Help with Non HDMI Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. New to the forum and I do not have much technical knowledge.

My 9 year old Mitsubishi Projection TV (WS-55511) just died. I will be purchasing a Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (TC-P60S30). The Panasonic has 3 HDMI Inputs/1 Component Video Input/1 Composite Video Input/and Digital Audio Output - Optical.

I want to find out if I will be able to run my old Denon AV Receiver with no HDMI ports (AVR-1803, a 5.1 Speaker System) and other old audio and video equipment along with the Cox Cable Box. Or, should I purchase a new 5.1 AV Receiver that has HDMI ports. If the consensus is a for a new receiver, would like recomendations on something less than $500...$300 would be even better.

Currently connected to the AV Receiver:
1) Old Turntable with RCA jacks.
2) JVC CD Player (XL-FZ258) with RCA jacks currently connected, but does have an Optical Output not being used.
3) Sony VCR (SLV-N71) that has old Line In - R/L/Video and Live Out - R/L/Video Connections.
4) Mitsubishi DVD (DD-8030) with Y/Pb/Pr and Optical Output connected. No HDMI.
5) Cox Cable Box Motorola DCX-3400M that has a HDMI port that is currently not in use.
6) Speakers are KEF (HTS2001). Five small egg shaped speakers that list an Amplifier requirement of 10-100W Imped 8 Ohms and a small Sub Woofer KEF (PSW 2000).

The old TV has (had) the following currently connected:
1) Y/Pb/Pr and Audio Left/Right Inputs to Cable box Video and Audio Outs. I assume that an HDMI cable will replace this connection.
2) Component Y/Pb/Pr Input to DVD Player.
3) One Video Input wire (RCA?) to Monitor Out on AV Receiver.
4) Audio Left/Audio Right (RCA?) cables to CDR/Tape In on AV Receiver.
5) Ant. A - One Coax. cable from the wall that has a two way splitter (the other split goes to the Cable Box). This was used for PIP function on the TV, I assume.
6) Ant. DTV - Coax cable to the Antenna in the attic. Rarely used.

Another question that I have is that there seems to be different qualities of HDMI cables. The Sunday paper had an advertisement for 3 different cables. a) Monster High speed HDMI recommended for 3D displays (New TV is 3D, but I probably not use this feature). b) Monster High Speed HD 1080p HDMI cable for 1080p HDTVs. And c) Monster Standard HD HDMI Cable. What type of HDMI cable(s) will I need?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm going to assume a few things:

1. That all of your current machines and gadgets are hooked up to the Denon and that it all works.

2. That all of your current speakers are hooked up to the Denon and that it all works.

3. That this Denon can decode both Dolby Digital and DTS.

The cable box is the exception - it doesn't have to connect to the TV; it can connect to the second YPbPr input on the Denon, and pick an analog or digital input depending on what the box supports and what's used on the back of the Denon.

So, hook all that up, and then just hook up the YPbPr into the new Panasonic (if the Denon doesn't convert video, connect the composite jack so the VCR can send a signal too). Nothing else needs to be done.

As far as the cables thing - go on Amazon or MonoPrice and pick up whatever ~$5-$10 HDMI cable that suits your length requirements; don't spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on something with a >95% mark-up. This assumes you need HDMI, which I don't think you do.

If/when you decide to add a Blu-ray player, you can either put it in place of the DVD player (and probably not see higher than 480p out of it), or you can connect it via HDMI to the TV and run a S/PDIF line into the receiver for surround sound. You'll then just have to switch between the AVR's video and the Blu-ray player's video (on the TV) depending on what you want to do at the time.

Oh, and if the Mitsubishi TV was only a 4:3/480i, go in on the DVD player and set it up for 16:9 and 480p (and set the cable box up for that as well).
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes to all three. I had to look at the AVR and it does have Dolby Digital EX Pro Logic II and DTS Extended Surround.
So, no HDMI cable is needed from the Cable Box to the TV. Am I losing a lot of quality by using YPbPr as opposed to HDMI cables?
Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue23 View Post

Yes to all three. I had to look at the AVR and it does have Dolby Digital EX Pro Logic II and DTS Extended Surround.
So, no HDMI cable is needed from the Cable Box to the TV. Am I losing a lot of quality by using YPbPr as opposed to HDMI cables?
Thanks!

The short answer would be no the the loss of video quality. The advantage of HDMI is the ability to pass audio and video through a single cable. If you ever upgrade your receiver, you'll be able to eliminate the extra analog cables passing audio, and just send a single HDMI cable to your television. I was in the same situation you were in a few years ago. I was running out of inputs on my receiver. Your Denon is probably 10 to 13 years old, and I would suggest upgrading to a new receiver with enough inputs for your current and future needs. I had 2 Panasonic SA-HE200 receivers - one in the living room and one in my office. I sold the unit in the living room a few years ago and upgraded to an Onkyo TX-SR806. Your best bet for a receiver in your price range would either be:

Onkyo
Yamaha
Pioneer
Check this link for new receivers:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...name=Receivers

Or go here for factory authorized refurbished items:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Don't believe the hype about expensive HDMI cables, but don't cheap out either. I've had very good luck with monoprice, but I found that my gefen hdmi cables switch sources faster when used as the output cable from my Onkyo to the tv.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-are-the-same/

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/
3D HDTV and HDMI Explained

I think the only time you would need to spend for an HDMI cable is if you were running it in wall and you needed plenum rated cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_cable
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue23 View Post

Thanks!

Until you get a Blu-ray player, no you are not losing anything. The Denon may not pass 1080i via component, so that might warrant a separate connection for the cable box; I'm not sure there (do you even get HD cable service, and do you even use it, are other questions to consider).

With Blu-ray (and HD-DVD, technically) HDMI brings HDCP, which means you can get full resolution. It will also carry the lossless HD codecs, which nothing else will (S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwidth).

I don't see any reason to replace your receiver with the equipment you have; it's fully compatible with everything you own, and will support all of those devices to their limits (DD-EX/DTS-ES is the "best" audio codec available for DVD). It also has a phono preamp, which will be harder to find on modern components. I'd say leave well enough alone for now; if/when you decide to go Blu-ray, plan on a new receiver then.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I do have Cox HD Cable service and I use it almost all the time.

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page