Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112

Coming this Weekend!!!
LL

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
cool ... been trying to see if i could listen to one locally, but haven't found one. Mind telling where you bought it, and for how much?
post #3 of 53 Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Saw this through Sony Japan a few weeks ago, really interested in their DCAC upgrades/features (this is all based on a brochure, not any sort of hard science) - it sounds a lot like the R-972 with Trinnov, but with more modern features behind it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 53 Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Liked: 15
There's a review of this receiver in the latest issue of Home Theater magazine. It hasn't been posted online yet but should be soon I would think.

post #5 of 53 Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am comparing it to an Onkyo 3009 so this head to head match should be good.

post #6 of 53 Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am comparing it to an Onkyo 3009 so this head to head match should be good.

I'd take the Onkyo, but I have an Integra DHC 80.3 so I may be biased.

post #7 of 53 Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

I'd take the Onkyo, but I have an Integra DHC 80.3 so I may be biased.

As many here know I have been very pro Onkyo (having probably at least 25 of their Receivers here) but I will be 100% unbiased. I will tell it like it is.

post #8 of 53 Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Working hard on this one....

post #9 of 53 Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Click on my HOME PAGE to the left under my name...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #10 of 53 Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

LL
LL

post #11 of 53 Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

LL
LL

post #12 of 53 Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Watched a few more movies lately. The more we do the more impressed I am with the 5700ES.

post #13 of 53 Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10
I have one and I think I love it.

The problem I’m having is if I’m watching TV on SAT and want to watch a BD or DVD I turn on the BDP780 player and the STRDA5700ES comes on and switches to BD input. That works good, now the movie is over, remove disc and power down the player and the Receiver powers down also…good so far, the input didn’t change from BD so the TV will not receive SAT info.

I tried turning on “pass-thru” and you still have to turn on the Receiver ON and push cable/sat button.

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to make life easer for the rest of the family.mad.gif

TV: Sony KDL60NX720

Receiver: Sony STRDA5700ES

BluRay: Sony BDP780

Sat DirecTV

Cables: HDMI 1.4
post #14 of 53 Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Turn off Hdmi control devices in the set up menu. I believe both have them defaulted to ON.

post #15 of 53 Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 AM

Thanks joerod,

I’ll give that a try but won’t that turn off the auto function that is working I.E. turn on BD and receiver turns on and switches to BD output to TV?

John
post #16 of 53 Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Just got mine today. In a few weeks I will have it plugged in and ready to go.
post #17 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got the 5700ES about a week ago and I like it. I haven't used D.C.A.C. yet but I look forward to doing that soon and I'm trying to figure out what the Sound Optimizer does exactly. When it's on it sounds like there's an increase in gain or something. Anyways, after about 20 hours of play 2 channel stereo sounds great. I'm surprised that there isn't an owners thread yet.

Sony DA5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
post #18 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 AM

As my STR-DA4ES has recently lost its surround left channel (amp is dead/dying works, then doesnt, sometimes a smack will bring it back for a brief moment. Something that sounds like a complex fix for amp about a decade old), I am heavily considering the 5700ES.

However, I have a few questions that are not clearly answered in specs. As I have no local retailer that sells this, I may just have to pull the trigger and order without hearing it first. Hearing it is a crapshoot anyway considering your room / speakers etc.

Firstly, the specs include 1080/p upconversion. Does this also apply to the component jacks? Will ALL (including 1080i/p component) material be upconverted to 1080p out the HDMI jacks? I have a four year old plasma TV and it's built in 1080i conversion is pretty crappy, I figure this would be good to know how this feature is on this unit.

Secondly, is it easy to assign what to tell it to do with less than 1080p signals? The Onkyo NR818 for example can be set to leave pass through as the option of choice on any input. I would not want to introduce any additional lag into my game consoles.

Thirdly, it mentions speaker reassignment? Does this mean you can literally plug all the cables in however you want then set them all through the settings? As in say you connect center to front left, you could assign it so it was proper in the menus? (a setting like this on the STR-DA4ES would mean I wouldn't be looking to upgrade because the two surround back channels work perfect on it and I only use it for 5.1)

Finally, is it possible to watch one source and listen to another without getting too complicated? I figure you could always do this with zone 2 HDMI out, set it to one thing, then set main to another, set TV to according input of "zone 2". This is a great feature to say mix in your own music with PS2 (and even PS3) as well as older gaming console hardware. This is further complicated because the source I need to listen is the preamp in (or multi ch in, as was previously called)

With the recent price reductions on this model (likely due to the 5800ES's impending launch) this one looks like a really good deal right now. I am comparing it to the Onkyo NR818, which probably is a better quality amp, but I do love Sony's gimmicky menus and features, and I NEED a preamp input for the analog outs on my HTPC. One day Ill get a card with HDMI audio inlay, but my X-Fi Prelude is still the best overall card Ive personally heard.

Thanks in advance!
post #19 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Only the analog (RCAs like component) can be up converted to 1080p out of the Hdmi outs. All Hdmi inputs only do pass through.

post #20 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCom View Post

Secondly, is it easy to assign what to tell it to do with less than 1080p signals? The Onkyo NR818 for example can be set to leave pass through as the option of choice on any input. I would not want to introduce any additional lag into my game consoles.

Thirdly, it mentions speaker reassignment? Does this mean you can literally plug all the cables in however you want then set them all through the settings? As in say you connect center to front left, you could assign it so it was proper in the menus? (a setting like this on the STR-DA4ES would mean I wouldn't be looking to upgrade because the two surround back channels work perfect on it and I only use it for 5.1)

Finally, is it possible to watch one source and listen to another without getting too complicated? I figure you could always do this with zone 2 HDMI out, set it to one thing, then set main to another, set TV to according input of "zone 2". This is a great feature to say mix in your own music with PS2 (and even PS3) as well as older gaming console hardware. This is further complicated because the source I need to listen is the preamp in (or multi ch in, as was previously called)

With the recent price reductions on this model (likely due to the 5800ES's impending launch) this one looks like a really good deal right now. I am comparing it to the Onkyo NR818, which probably is a better quality amp, but I do love Sony's gimmicky menus and features, and I NEED a preamp input for the analog outs on my HTPC. One day Ill get a card with HDMI audio inlay, but my X-Fi Prelude is still the best overall card Ive personally heard.
Thanks in advance!

You can manually select the main zone output resolution that you want up to 1080p or use Auto or Direct but I don't think that it can be adjusted per input source. You can't plug in the speaker cables however you want. You may be refering to the Speaker Relocation option which does virtual speaker placement based on 5.1 or 7.1 specifications. Whatever it does I leave it off. Oh one thing. The GUI takes around 30 seconds to show up on the screen after the receiver is turned on. That's annoying.

Sony DA5700ES
post #21 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 AM

Thanks Joerod and Alec88, it sounds like it will do what I mostly need it to, convert the 1080i component video of my cablebox to 1080p HDMI. I would worry about the HDMI of the cable box, but I use a PC DVR sometimes to record programming, only works with component.

As for the power up issue, I think this is pretty common. The Onkyo 818 takes 15 seconds or so before it does anything at all. AVRs these days are computers connected to power amplifiers. A lot's changed in the decade since those 64bit DSPs were all the rage eh?

The other thing I really need to know about this is if it's possible to watch any HDMI or Component source and switch the audio source (to say the SACD / multi channel or even another HDMI source), without it either shutting off the current video selection, or changing it? I think the DA4ES use to power off video options when in multi channel input mode, but it didn't matter cause it couldn't handle HDMI. As I said, I figure this can be done with zones, but it would be nice if it could be done otherwise and without redundant cables (as in using zone 2 plugged into the second HDMI jack on my TV)

Also, I am a bit confused about Sony's ES warranty these days. When I got my DA4ES, I got it from J&R and of course they are an authorized dealer. But now I am seeing things like if this unit is marked down below certain costs, the 5 year warranty will not apply? Or is it the same deal, authorized Sony dealers only. Buy.com has it the lowest I've seen as an apparently authorized dealer.
post #22 of 53 Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 AM

DeathCom I don't have an answer to the audio/video switching question. Right now I'm just using a single hdmi input until I get a new BD player and a standalone cd player. As long as you get an ES product from an authorized ES dealer the warranty should be good even if someone calls to order it. Now maybe it's the same for regular sony dealers too but don't quote me on that. With Ebay or amazon there might be problems. You can always get it directly from sony's online store though. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_ES_Receivers

Some good news on the slow GUI load time. I discovered that the GUI loads much faster when Network Standby is set to "On". It's an option in System Settings.

Sony DA5700ES
post #23 of 53 Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The power up issue isn't too bad - while it won't go to the menu for 30 seconds it's audio/video capabilities are good to go as soon as the unit is switched on. It defaults to whatever source you had selected last, say if it was a PS3 then as soon as you turn the PS3 on the audio and video work instantaneously. It's just the on screen UI that takes time to load up.

As far as having separate inputs for video and audio it is simple to do; under "input settings" you can select both video and audio input settings separately. Say you want to play a game and listen to a SA-CD you can set the "GAME" video input to HDMI 1 (where your console is plugged in) and set the audio input to coaxial 3 (where you SACD player is plugged in), so when you select the "GAME" input on your receiver your PS3 will be displayed on the TV while the audio is coming from your SACD player. I don't know if this can be changed on the fly with a single button press but it's quick and easy anyway.

I'm pretty sure the ES warranty is still the same; you need to purchase it from Sony directly or from an authorised dealer. That's what it says on the warranty sheet I received with my 5700ES.
post #24 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Has anyone has a problem when the unit shuts off and goes into protection mode?

This happens to me usually during high packed action movies.
I have the receiver in the cabinet but i have the doors open when the receiver is on.
post #25 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottled View Post

I have the receiver in the cabinet but i have the doors open when the receiver is on.

Check all wires and make sure they are all secure with no rips and in the correct position. Then check again. smile.gif

post #26 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottled View Post

I use mine in a 5.1 setup with speakers that dip down to 4ohms and have never had it shut off, even at seriously loud volumes (for testing).

If it's still shutting off after you've checked everything as joerod said you might want to reposition it or get some fans like these for cooling.
post #27 of 53 Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 PM

I am ordering the fans.

I dont even have speakers hooked up and it does it. So it must be the heat from being in the cabinet
post #28 of 53 Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Mine hasn't shut down yet. The cabinet it's in gives the receiver 2 inches on each side and 3 inches in back. It has a door but I keep it open for movies. Sometimes I keep it closed if I'm only listening to music in stereo but it won't shut off.

Sony DA5700ES
post #29 of 53 Old 09-29-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello:

I just joined this club with the purchase of the 5700 at an unbellieveable price. Was looking at a few others when I came across this deal. Pretty cool unit. and sounds great. Just a couple of streaming issues with my pj need to be worked out. Nice solid unit lots of neat tricks great sQ . The graphics are really nice. Really just my first day with it a lot to learn. I would reccomend this to anyone especially with some of the great deals out there. The new uppcomming 5800's big diff is 9 channel amp.

post #30 of 53 Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So is there anyone out there with this receiver or am I on an island alone. I am amazed at the performance of this unit. I cannot believe the accuracy of the set up just needed to tone down the base a bit and the ease of use is incredable. any oneelse using the 5700.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page