Receiver that will send CEC signals TO the display? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got an old plasma monitor that was used as sort of a digital signage, but now I'm repurposing it as an HDTV. The problem is, there's no IR port for remote control, and the only way to turn it on/off is by literally plugging it in. The panel used to go to sleep and wake up via the proprietary box (which had a remote) that would push content to it, and all that had was an HDMI cable, so I assume it sent a CEC signal to the display letting it know to wake up (or sleep)

My current receiver (TX-NR708) doesn't seem to support turning the TV on/off via CEC from the receiver, just turning the receiver on/off via CEC from the TV. Are there any brands of receivers out there that support both directions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I believe that the Yamaha may do it (ie TV or Receiver turns the other on)

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Bump for more eyes/solid information

Thanks in advance
post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post

I've got an old plasma monitor that was used as sort of a digital signage, but now I'm repurposing it as an HDTV. The problem is, there's no IR port for remote control, and the only way to turn it on/off is by literally plugging it in. The panel used to go to sleep and wake up via the proprietary box (which had a remote) that would push content to it, and all that had was an HDMI cable, so I assume it sent a CEC signal to the display letting it know to wake up (or sleep)

My current receiver (TX-NR708) doesn't seem to support turning the TV on/off via CEC from the receiver, just turning the receiver on/off via CEC from the TV. Are there any brands of receivers out there that support both directions?

i wouldn't "assume" anything... it's entirely possible that it "wakes on input"...

what's the make/model of the monitor?

cec, by definition, is bi-directional..

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 5 Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i wouldn't "assume" anything... it's entirely possible that it "wakes on input"...

Sadly it doesn't go to sleep when there's no HDMI signal, or the cable is unplugged

Quote:

what's the make/model of the monitor?

It's completely brandless. I'll have to open the back panel when I get a chance to see if there's any panel information

Quote:

cec, by definition, is bi-directional..

But my current receiver doesn't seem to support both directions. When I have it hooked up to a normal Sony KDL-40EX720, the receiver turns on when I use the HDTV remote to turn on the TV, but if I use the receiver remote to turn on the receiver, the HDTV stays doesn't turn on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page