Dual zone volume control??? Is it possible and how? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been trying to map out my home A/V setup and keep coming back to one issue I can't seem to solve. I would like to have the ability to control a zone's volume both from the receiver and from a physical wall mounted volume control. Kind of like having 2 3 way switches on each end of a hallway so you can control the hallway light from both ends. From my understanding I have to choose one or the other. In other words I can't have control over the zone volume with the remote/app/browser on the Yamaha RX-A2010 as well as a physical wall mounted volume control. Is there anyway to accomplish this that you know of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure how to support a wall-mounted volume control, but another option you might consider is a receiver that has a iPod/smartphone app that allows you to control volume. I don't know if this would be an option for you and I'm not familiar with Yamaha's app(s), but thought I'd throw it out there in case you hadn't considered it.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post

I'm not sure how to support a wall-mounted volume control, but another option you might consider is a receiver that has a iPod/smartphone app that allows you to control volume. I don't know if this would be an option for you and I'm not familiar with Yamaha's app(s), but thought I'd throw it out there in case you hadn't considered it.

Yeah I believe the Yamaha app does support this but the intention was I wouldn't have to have my phone or the tablet I intend to use to control my home A/V on me in order to adjust the volume only. The best example would be if I was having a party and had the same audio playing across the garage, living room and patio and someone on the patio wanted to adjust the patio volume they could do so without finding me.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by negreac View Post

Yeah I believe the Yamaha app does support this but the intention was I wouldn't have to have my phone or the tablet I intend to use to control my home A/V on me in order to adjust the volume only. The best example would be if I was having a party and had the same audio playing across the garage, living room and patio and someone on the patio wanted to adjust the volume they could do so without finding me.

Beyond the example above the bigger use I could see for it is if I am working on something in the garage and don't want to have my phone, tablet, or other breakable item on me. I could just adjust the volume via the wall mounted volume control.

Even if there is no way for a wall mounted volume control to act as a completely remote volume control for the receiver would it still be possible to control the zone volume on the receiver and then adjust it lower with the wall mounted volume control. For example I would turn up the volume on the receiver to the maximum level I would want the zone to play at then adjust it to suit at the switch? The volume in the zone would then be a function of the position of both volume controls and I could in a sense adjust either one to achieve a different volume level.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Even if there is no way for a wall mounted volume control to act as a completely remote volume control for the receiver would it still be possible to control the zone volume on the receiver and then adjust it lower with the wall mounted volume control. For example I would turn up the volume on the receiver to the maximum level I would want the zone to play at then adjust it to suit at the switch? The volume in the zone would then be a function of the position of both volume controls and I could in a sense adjust either one to achieve a different volume level.

If you're just looking for something that can attenuate the volume of a pair of speakers in the system, then I would think something like this would fit the bill. If it doesn't need to be weather-tight, they also have interior rotary or slide controls for about half the price.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I thought when you put in line volume controls like that in you actually set the receiver to a output a specific volume so you lose the volume control of those channels at the receiver. Is this true or am I completely mistaken?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

I thought when you put in line volume controls like that in you actually set the receiver to a output a specific volume so you lose the volume control of those channels at the receiver. Is this true or am I completely mistaken?

A speaker volume control is an attenuator. So it can reduce the level from the receiver, but not add.

If you need fully indpendent volume controls for two zones, you really need a zone setup.

A speaker volume control seems like it could be helpful though to have easy and simple control over volume - you just need sufficient output to it for you maximal needs.

I like web control. On my receiver, if I did have a zone connected, I could control it from my iPad or laptop very easily, as it has web control. I usually only use it if listening to it in my computer room, but I don't have speakers there.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

A speaker volume control is an attenuator. So it can reduce the level from the receiver, but not add.

This is correct. It appears that the controls I linked above are simply wired in-line with your speaker wire (i.e. speaker wire from source to volume control, then speaker wire from volume control to speaker). That said, I have no experience with this type of unit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page