Receiver quality poll - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Click on manufacturer if you had your receiver repaired within 5 years old.
Denon 0 0%
Onkyo 0 0%
Yamaha 0 0%
Pioneer 0 0%
Integera 0 0%
Sony 0 0%
Marantz 0 0%
Anthem 0 0%
McIntosh 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I agree with others the scope of this poll is woefully inadequate to draw any valid conclusion.

I would add the comment that how long you want to own a receiver matters.

If you want it to last a year, then reliability doesn't matter as much since you will be replacing it before it expires.

If you want it to last five years, then reliability matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The biggest problem I see with this poll is it has no way of taking into account the amount of owners of different brands. This forum has always seemed to me to be "top heavy" with Onkyo and Denon owners. That alone will account for higher numbers for those brands. I seem to remember seeing other polls of "what brand do you own" that would agree with my point.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #33 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I voted Onkyo. I had my Onkyo and under 2 years, it gave up (amp section). I didn't get it repaired, I just bought a Marantz SR 7500 and it's been doing great for the last 4 years so far, driving the same speakers.
post #34 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I voted Onkyo because I ended up having problems with two different Onkyo units within the first few months of initial purchase. However, I'm not so sure that this poll is a very good indicator regarding true quality control.

Either way, I'll probably be buying a Yamaha, or another Denon the next time around.

oz
post #35 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
To make this more accurate, there should be 2 poll questions. You need to find out how many people own what brand products, and how many of those people have/had problems. Then you can calculate a percentage. Still probably not very accurate, but it should be more accurate then this.
post #36 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Let's take for instance the run of the mill $600 receiver....

When you are buying a SSP, a 7 channel amplifier and a HDMI switcher... all for $600, if the SSP part was worth $100, the HDMI switch $50 and the each amp channel $45, you understand why most of what Onkyo and other manufacturers of cheap receivers are up against. No owner they sound bad, are finicky, and are typically slick looking garbage... and those are MSRP prices! IF I had a $600 receiver running my system, I would expect poor performance. 8 amp channels in a metal box with a SSP?? Heat is the enemy of all electronics. No wonder so many have repair issues with receivers compared with SSPS and outboard amps.

The idea of buying low cost separates (particularly on the used market), though a bit more money than your receiver, give you so much more power, performance and flexibility.

Receivers are the cheapest way to get into HT. They represent a goal of the manufacturers to get the cheapest possible parts into a box.. they are a great start but not what you want if you're after performance and reliability (unless you get into the Elite line of receivers from various manufacturers).

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page