX continuous, of course there will be peaks, but unless you're running a 15 channel stereo array, I doubt- even collectively- that they will trip a 20 A breaker.

Regardless of the size of your room, the reality is these amps are just 2-400 watts a channel and are only going to draw so much out of the wall.

How large is this room, anyway, because at some point you have to start accounting for 15 speakers enhancing overall output unless we're talking about at truly gigantic space, in which case, these are prolly not the best amp choices to begin with.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I own (4) XLS 1000's and (2) 1500's.

And while they're just in my living room, I can tell you that I've never tripped a 15A breaker upon turn-on...all 6 at once via 12 volt.

I can also reach oppressive (100+ db) levels in my 30X16 living/dining room with ~90db sens speakers with and never see my Panamax drawing more than 8-10 amps from the wall and that's also with my power-hungry Kuro running which is good for 5-7 amps on its own.

Long story short, on a 20 amp circuit I'm pretty sure you'd have to be pushing these near/past their limits to run into problems.

EDIT: looking now that you'll have (4) subs, I'd normally suggest a second line, but again, you're talking about "just" a couple hundred watts for the pairs coming from the 1000. Will that accomplish your spl goals? Perhaps they're horn-loaded designs so the answer is "yes". ?

Room size/listening distance and desired output levels are going to be the keys to the city, here.

James

I understand that four F20s running 300W each had a max SPL of 130dB at [60Hz?] and are still producing 106dB at 20Hz. I think that will be enough...even for our room lol.

The main room is 45'L x 30'W with an open and adjacent stage that is 19' x 9'. Overall volume is about 22,000 cubic feet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page