Need help asap Pioneer receiver not feeding through to tv - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an vsk 821 I am trying to feed my samsung pnd8000 via hdmi is there a way to pair the receiver with the tv? It seems to recognize that an hdmi port is plugged in but I get nothing as far as video goes?

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

when it picks up the hdmi port it goes from no signal to check connections and it is showing that hdmi one is active

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
post #3 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM

What are you trying to feed through it. Is it a cable box, DVD, etc? Maybe the problem is a setting on that device that you need to set to output via HDMI? Just brainstorming.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

tv feeds to outport on pioneer receiver, b-dvd player, comcast box, and 360 feeds to the hdmi input on the receiver. I have wents in the setup and tried turning hdmi off then back on but I still get the same message on screen, check cables an power or connections. when I unplug or turn receiver off tv just displays no signal. Please someone had to have delt with this before need help and would greatly appreciate it.

post #5 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

C'mon guys 156 views an no help.

post #6 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM

So just to confirm, everything is going from the sources to the 821 via HDMI, and then from the 821 to the TV also via HDMI. None of the sources are connected to the 821 with any other type of cable?

This receiver does not have a video converter, signals from composite and component video will not be able to be converted to the HDMI video out to the TV.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

answer your first q is yes

answer to your second q is no, I pulled this receiver out of my small game room to put in my living room everything was working via hdmi in the game room but once I hooked it up to my living room tv it sees the hdmi but it seems like it won't pair any sources with my tv.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 397
is the hdmi led light on the front panel of the Pioneer blinking? if yes, then there is a handshake problem with the receiver and TV and there's nothing that can be done....you could try a different cable.

if no, then have you tried connecting up a source directly to the TV? if you get video & audio, then the problem is with something in the signal passing thru the receiver.

-do you have HDMI Control turned on in the receiver? if yes, turn it off. it may not be compatible with Samsung's version.

-are you sure you have the player or other sources' resolution set to Auto & not Source Direct or something similar? Auto usually works if a manually set resolution is not compatible with the TV. if it's deep color enabled and the source is set to 480i/p then you won't get a picture.

-are you sure you have the receiver's hdmi output set correctly in the menu?

-Although I'm a long term Pio owner, I'm not familiar with your model specifically. if you have 2 hdmi outputs, did you set the menu to output to the correct one?

-did you assign the hdmi inputs in the receiver to BD or leave them straight HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc?

without more info & what you've already done to diagnose the problem, not much anyone can do to help

that should get you started I won't be able to respond any more today so good luck & maybe some others can chime in

Steve
post #9 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

q1-hdmi led on receiver is solid, not blinking.

q2-Yes I have hooked the hdmi cable directly from tv to dvr and all works well.

q3-I set the hdmi input to on in menu setting but nothing else

q4-I dunno I didnt see anything on that

q5- hdmi input on my receiver are pre labeled ie bd, dvd, dvr, and video 1

q4

post #10 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

what I would really like to know is how you guys with a pioneer receiver set up your hdmi pass through settings

post #11 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoX85 View Post

what I would really like to know is how you guys with a pioneer receiver set up your hdmi pass through settings

hdmi pass through on Pioneers are a little finicky. I had 2 of them in the past couple years and couldn't get it to work on either. Having said that, there are plenty of owners that have successfully done it.

I think you should do a hard reset. Electronics are weird that way. My Denon exhibited some weird behavior when I had to unplugged it. Last time I unplugged it for a week due to reno., I finally got ARC to work which it never did before.

it's on page 46 of your manual.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

tried hard reset and nothing

post #13 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
mmmh, not a good sign. A hard reset would fix and override all accidental buttons or setting that could have occurred.

just to be clear, when a source is selected, the red light is not blinking suggesting that the source is choosing the correct input (hdmi, comp, coax, etc) You should see that on the right mid corner of the receiver's display.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

yes red light is solid, but the strange thing is that I pulled the receiver out of my game room working, which leads me to believe it's something with pairing.

post #15 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

when I unplug or turn receiver off tv just displays no signal.

I did have time to post again.

That sounds like what you mean is HDMI pass-through - receiver off but still passing HDMI to TV.
Sorry, but you're posts are not making clear what you want to do or what's happening, at least to me

Are you getting HDMI video & audio from source to the receiver when the receiver is turned On? Can you see video on TV when receiver is On? That's the big question I'm not sure you've made clear enough.

If you get video & audio when receiver is On, then it's a pass-through problem or setup issue. I can't help you with that, unfortunately.

If you don't even get video & audio when the receiver is On, then that's entirely different. Could be handshake problem between receiver & TV. Or settings like Pioneer's HDMI Control (they also called it KuroLink at 1 time) - make sure you turn HDMI Control off for troubleshooting purposes. If your receiver can use its video converter processor on HDMI, turn it off too, again for troubleshooting purposes.

If all you're trying to do is get pass-through to work, and you're sure you have it set up in the menu as Pioneer describes in the manual, then it probably will not work with that TV/receiver combination.

Steve
post #16 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

yes red light is solid, but the strange thing is that I pulled the receiver out of my game room working, which leads me to believe it's something with pairing.

Semantics....there is no such thing as pairing with HDMI like a cell phone pairing with Bluetooth.

The correct terminology which would make it clear to everyone trying to help you is handshake Actually, "HDCP" to be perfectly accurate. The handshake is a set a encrypted copy protection protocols that MUST be passed between the source and the display or there will be no video/audio.

With a receiver in the middle, there are 2 parts to the handshake - the receiver has to accept the protocol sent by source to a HDMI receiver chip, match it with its onboard data. It that's good, then the signal gets regenerated & sent to the display by the receiver's HDMI transmitter chip and that's where problems can occur. It's all supposed to be backwards compatible between all the versions of HDMI (1.0 to 1.4) but in reality, sometimes it doesn't work. Cable/sat boxes can be problematic.

Not trying to be picky, since I think I know what you meant by pairing, but it's not an accurate description & is misleading to someone trying to help

If the red LED on the receiver is on steady, NOT blinking, then there is nothing wrong with the handshake and the signal is being passed from source to display. If it is blinking, then the handshake is not going to the TV and there is nothing you can do about it, other than try cables or possibly use a different input on the rec. The handshake uses an identifier code, which all devices will have, so if there's a mismatch between what's embedded in the receiver or source and the TV, the handshake can't be made and you'll get no video/audio even if the connection is electrically sound.

Just because it worked in your game room is irrelevant. Different TV so not an indicator of what will work with the Samsung unless it's the same model TV, of course.

I think you're trying to set up a Pass-through from your post but I could be wrong, since it's not clear what you are experiencing from your posts.

If you really do have no picture when the receiver is turned on and the red light is steady, I suggest making sure you have the player and cable box resolutions are correctly set to match your samsung.

Cable boxes, DVR's - 1080i max if HD capable, 480i if std definition.
Blu-ray player - set to Auto, 1080p

Steve
post #17 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Looking at the manual I can across something that seemed odd to me. If you have it connected via HDMI to the TV, the on-screen display does not appear. You have to connect it with an analog RCA cable. You should switch the TV input to analog so you can see the menu. Then you can go through and do some setup. Not sure if you can get to everything on the unit itself without the on-screen display.

You can then go in and turn off HDMI Control, Deep color settings, resolution settings or whatever else is in there. Unfortunately I don't have one of these to see exactly what options you have on this unit or the TV to tinker with.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradovinski View Post

Looking at the manual I can across something that seemed odd to me. If you have it connected via HDMI to the TV, the on-screen display does not appear. You have to connect it with an analog RCA cable.

true that

Steve
post #19 of 21 Unread 12-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by stradovinski

Looking at the manual I can across something that seemed odd to me. If you have it connected via HDMI to the TV, the on-screen display does not appear. You have to connect it with an analog RCA cable.

true that
Just having the same problem with the same Pioneer. Worked fine with a cheapo 45 Westinghouse. On my brand new LG OLED, my Apple TV is coming through, but my Tivo Bolt is not with the same scenario where it seems to recognize something is connected but is giving no signal.

Did you solve this?
post #20 of 21 Unread 12-28-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchinsky View Post

Did you solve this?
Well, it's a post from over 4.5 years ago -- he may well have neither the receiver nor the television any longer!

I suggest you start a thread of your own.
post #21 of 21 Unread 12-29-2016, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the only mention on the web of this weird behavior and that Pioneer AV unit seems to be here with no conclusion.

In the end I gave up. I moved the pioneer to a different TV and move the Sony AV Receiver to here and all looks great.

I'm guessing, like someone said earlier, its some kind of HDCP bug.

As a computer consultant, I"ve always said 75% of my client problems relate to security & copy protection. If we lived in utopia and didn't have to deal with either of those, 75% of IT and tech problems go away.

HDCP is a joke. There are a million better ways to 'pirate' content then try and capture an HDMI stream in real time. HDCP causes nothing but headaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors