Suggestions on how to Make a Music Library - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for about 10 years. I just bought a Denon 2112ci and would like to know what the best idea would be to store and play music. Currently I own a 200 disc Pioneer changer which works great however I would like to remove it from the system as it is quite large! What I would like to do is convert all the music (CD's) to digital and play them through the Denon if that is possible.

I just figured out that I can put music on a thumbdrive and put it in the front USB port, which is great but there really isn't a shuffle/random mode that I can see... in otherword's it appears pretty manual. I see that there are apps built in the unit but I haven't got it hooked up to the internet yet, so I'm not sure if there is something there that can play my music.

As you can see, I'm really out of the loop as to what is capable these days and just need an update! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Did I ask this in the wrong section? There are so many that it is confusing.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You might be better off (from a simplicity standpoint) using something like Apple TV (is there still a $99 version?) to stream music off a computer. I say that because it's simple to use (I think, I don't own one.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Given the network capabilities of this receiver:
1. Connect it to your home network if possible, ideally via ethernet.
2. Decide how you want to store your audio, i-device (iPod etc) is the easiest route.
3. Rip CDs in Apple lossless format to iTunes and load onto iPod (200 albums may just fit on a 64GB)
4. AirPlay from the iPod or iTunes to the reciever.
5. For larger music collections, a small "server" PC, a Logitech Squeezebox connected to the reciever, optionally controlled by an i-Device or Android device
post #5 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post

Given the network capabilities of this receiver:
1. Connect it to your home network if possible, ideally via ethernet.
2. Decide how you want to store your audio, i-device (iPod etc) is the easiest route.
3. Rip CDs in Apple lossless format to iTunes and load onto iPod (200 albums may just fit on a 64GB)
4. AirPlay from the iPod or iTunes to the reciever.
5. For larger music collections, a small "server" PC, a Logitech Squeezebox connected to the reciever, optionally controlled by an i-Device or Android device

I would think that he might want to consider an iPod classic. A 160GB version goes for $250.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 11
If so, how much. Do you want to run through a computer? Do you want to add a standalone device?

Do you have networking going to your system? All these go into giving you a good answer.

How simple do you want it?
post #7 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, ideally I would like it as simple as possible. I have a computer with a 2 TB array in another room and would have no problem holding all the music there and then networking it to the receiver. I just don't know how to do it. I don't own an ipod or anything "i" for that matter. What I would like, but I'm not sure if it's possible is to have a program like win-amp or Windows Media show up on the TV and have categories and shuffling/random play available. I have a wife that can't even control a remote even though I have programmed it so that a hamster would be successful... so obviously I would need easy!

Thanks for the replies guys!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Please, at least go look up what an Apple TV can do for you. I don't own one, but it does what you want...it will stream music off a PC with a decent interface (visual.)

There are other options of course.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #9 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Avoid Apple.
FLAC lossless- google it.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Avoid Apple.

OK, googled it. Looks like a codec... how does this apply to me?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Avoid Apple.

If you google Apple Lossless vs flac you will find lots of reasons for going with Apple.

The vast majority of people prefer iPods and iTunes.

If you look at the competition that is left in these product categories they compete only on price.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/...fit-an-iphone/

Or selling music for way below cost, like the new Coldplay for 25 cents

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsch...dplay-3.99.csp

Bashing Apple because you insist on using other products that the vast majority of people don't want does not help the OP.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The absolute easiest way that I know of to include your wife being able to use it is to get a Sonos Connect and a used iPod touch (3rd generation or later). You could rip your music in FLAC/Apple lossless/MP3 or whatever you like. The TV would not be required as your visual control interface would be the iPod touch. In this instance you could also use Network Attached Storage (NAS) and not have to have a computer or iTunes running at all.

The previously mentioned Apple TV would also work pretty well, but it requires the TV be on and iTunes running somewhere. It also limits you to Apple codecs plus MP3.

The iPod/Airplay solution would also work though from my own experience and reading lots of tech forums it's not quite as reliable as the 1st two solutions I mentioned.

I own all three of the above solutions and the Sonos is by far the easiest to use, but they would all work.

As to cost, the Sonos is also the most expensive (about $400-$450) followed by Apple TV ($99) and lastly iPod/Airplay ($50-75).

Hope that helps.

Jgiddyup
post #13 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostsup View Post

Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for about 10 years. I just bought a Denon 2112ci and would like to know what the best idea would be to store and play music. Currently I own a 200 disc Pioneer changer which works great however I would like to remove it from the system as it is quite large! What I would like to do is convert all the music (CD's) to digital and play them through the Denon if that is possible.

I just figured out that I can put music on a thumbdrive and put it in the front USB port, which is great but there really isn't a shuffle/random mode that I can see... in otherword's it appears pretty manual. I see that there are apps built in the unit but I haven't got it hooked up to the internet yet, so I'm not sure if there is something there that can play my music.

As you can see, I'm really out of the loop as to what is capable these days and just need an update! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Since you are just getting in to the digital music space, I recommend doing it right the first time.

Step 1. Encode all your music to FLAC with dbPoweramp (buy the software, it's the best for this, and has slot of other functionality, like batch encoding to another codec should you need to (like putting VBR mp3 on a mobile device). Store on a pc, or consider an NAS, maybe add that later since you have 2tb free already, but your pc will need to be on whenevr you want to listen to music.
Step 2. Buy a SONOS Connect. Much more geared toward music than an apple tv. It has multiple always on outputs, and expandability in to other rooms/outdoors. You can control from a pc, Mac, iOs device, or android, or their own controller. I love the iPad for this, and you can find the older ones pretty inexpensive now, or a simple $70 android tablet will work!
Step 3. Add the folder(s) where all your music is stored to Sonos library, plug in optical out/coax out in to your receiver, and enjoy. Sonos software does all the organization.

Will post links in a bit.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1074710

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

If you need a cheap controller; look at the Kindle fire, or something similar running android.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Wow guys, I really appreciate the input here! I also appreciate the detail. So it appears that I would be into this for quite a bit of money. The Sonos look like they start at around $350... a little more than what I had anticipated! The important thing here is that you guys explained how all this works! I had no clue! The NAS seems like a cool way to go. If I was to simply rip the music and add it to the NAS, is there some kind of software that can be played directly from that and made visible on the TV screen? I really don't have to have all the bells and whistles as far as a touch screen remote (Kindle, iPad), or do I?

I usually google all this stuff, but since I don't understand the basics it gets difficult, so I really appreciate your patience here.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostsup View Post

Wow guys, I really appreciate the input here! I also appreciate the detail. So it appears that I would be into this for quite a bit of money. The Sonos look like they start at around $350... a little more than what I had anticipated! The important thing here is that you guys explained how all this works! I had no clue! The NAS seems like a cool way to go. If I was to simply rip the music and add it to the NAS, is there some kind of software that can be played directly from that and made visible on the TV screen? I really don't have to have all the bells and whistles as far as a touch screen remote (Kindle, iPad), or do I?

I usually google all this stuff, but since I don't understand the basics it gets difficult, so I really appreciate your patience here.

If you go with a NAS Sonos is your best bet. The Apple solutions will require you to have iTunes running on a computer or you could use an iPod and stream directly to your receiver via airplay, but then you're limited to the music you would have on the iPod. You can still use the ipod/airplay solution via a NAS, but again iTunes has to be running on a computer somewhere if you don't want to limit yourself to the music that's on the iPod.

You can also use the network capability of your receiver directly from a NAS based on what I just read about it. It appears the receiver requires a media server and some NAS boxes have a light version of tversity/itunes and others built in, so it looks like if you get the right NAS it's doable without having a computer on. But if you go this route I can almost guarantee you'll hate using it as the interface sucks. Alternatively you can skip the NAS and just use a media server itunes/windows media player and lots of others on your computer. Again I think you'll hate using it this way, but it wouldn't cost you anything except possibly getting a network cable from your router to the receiver.

The advantage of the Sonos is no computer needs to be on if you have a NAS or even a USB drive connected to some routers would work. You'll also be able to control the music from anywhere in the house and no TV needs to be on.

Anywhere in the house control would also be available from the iPod/airplay solution.

Jgiddyup
post #16 of 16 Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 11
One other thing you may look at is XBMC. It's free and may provide what you want. Just google it and try it on your computer. It may take a little time playing around with it, but there are some decent how-to posts out there.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page