Least expensive receiver with sub EQ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All,

I currently have a Denon 2809ci and am looking for another receiver in my game room. The denon will be moved downstairs ...

The game room has serious bass issues, and hence i need a receiver that can EQ the sub along with the rest of the audio spectrum. I know that audyssey XT32 does this, but the receivers that have this feature tend to be fairly expensive. What is the least expensive receiver out there that lets you EQ the sub? I am not stuck on Audyssey ... it can be YPAO or ARC or anything else.

I had the sherwood R972 and though it sounded awesome, i'm returning it because of HDMI issues. So as of now, i'm not considering Sherwood.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anything with a reasonable favour of Auydyssey will EQ the sub. No Pioneer will.

The Marantz nr1402 has Audyssey MultEQ and can be had for $299 refurbed.

MultEQ has the same sub resolution as MultEQXT.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Look into the Sherwood R-972 with Trinnov, currently on closeout.

Trinnov is considerably more sophisticated than Audyssey, in my experience. It provides a noticeably better EQ.

Good luck.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Any Denon AVR with Audyssey will EQ the sub unlike the lower level Onkyos that use Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub nor the lower level Pioneers or Yamahas. The current lowest level Denon with Audyssey is the 1612 which uses MultEQ (as noted has the same number of sub filters as does the MultEQ XT in your 2809CI). Review post #2 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the various models. The current successor to your 2809CI is the 3312CI. You may also want to look at previous year refurbs at Accessories4Less (eg. 1611 or 1911).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!
I had the R972, and had HDMi issues. So i'm a little wary of buying it again.

As for aydyssey, i went to their site and see that only a select few expensive receivers have their sub EQ feature. I thought multiEQ XT does not apply to subwoofers as when i review the audyssey settings on my receiver, i don't see a eq for subwoofer. I can see it for the 7 channels though. So i thought i need to step up from XT to XT32 or its equivalent.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 AM

Liked: 10
Check out the chart at the bottom of their page: http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Any flavor of MultiEQ can EQ the subwoofer, while 2EQ cannot. The advantage of XT32 is that it has more filter "control points" for the subwoofer, allowing for more fine-grained corrections.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post

Thanks for the responses!
I had the R972, and had HDMi issues. So i'm a little wary of buying it again.

As for aydyssey, i went to their site and see that only a select few expensive receivers have their sub EQ feature. I thought multiEQ XT does not apply to subwoofers as when i review the audyssey settings on my receiver, i don't see a eq for subwoofer. I can see it for the 7 channels though. So i thought i need to step up from XT to XT32 or its equivalent.

You're confusing the stand alone Sub EQ device (~$700) with the ability of MultEQ in AVRs to EQ the sub. As I already noted, all versions of Audyssey, except the most basic 2EQ, can EQ the sub. The highest version, XT32, also performs the same as the stand alone sub EQ device.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yamaha 2010 or 3010 can only EQ a sub if you were specific to yamaha.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Denon AVr-1712 w/Audyssey Multeq XT.

Probably find for $299.99
post #10 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be using 2 subwoofers (Lil Mike's 25Hz Anarchy Tapped Horns), and wanted to make sure that the are eq'ed correctly. Thanks for all the responses ... I didn't know that my denon 2809ci w/ multiEQ XT was actually eq'ing the sub. It doesn't sound that great though ... there is a huge suckout at about 50hz, and i can hear this with or without the audyssey.

Well, does anyone have a used denon 3311/991/2112? Or maybe a used marantz sr7005?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I'll be using 2 subwoofers (Lil Mike's 25Hz Anarchy Tapped Horns), and wanted to make sure that the are eq'ed correctly. Thanks for all the responses ... I didn't know that my denon 2809ci w/ multiEQ XT was actually eq'ing the sub. It doesn't sound that great though ... there is a huge suckout at about 50hz, and i can hear this with or without the audyssey.

Well, does anyone have a used denon 3311/991/2112? Or maybe a used marantz sr7005?

I went from a Marantz 5006 (which has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, same as the AVRs you are looking at) and while it is a definite improvement over no Room EQ, it is not as good as Trinnov, even without the spatial mapping. At least in my setting.

So if that's what you are expecting, you may not be able to get it from XT. Maybe XT32 would be better, but I have not used it.

BTW, the R-972 HDMI issues have largely been remedied by the latest firmware, as I understand. I had to return one unit, but the second one I got seems to be better.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed ... like i mentioned elsewhere in this thread and on the R972 thread, the audio is probably the best i've heard from a receiver. I tested it with my selah SSR speakers, and it was head and shoulders better than the denon 2809ci. I bought the receiver recently from A4L, but got really tired of the frequent video dropouts, and the audio lock-in delay. A pity that i'll be returning this.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm no tech expert on room correction, but arent all of them better at smoothing out peaks than at boosting dips? I vaguely remember reading something like this, supposedly just an inherent limitation of the process.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

I'm no tech expert on room correction, but arent all of them better at smoothing out peaks than at boosting dips? I vaguely remember reading something like this, supposedly just an inherent limitation of the process.

Well ... i'm thinking can't they reduce the levels to match the dip? And i can just increase the sub gain.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want a receiver that also fills in dips, check out the Anthem MRX range. I had one and ARC works much better than Audyssey for my speakers and sub.

Otherwise you may be better off using a manual EQ device like those from Behringer.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

Its not an inherent limitation of the process, its an inherent problem of physics. A large/deep null cannot be corrected to any significant degree with EQ. To correct pick any one, or all, of three options:

1) add more strategically placed subs

2) add bass traps/room treatments

3) move sub(s) to move null or move listening positions out of null

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page