Low-end 5.1 suggestions -- computer speaker system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a low-end 5.1 system for my new computer. What is the best integrated amp for under $200? I intend to be feeding it off of a Creative Labs Sound Blaster. Right now, I am looking at something like the Yamaha RX-V371BL, Denon AVR-391, or Pioneer VSX-821-K.

Can anyone recommend a speaker system to go with this, ideally in the $200-300 range? The Paradigm Cinema CT (70/90/100/110 series) look nice but are at least 2-3x that price range, possibly the Martin Logan MLT1 or MLT2.

Damn it Jim, I'm a physicist, not an engineer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

I took the Martin Logan MLT1s. Looking to choose between the Yamaha and the Denon, I think. Suggestions or commentary?

Damn it Jim, I'm a physicist, not an engineer!
post #3 of 3 Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 AM

Either one would be good, I'd think. At this price point I think it really comes down to price and features. It looks like neither of the models you linked to has any of the proprietary features (auto-setup & room-EQ) that might represent a difference between brands.

One thing to note is that the THD spec on the Yamaha website doesn't match what's on the Amazon page (0.9% instead of 0.06%). I can't find a current Denon page for the 391, but as far as I can tell it's the same amplifier section as the 1312/1612. Comparing apples-to-apples, the power difference isn't significant (80W vs. 75W w/ 2ch driven).

Personally I'm partial to Denon (using a 1612 right now), but I've never owned a Yamaha so I can't comment on them beyond the numbers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page