Onkyo "Sudden Shut Down and/or Static Noise From Speaker" SR309/NRxx9/NRxxx9 & others - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The affected Onkyo Models:

TX-8255 TX-8050 HT-RC360

TX-SR309 TX-NR609 TX-NR709 TX-NR809 TX-NR1009 TX-NR5009

(HT-R390) HT-S3400

(TX-NR609) HT-S7409&HT-S8409

The affected Integra Models:

DTR-20.3, DTR-30.3 and DTR-40.3

Press Release 03/19/12:

Quote:
Sudden Shut down and or Static Noise from speaker

A limited number of ONKYO models manufactured during the months of November 2011, December 2011 and January 2012 may exhibit one of or both of the following defects:

- When powering on the unit, the unit will turn on then turn off automatically

- Static Noise emitted from speakers at low volume level

(The above mentioned defect(s) are not safety related)

Please click on the following link for more information on whether your unit will require service support: Check Serial Number

Or,

You may also contact our Product Support Team at (800) 229-1687, select option 3, to speak with one of our Product Support Representatives to confirm that your product is part of this limited production lot in need of service.

If the serial number of your product is identified as possibly being impacted by either of the above issue(s), you will be provided with the opportunity to request a prepaid return label or if necessary; box, packing and prepaid return label. Your unit will ship to the ONKYO Service Center that will be providing the service support at no cost to you. Once repairs are completed your unit will be shipped back to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks for the alert, JChin!

The serial number check gave me this:

Quote:
We found your serial number. You are eligible for this receiver update program.

This is my second Onkyo and very likely the last. The first one from a few years back started having issues soon after purchase, and now this one just over a month old apparently needs servicing. From all that I've read and experienced, quality control seems to be pretty much non-existent at Onkyo.

oz
post #3 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Thanks for the alert, JChin!

The serial number check gave me this:

Hi ozar, curious what model you have? Also what is the 8th and 9th digital of serial number?
post #4 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've returned one TX-NR1009 to where I purchased it because of the static. I didn't know there was a press release for this. Thanks, I will check the serial on the new one I got.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I got lucky with my 709. My 8th # is 1 9th # is 9

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #6 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Another generation of Onkyo, another generation of problems... Onkyos are really having problems with quality control since 2008. The x05/x06/x07 models have crappy caps which fail after a year of use, the x08 models have that IDE cable iisue and now this? I used to recommend Onkyo, not now.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #7 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

I got lucky with my 709. My 8th # is 1 9th # is 9

19 on my 5009 also and I am in the clear.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #8 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ozar, curious what model you have? Also what is the 8th and 9th digital of serial number?

For me that would be the 809, and "1Z" for serial number digits.

oz
post #9 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me that would be the 809, and "1Z" for serial number digits.

Hi ozar, those digitals of serial number falls within the dates - 2011 Dec.
post #10 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Looks like I'm clear on my TX-NR1009, the 8th and 9th digits are "16"
post #11 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi ozar, those digitals of serial number falls within the dates - 2011 Dec.

I'm not experiencing the described issue, so don't know if I should bother with sending it in, or not. Obviously, I'm not thrilled about the possibility of being without it during the service period, and the chance for damage or loss during the round trip to and from the service center concerns me. If I was having issues, it would be an easier decision.

oz
post #12 of 38 Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Anybody know if this is bleeding into the Integra Line? I have a DTR-80.3 and I will poop a brick if I gotta lug that out of the cabinet. I haven't seen any news on the Integra website.

Josh D.
post #13 of 38 Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, my new model 809 is one of the affected units so I've decided to go ahead and send it in even though it is not currently having the issues described. I'm just hoping that Onkyo covers any damages or loss of the product during shipping to and from their service center. In addition, it would be nice if they'd put a check for about $100 made out to me in the box when it's returned due to the inconvenience caused by their lack of quality control. My best guess is that the only part of any of the above that will happen is that I'll send the unit in for servicing.

This is my second Onkyo, and there have ended up being problems with both of them within a couple of months of purchase, so this is very likely to be my last.

oz
post #14 of 38 Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Unfortunately, my new model 809 is one of the affected units so I've decided to go ahead and send it in even though it is not currently having the issues described. I'm just hoping that Onkyo covers any damages or loss of the product during shipping to and from their service center. In addition, it would be nice if they'd put a check for about $100 made out to me in the box when it's returned due to the inconvenience caused by their lack of quality control. My best guess is that the only part of any of the above that will happen is that I'll send the unit in for servicing.

This is my second Onkyo, and there have ended up being problems with both of them within a couple of months of purchase, so this is very likely to be my last.

Yea, I hear you. I would feel the same way. This is my first Onkyo, and I bought it even though I knew there were possible HDMI and overheating issues being reported. So far mine is fine, but if I were to buy again today, I would be buying a Yamaha.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #15 of 38 Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Yea, I hear you. I would feel the same way. This is my first Onkyo, and I bought it even though I knew there were possible HDMI and overheating issues being reported. So far mine is fine, but if I were to buy again today, I would be buying a Yamaha.

I might also consider a Yamaha receiver the next time and I do currently have a Denon unit that I've been very happy with, so that's another option. Hopefully Onkyo realizes that consumer confidence can be lost much faster than it is gained, and they'll overcome these quality control issues.

oz
post #16 of 38 Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, my new model 809 is one of the affected units so I've decided to go ahead and send it in even though it is not currently having the issues described.

If it was me with a 2 yr warranty receiver, I would wait unit it happens before sending it.

Ozar, hope everything goes well for you and please post back with any info of what they replace and how long it took to return.
post #17 of 38 Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If it was me with a 2 yr warranty receiver, I would wait unit it happens before sending it.

Yeah, I may end up waiting, even though I have already requested the shipping box and pre-paid shipping label. The entire event has left me in an uncomfortable situation even though I did read lots of reports of quality control issues with Onkyo before purchasing one of their units.

I'm now wondering if the service center goes ahead and implements all known upgrades/fixes to bring a receiver fully up to date while they have it in hand, or do they only apply the fix indicated in the recall notice?

It would be nice to know that my almost new receiver will be returned free of any and all known defects or issues. This of course is assuming that they do return the exact receiver that was sent in.

oz
post #18 of 38 Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I'm now wondering if the service center goes ahead and implements all known upgrades/fixes to bring a receiver fully up to date while they have it in hand, or do they only apply the fix indicated in the recall notice?

It would be nice to know that my almost new receiver will be returned free of any and all known defects or issues. This of course is assuming that they do return the exact receiver that was sent in.

I would think this all would go without saying but you never know. Call the service center and ask them, I would like to know this myself. I think I would have it serviced regardless, it would bother me too much.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post

I would think this all would go without saying but you never know. Call the service center and ask them, I would like to know this myself. I think I would have it serviced regardless, it would bother me too much.

Yeah, I might call them and see what they say about it.

In some ways, I feel that they should replace it with a brand new non-defective unit since it was now known to have issues at the time of purchase and is still only a few months old. Then they can do whatever they wish with the defective model. I'm not going to get my hopes up, though.

oz
post #20 of 38 Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I might call them and see what they say about it.

In some ways, I feel that they should replace it with a brand new non-defective unit since it was now known to have issues at the time of purchase and is still only a few months old. Then they can do whatever they wish with the defective model. I'm not going to get my hopes up, though.

I agree, and what are you suppose to do for a receiver when they are servicing yours? They are inconveniencing you by you being without and you paid for a new reciever. But I'm sure you will get nowhere with that. I would call where you purchased your receiver and see what they have to say. I think I read where someone bought from Amazon and it was close to a year old and they allowed them to return it. Doesn't hurt to ask.
post #21 of 38 Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post

I think I read where someone bought from Amazon and it was close to a year old and they allowed them to return it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Yeah, I've emailed One Call (purchased through their store front on Amazon) to see if they will allow me to upgrade this receiver to another brand through them rather than having to deal with Onkyo for an undetermined amount of time. The receiver was received with the supposedly defective parts in place, so hopefully they will be willing to work with me on this, especially since the recall came out right after I received the defective unit.

If they will do it, I'm exchanging it for a Yamaha, or Denon unit. If they won't work with me, I'll be sure to buy from a different vendor on all future AV purchases.

oz
post #22 of 38 Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 12
This seals the deal for me. Was waiting for crutchfield to get the 609 back in but I've always been leary of Onkyo. Way back in '98 I had a defective receiver where the bass management would not send all of the bass to the main speakers. I didn't have a subwoofer but did have awesome towers that went down to a true 40Hz with a 10" woofer. So it went back I bought a Yamaha RX-V793.

I think I look into the Pioneer VSX-1121 or a Elite VSX-52 (same receiver basically) as none of the other so called Home theater receivers have enough analog inputs and digital audio input for the money. Onkyo was the best but not worth the gamble. Unfortunately Crutchfield doesn't sell Pioneer anymore and the new VSX-1122 is just as bad as others with deleted analog inputs and digital audio inputs.

I likely just stick to my current Denon AVR-3803 since the amp sections in newer receivers anymore suck with 4 ohm output and all channels driven. They also aren't fully functional AV receivers with such limited inputs. I think it's a scam to have to go buy additional a/v switchers just to make these digital video receivers work with most equipment, CD Recorders, DVD-Recorders, Turntables, Tape decks, analog out MP3 players, digital cameras and camcorders. These new receivers aren't A/V receivers anymore, just digital switching receivers that are incompatible with most true a/v sources.

Sorry Onkyo turned out to be a bad apple.
post #23 of 38 Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

OneCall has offered to allow me to return the new 809 that wound up being on Onkyo's recall list and they offered a full refund, or they said I can exchange it for an identical model (one not found on the recall list), or exchange it for another brand of receiver. I almost went for the Denon 3312, but decided to give Onkyo one more try because the 809 truly is a remarkable receiver if you can get one that doesn't have issues, and isn't on a recall list.

oz
post #24 of 38 Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Integra Press Release 03/26/12:

Quote:

We have discovered that some components used in a limited number of INTEGRA products manufactured during the months of November and December 2011, as well as January 2012, do not comply with the high quality ultimately required for use in INTEGRA products. As a result, these products may exhibit one of or both of the following phenomenon:

When powering on the unit, the unit will turn on then turn off automatically

- Static Noise emitted from speakers at low volume level

(The above mentioned symptoms are not safety related)

Affected Models:

DTR-20.3, DTR-30.3 and DTR-40.3

Please click on the following link for more information on whether or not your unit will require service support: (Place link to serial number query here)

Or,

You may also contact our Product Support Team at (800) 229-1687, select option 3, to speak with one of our Product Support Representatives to confirm whether your product is part of this limited production lot in need of service.

If either of the above issues is present you will be given further instructions and directed to an authorized INTEGRA Service Center where your component will be serviced at no cost to you.

Integra has worked tirelessly to earn its reputation for superior build quality and performance. Your complete satisfaction is and will remain as our number 1 priority.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.

***This issue will be handled for Integra customers residing in any one of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia), or any one of the Provinces in Canada; even if the symptoms arise after the component is out of warranty***

post #25 of 38 Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM

I wish i had found this topic before.

I just ordered the S3400 in amazon through an online intermediary here in mexico... and now this!!! the problem is that onkyo doesn't have any official service center here and send it back might cost me a lot I thought onkyo was a good and reliable brand but now im so disappointed. I was really excited about this HT (my first set of 5.1 speakers).

I'm curious if onkyo produced this speakers after january 2012. If not, then i'm f*cked. I just hope the serial number is printed on some sticker in the box so i can check if its good or bad.

I was thinking on get refund or something and get the S5400 but i don't trust in onkyo anymore. What would you suggest??
post #26 of 38 Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard177 View Post

I just hope the serial number is printed on some sticker in the box so i can check if its good or bad.

I was thinking on get refund or something and get the S5400 but i don't trust in onkyo anymore. What would you suggest??

Yeah, the serial number will be printed on the box so you'll be able to check it against the recall list before opening it if you wish.

One fellow on another forum said that his order from amazon came in and was on the recall list, so he returned it and exchanged it for another one, but the replacement turned out to be on the recall list as well. He's planning on talking to them tomorrow to find out what his options are.

oz
post #27 of 38 Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the serial number will be printed on the box so you'll be able to check it against the recall list before opening it if you wish.

One fellow on another forum said that his order from amazon came in and was on the recall list, so he returned it and exchanged it for another one, but the replacement turned out to be on the recall list as well. He's planning on talking to them tomorrow to find out what his options are.

Thanks for the reply and its a shame that Onkyo is having problems with the quality control of this receivers. I think i'll better get the Yamaha yht-395, no problems with that HT and forget any Onkyos.

Anyways I will keep you guys updated as soon as the receiver arrives.
post #28 of 38 Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Hello guys, my s3400 just arrived and i really need your help. I just double checked the serial number on the receiver: HT-R390_C(B) and got this:

Last two numbers are: 46

I'm starting to think that the receiver is good but i dont want to get too excited. I inspected the box and found this sticker

According to the sticker it was produced in august 2011? so in theory the receiver its good but i don't know if it's worth to take the risk.

What do you think about it? please help, i'm a little bit desperate and is such a temptation to have the box just by my side.

Thanks in advance
post #29 of 38 Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Hello guys, my s3400 just arrived and i really need your help. I just double checked the serial number on the receiver: HT-R390_C(B) and got this:

Last two numbers are: 46

I'm starting to think that the receiver is good but i dont want to get too excited. I inspected the box and found this sticker

According to the sticker it was produced in august 2011? so in theory the receiver its good but i don't know if it's worth to take the risk.

What do you think about it? please help, i'm a little bit desperate and is such a temptation to have the box just by my side.

Thanks in advance

I think I would just keep it... I like mine!
post #30 of 38 Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance

I'm not positive about this, but it sounds like you are good to go because from what I've read the bad units were all manufactured in Nov and Dec of 2011, and Jan of 2012.

oz
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page