niles ssvc-4, yamha, main and remote zones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a Niles SSV C - 4 and a Yamaha RX1700 receiver amplifier. I must have been very naïve when I bought the pair as I thought I could drive speakers in multiple rooms with this set up.

I have speaker pairs in four rooms. They are either in the ceiling or int he wall and all of them are 8 ohms.

These four rooms are hooked up to the Niles device.

I also have a pair of speakers in the main listening room.

Following the Yamaha set up instructions. I learned that only the A speakers
could be used for multiple room hookups .

This means that only the front speaker outputs can be it connected to the Niles
unit and that leaves me without speakers in the main room.

According to Niles their device presents a 4 ohm load to the amplifier

Question, if I connect and8 ohm speaker in in series with the Niles device would the. 12 ohm load be satisfactory with this amplifier
According to the documentation. The Yamaha amplifier has an 8/4/2 ohm performance rating..

Another option I am faced with is the two additional zones/amplifiers which the Yamaha has. However, these are rated for 8 ohm only.

Theoretically, I could drive my speakers in the main room through one of its own amplifiers, but I'm pretty sure I would lose all my sound field options and capabilities.
I will appreciate any and all feedback, suggestions or criticisms.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
high there, I too have a niles ssvc -4
My set up is as follows:
pioneer sc 1222k receiver hooked up via pre-out to a sony STR-de898 receiver
speakers/ front polk 75t,center polk 25b, surr polk fxi 6, surr back polk fxi3 , front height bose aqustamas dual cubes,sub1 bic-pl200,sub2-unknown name
via sony multi ch in speakers A.. polk 45b, surr theater research towers ,center techniques 80w, surr back polk RM8
so back to you question ,,fist off I am no expert but this is my thought the niles seem to carry the load quite evenly to all sets of speakers IF you hook up your speaker A out to the niles the various sound fieldsshould still be there to play with since the audio is output to niles --all soundfield setting should carry on to other sets of speakers
I find it fustrating that either we have to choose speaker B out and not get surr back ch to have front height/wide setting. My solution was and will be hoking up the niles to speaker B out on my sony . since its receiving audio to the multi ch in via the pre-outs on the pioneer all HDMI,optical,annalog sound is sent out . the sony can still have both sp A+B w/o sacrificing surr back.
wheter or not it helps you or I just went off on a tangent I wish you luc:)rolleyes.gif:Dk
PEACE
post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentamicinman View Post

Following the Yamaha set up instructions. I learned that only the A speakers

could be used for multiple room hookups .
This really isn't accurate... From page 113 of the Yamaha manual you may use the SP1 or SP2 speaker terminals to deliver amplified audio to zone 2, which would be your Niles unit.

Quote:

This means that only the front speaker outputs can be it connected to the Niles unit and that leaves me without speakers in the main room.
So, if you connect your Niles unit to the SP1 connection, and in the receiver setup you tell zone 2 to use the SP1 connection for amplification, then that leaves your main left/right connections for your theater speakers.
Quote:

According to Niles their device presents a 4 ohm load to the amplifier
I'm not sure where you are picking this up, but I would think that the Niles Impedance Magnification Setting, when set to 3/4 speakers more likely presents a 6ohm load, and that if you bumped it up to 5/6 speaker pairs, then it would possibly present a load higher than 8ohms. I would stick with the 3/4 setting and then test it out.
Quote:

Question, if I connect and8 ohm speaker in in series with the Niles device would the. 12 ohm load be satisfactory with this amplifier
Don't do this, this is far more difficult on your receiver and not at all what you should be doing.
Quote:

According to the documentation. The Yamaha amplifier has an 8/4/2 ohm performance rating..
According to the BACK of the Yamaha receiver only the main zone is compatible with 4 ohm speakers, and the rest are compatible down to 6 ohms. This is from page 14 of the manual.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=8077
Quote:

Another option I am faced with is the two additional zones/amplifiers which the Yamaha has. However, these are rated for 8 ohm only.
Per above, the SP1 connection is rated to 6 ohms, and this is what you should be using. The Yamaha does not have another 'amplifier' per-se, but uses the same amplifier to distribute power to other sections of the chassis.

I would suggest you hook it up as follows:
Main L/R speakers - connect to FRONT L/R connections.
NILES: Connect to SP1 connections
NILES: Set Impedance Magnification Setting to 3/4
Yamaha: Set zone 2 output to FIXED
NILES: Don't turn them up to loud, and see how well things perform!

If you find your receiver shuts down or goes into 'PROTECT' mode, then turn it off, and set the Niles Impedance Magnification Setting to 5/6 and try again. If it STILL shuts off, then you will need a dedicated external amplifier that is rated to a 4 or even a 2 ohm load. These are readily available and provide separate discrete power for your distributed audio while leaving the SURROUND receiver to run duties of surround sound in your main area. They also have 8 channel amplifier that can run all 8 of your distributed audio speakers with discrete amplification at full power... Those are really nice and do a great job with the other rooms.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors