Which receiver to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know these threads pop up all the time, and for that I apologize. I know i'm not contributing as much as just needing assistance, but here I go anway.

I currently have an Onkyo 805. It only has 3 HDMI inputs, and i would like at least 4 (need four) and would like to have a bit of room to grow (but not 100% required).

I run a 5.2 speaker set up right now. I don't have any near term plans to make it 7.2.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 3D projector and need a receiver that can match that.

There are just so many options with this feature or that feature, i just don't know which to go with. obviously i'd prefer not to spend more than i have to. I would love the ability to use airplay, but its not essential as i have a airport express that i use on my current receiver as just an airplay destination for music.

Tips for best bang for my buck based on my needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

for now, how about just getting an inexpensive hdmi switch to get you the additional hdmi ports you need? something like this switch from monoprice would do you just fine...

click me

and then when you do get the 3d pj, make the decision on an avr then... since there's no "need" for it today, and tech trickles down, you are likely to get more/better features for your buck down the road a bit...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, in fact I have that exact same switch that I use with my HK 745 and it works great. I'd highly recommend it.

Unfortunately my 745 bit the bullet last night, so I'm going to have to start researching receivers again.

~kyle
post #4 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks the the link for the switch. It's an idea I toyed with, but I should have been more specific about the new projector. That is something I hope to add sooner rather than later...within the next couple of months. I guess it didn't make sense to me to spend anything in a switcher if I need a receiver soon anyway.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

ime/imo, the "killer app/feature" for dual sub users is audyssey xt32... the best "bang for the buck" option there is the denon 4311... commonly available for slightly more than 1300 simoleons...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm...those both look really nice, but i was hoping for more like the 300-500 dollar range. haha.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
The yamaha rd-v671 is a good choice in that price range. It has a lot of features and great build quality if that is important to you. It seems most people these days choose features, usable or not over reliability and build quality, which is fine if you plan on upgrading every couple of years. But if you want something that will last I would steer toward reliability, since most modern avr's are more than capable of meeting your needs as far as features go.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

The yamaha rd-v671 is a good choice in that price range. It has a lot of features and great build quality if that is important to you. It seems most people these days choose features, usable or not over reliability and build quality, which is fine if you plan on upgrading every couple of years. But if you want something that will last I would steer toward reliability, since most modern avr's are more than capable of meeting your needs as far as features go.

+1

I own the non network version of that receiver the RX-V667

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #9 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Thanks guys. I appreciate the leads.

I've been flipping through the Yamaha line up and i find both the "RX-A710BL" and the "RX-V671". They are very close in price and it seems like in features (same HDMI inputs, both have zone 2 which i need).

Which is better? It seems like maybe one is the 'best" of the low end and the other sort of brings up the rear of the better tier.

Thanks!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i still like my idea better...

send the bdp directly to the pj with hdmi and use spdif to the avr for sound*.... i am NOT an onkyo fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the 805 isn't legendary amoungst "onkyo-philes" without reason... either of the avrs you are looking at would be a significant downgrade...

alternatively, spend the 500 on an oppo bdp-93 if it's really burning a hole in your pocket... but the outlined solution is free... free is never a bad option...

* do not concern yourself with "losing" the lossless codecs by connecting in this manner... on the best of equipment with the best of setups, the difference between the lossless codec and the high bit rate lossy codecs on bd's are VERY subtle, and not noticeable at all in an average home environment...

- chris

post #11 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM

The aventage line focuses a little more on build quality and noise reduction, but you may see a slight drop in power at the bottom end of the line compared to the top end of the rx-v series. The aventage line offers extremely low ftc rated distortion levels though. .06% at 110wpc 2channels driven in the A810 I believe.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I dont know if it makes any differnece, but since you guys are so helpful, i thought i'd mention what my speakers are.

I have Definitive Technology speakers. My fronts are the BP7006 with the built in subwoofers. My center channel is the matching def tech. CS-8040HD.

My surrounds are both Def tech also- SR-8040BP

From my understanding these can all take a lot of power. I like listening to movies loudly, but my room is not great acoustically so there are a lot of rattles and shakes when i turn it up loud and it takes you out of it a bit.

I doubt this helps shed any light on which of those receivers to get. I dont want to downgrade from the onkyo 805, but i need features it doesnt have. I have already done all of the cable runs for the projector and I really would like to avoid having to run another HDMI cable to the ceiling mount.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
You can get a Denon 2112CI for <$450 shipped from an authorized dealer, I'd check out the first few posts of this thread to see if it has the features you need. I have several relatives with a 2112 and its a pretty solid receiver for the price.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page