Onkyo TX-NR5008 Just Burned up...need a recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just filed my SquareTrade claim on my Onyko 5800 that suddenly tonight decided to overheat and burn up. The smell was pretty awful and I have no idea if they will make me send it in and get fixed or pay me off. The case was so hot that we couldn't touch it.

As crappy as this is, I also have a major movie night party scheduled for 20 friends for next Saturday and I need a replacement for this receiver by Friday to be ready in time. I hope I get money and if I do, what would people recommend given a $1,700 to $2,300 budget. I'm a little worried about Onkyo but the video processing was great, surround sound great but I'm a year out of date on researching receivers and need something quick. The clicking sound kinda bothered me, but I lived with it because it was a good receiver--until now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and expertise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can be sure by next week your unit won't be fixed and you won't have a check, get real man... The denon 4311 with emo or crown amps should be a good repacement.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I know it won't be fixed and realized after I posed that I'm worse off than I thought. I bought the unit new off ebay and bought a squaretrade warranty on it and the dealer is not one of the one's listed as Onyko authorized internet dealer--so I'm very sick about the whole thing. And I have another year on the Onyko warranty so squaretrade won't cover it yet.

Thanks for the recommendation....If I can't afford the Denon, what else is out there that can handle a 9.1 system?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 PM

If 9.1 is important and if u cannot live without Audyssey then it's hard to get something in the price range . Ofcourse unless u want to get another Onkyo . You can get good deals on Denon 4311ci if u shop around .

Pioneer sc-55/57 does 9.1 with macc for less than 2k

Good luck
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help all....I followed the suggestion to look at the Denon 4311ci and I ordered one....clearly not at a great price at Best Buy but with the sudden unexpected cost, it was my best and quickest option. I know we can not price talk in public on the site, but it is permitted to have people send me link or give store names in a PM? If so, I'd love better places to shop because if I don't like the Denon, then at least I'll have options over the next 30 days to review/travel and hear other choices.

The Denon looks pretty darn good though, so unless there is a upgrade coming soon to it, I'll probably just stick with it. Is there any news on a 4312 or 13ci?

Thanks again....your recommendation fits the bill.

So bummed about the Onyko--wow a lot of money. Can people suggest a reasonable but good repair facility for it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page