Looking for new receiver direction - time to move out of the stone age! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi all!

I've never known much about receivers, and the only one I've owned (and still own) is a Harmon Kardon AV230. It powers an old set of Infinity Primus speakers, specifically a C25 center, 250 fronts, 150 rears and a PS10 sub.

I've only used my receiver for output, with optical cables feeding into it from my devices. All of my devices have been plugged directly into my TV.

I just upgraded my TV from a 42PWD6UY that's roughly 8 years old or so to a new 3D Panasonic. I'd like to run a single HDMI cable to the TV from the receiver, and actually have all of my devices run through the receiver via HDMI. The devices are:
  • Motorola DCX2400 DVR
  • Sony BDP-s570 3D blu-ray player
  • Xbox 360

I'd like to spend $300-500 on the unit, with $500 the max. I'll still be driving the same speakers, no change or upgrade there.

I would love any feedback and direction as I begin to scour sites for more information on what I'm assuming falls into the "affordable" receiver world.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Pioneer 1121 $499 (the new 1122 will list for $599).

Also look at the H/K 2600 on Amazon (currently out of stock), Denon 1712, Onkyo 709 (maybe over budget), and Yamaha 571.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post

Pioneer 1121 $499 (the new 1122 will list for $599).

Also look at the H/K 2600 on Amazon (currently out of stock), Denon 1712, Onkyo 709 (maybe over budget), and Yamaha 571.

Thank you! I'll do some digging on those three tabs. Thanks for pointing me in right direction.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All of those seem very similar. How do you decide which brand to go with?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

All of those seem very similar. How do you decide which brand to go with?

I've been reading the threads here so I can get some user reviews, and other basic online searches. There is a sale on the Pioneer this this weekend, so I might just buy that one. I was partial to Harmon Kardon only be because I have one, but I have no loyalty.

I have a feeling my ear isn't trained enough to hear a significant difference between these receivers, and visually I could care less what it looks like, since it'll sit in a cabinet. I just want something modern that'll let me hook up all of my devices through it and not negatively impact the pq or audio quality.

-JR

post #6 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'd jump on that 1121 for $399 at newegg.com. Great price from an authorized dealer. Wait and they may all be gone. Pioneers have some of the best connectivity out there. Only real weekness is they only allow one crossover setting for all speaker groups so if you have large towers and tiny satellites that may be a concern. And MCACC doesn't eq the sub but that's not a deal killer to me. Otherwize, great for the price.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page