Multi Zone, Multi Speaker per zone receiver and amp recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So in the process of building a new house, at the stage in which it is exposed wall and is time of wiring and would like whole house audio.
The rooms would include:
TV Room(5.1)
Entry Hall(2)
Dining Room(2)
Kitchen (2)
Great Room/Party Room for guests size of room 22 by 26 so i would assume four speakers. This room is played loud.
Outside(2)

After some research and talking to some people it seems as though it would be outlines like this: an 3 zone receiver in which the primary zone would be for the tv room 5.1. The second zone would be connected to an speaker switcher with independant volume control which would connect to the entry, dining and kitchen. and the third zone would connect to a multi channel amp in which would go the four speakers in the great room and then two speakers in the yard.

By doing this setup would i be able to play the same music in all the rooms? would i be able to watch tv in the tv room while playing music in the other rooms?

What amp and receiver would you guys recommend? Care mostly about sound quality but would be nice if had an app to control zones via internet/app.
what speaker switcher with volume control and impedance matching?
i have a 5k budget for the speakers minus the ones in the tv room i have already the silver monitor audio series in there . so i would assume 2-2.5k would go towards amplification/receiver/speaker switcher? and the rest would go for speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Most AVRs in your (our) price range will not have the reserve power to drive your other zones if you are using the primary 5.1 zone at the same time - at least that is based on my limited experience.

I run 3 pair of Boston Acoustics Voyager6 speakers outside off of my zone 2 via an external 2ch amp connected to an Aton DLA4 - 4 speaker switch (impedance matching) with the RF remote feature. IMHO would recommend that you look into the Aton DLA4 for your zone3 where you could run your 4 pair of (hall, kitchen, dining and outside) and control the volume and mute for each pair as you desire. I would then run the family room off your zone 2 (you may still need another amp for this as well - but you can try it without first) You will be able to control the volume at either the AVR or if you set up a IR remote transmitter in the family room, a remote will work there too.

I'm assuming there are apps to control these like iRule - but I do not know. I am currently researching that for my own environment.

I have the Onkyo TX-NR3007 which does have 2 additional zones outside of the primary zone and it works great for what I was trying to accomplish.

Another option is a multi zone amplifier - but I don't have any experience with them to describe what their control options are.

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
what i would do...

rip my music to itunes...
put an airport express everywhere you want music...
buy cheap t-amps for each location (parts express is a good spot for this)...
buy inexpensive speakers for each location (again, parts express is a good spot for this, the diy kits are good values)...
use iphone/itouch to control it all...

attempting to do this all off of one central avr is asking for headaches...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
what receiver is recommended and external amp is recomended for 2-2.5k. Also how would i connect an external multichannel amp to the second zone?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballgms View Post

what receiver is recommended and external amp is recomended for 2-2.5k. Also how would i connect an external multichannel amp to the second zone?

Go with Sonos. You will not put together a better distributed audio system in your price range.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One option (based on what I have done and only because I am familiar with Onkyo), the Onkyo TX-NR1009 has two zone outs with pre-amp capabilities. You would connect via dual (L&R or red & white) RCA cables between the AVR and AMP and connect speaker wire between the amp and speaker switch and then from your speaker switch to your speakers. Go to OnkyoUSA.com and look up the product specs for more detail. On the back panel lower right over the "Front Wide" speaker connectors you will see the pre-outs for zones 2 and 3. I use an Onkyo M-282 2 ch amp to power 3 pair of my external speakers.

The Aton DLA4 with RF remote (speaker switch) was one of the better switches I could find that had an RF remote so that I could control the volume from outside

Estimate (Amazon)
AVR $1,400
2 Amps $400 (zone 2 and zone 3)
Switch w/ remote $375
Subtotal $2,175 (does not include cables/wiring or speakers)

I know nothing about Sonus and would recommend researching that solution as well to make sure you get what works best for you. I went the more traditional route because I was simply adding onto an existing system

Dan

My set up

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page