Hi. New to the forum and I do not have much technical knowledge.
My 9 year old Mitsubishi Projection TV (WS-55511) just died. I will be purchasing a Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (TC-P60S30). The Panasonic has 3 HDMI Inputs/1 Component Video Input/1 Composite Video Input/and Digital Audio Output - Optical.
I want to find out if I will be able to run my old Denon AV Receiver with no HDMI ports (AVR-1803, a 5.1 Speaker System) and other old audio and video equipment along with the Cox Cable Box. Or, should I purchase a new 5.1 AV Receiver that has HDMI ports. If the consensus is a for a new receiver, would like recomendations on something less than $500...$300 would be even better.
Currently connected to the AV Receiver:
1) Old Turntable with RCA jacks.
2) JVC CD Player (XL-FZ258) with RCA jacks currently connected, but does have an Optical Output not being used.
3) Sony VCR (SLV-N71) that has old Line In - R/L/Video and Live Out - R/L/Video Connections.
4) Mitsubishi DVD (DD-8030) with Y/Pb/Pr
and Optical Output connected. No HDMI.
5) Cox Cable Box Motorola DCX-3400M that has a HDMI port that is currently not in use.
6) Speakers are KEF (HTS2001). Five small egg shaped speakers that list an Amplifier requirement of 10-100W Imped 8 Ohms and a small Sub Woofer KEF (PSW 2000).
The old TV has (had) the following currently connected:
and Audio Left/Right Inputs to Cable box Video and Audio Outs. I assume that an HDMI cable will replace this connection.
2) Component Y/Pb/Pr
Input to DVD Player.
3) One Video Input wire (RCA?) to Monitor Out on AV Receiver.
4) Audio Left/Audio Right (RCA?) cables to CDR/Tape In on AV Receiver.
5) Ant. A - One Coax. cable from the wall that has a two way splitter (the other split goes to the Cable Box). This was used for PIP function on the TV, I assume.
6) Ant. DTV - Coax cable to the Antenna in the attic. Rarely used.
Another question that I have is that there seems to be different qualities of HDMI cables. The Sunday paper had an advertisement for 3 different cables. a) Monster High speed HDMI recommended for 3D displays (New TV is 3D, but I probably not use this feature). b) Monster High Speed HD 1080p HDMI cable for 1080p HDTVs. And c) Monster Standard HD HDMI Cable. What type of HDMI cable(s) will I need?
Thanks in advance for your help!