Upgrading AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade from my Onkyo TX-NR807. I have a EMO XPA-5 and I'd like to start using it. For a long time I wanted a EMO UMC-1, but with the bugs (which now are fixed) I started thinking about a Marantz or another Onkyo AVR. I do see the EMO XMC is due out soon, but for $1500 it's way more than we all thought it would be priced at and given they went away from Audyssesy I might not want to mess with it.

I no longer require a receiver with on board power since I want to use the XPA 5 and might add in a 2 later on. Any recommendations? I would like my next piece to be better than the Onkyo I have now. It also would be nice to have 2 sub outs as well. I still consider the UMC-1 which I know the sound processing is supposed to be better than the Marantz, but I like how the Marantz generally has a better upscaling processor.

I like how Onkyo has XT32 for dual subs and I'm really digging the new 4k processors that are out.

Price range is $1000-1500

Thank you

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you don't need a receiver's amps, why buy them? Why not get a pre/pro, such as the affordable Emotiva, Sherwood Newcastle, or Outlaw units. You might also check out the great bargains on "refurb" ATI pre/pros at Audiogon sold by Classic Audio with full warranty. The ATIs are a little dated, but if you need HDMI switching you can use a Monoprice switcher. If you are willing to do without HDMI switching in your pre/pro and want just the best sound quality you can find, then consider a used Lexicon. I saw a nice looking MC-8 available for about $800 recently at Audiogon, and that is a bargain if it is in good condition.

"The truth is out there!"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page