Just brought new TV + AMP

Tv - panasonic viera tx-p42s30b 4 xhdmi
amp - sony str-dh510 3 x hdmi

rest of my gear connecting to all this is

V+ HD
Xbox 360
PS3
WDTV SMP

How do i connect all these things to the AMP with the least hassle?
Could i for example connect V+ HD / PS3 / WDTV / AMP to the 4 HDMI on the tv and have the audio passed from the tv to the AMP? then leaving me just connecting the 360 to the AMP and id have to manually change it?

sorry guys im a big newb when it comes to all this stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I think you mean receiver not amp; amp usually means power amp.

You are saying that you have only 3 HDMI inputs on the Sony? That's pretty low by today's standards.

Might be simplest to see if you can get an HDMI switch if you have more devices than inputs. Because it's simpler to run everything through receiver.

Another option is to hook everything but one device to receiver, and 4th device to TV. You would then run the audio from the TV to a spare input on the receiver. This is a more of a pain. But if one of the devices is not used very often, that might work for you.

Or you could just leave one device unconnected, and swap cables when needed. This only works if one device is rarely used, and you have easy access to the equipment.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Don't forget that the very slight lag introduced by audio and video processing in the receiver can be an issue for some games. That's one reason to connect the video outputs of gaming systems directly to the TV with each of their audio cables connected directly to the receiver.

(Most TVs do *not* forward surround sound audio from external devices to their digital audio outputs, only stereo. Most provide surround sound only from their internal over-the-air tuners. Check your TV's manual to be sure.)

If one did not come with the equipment, you should consider getting a "universal" remote control unit so you can switch both TV and receiver to the same inputs at the same time.

Otherwise, connecting everything to the receiver with just one cable from the receiver to the TV can be a substantial simplification.

Selden
post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Don't forget that the very slight lag introduced by audio and video processing in the receiver can be an issue for some games. That's one reason to connect the video outputs of gaming systems directly to the TV with each of their audio cables connected directly to the receiver.

(Most TVs do *not* forward surround sound audio from external devices to their digital audio outputs, only stereo. Most provide surround sound only from their internal over-the-air tuners. Check your TV's manual to be sure.)

If one did not come with the equipment, you should consider getting a "universal" remote control unit so you can switch both TV and receiver to the same inputs at the same time.

Otherwise, connecting everything to the receiver with just one cable from the receiver to the TV can be a substantial simplification.

I don't have all these lip sync issues in games, and I connect my game console to my receiver. If problems do crop up, I can't recall if XBox 360 or PS3 or Wii have calibration options or not (some games have a calibration feature.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by patters1978 View Post

Hi people

Struggling to figure this out hopefully someone will shed some light for me
I hope i have put this in the right section as well my problem lies with my amp

Just brought new TV + AMP

Tv - panasonic viera tx-p42s30b 4 xhdmi
amp - sony str-dh510 3 x hdmi

rest of my gear connecting to all this is

V+ HD
Xbox 360
PS3
WDTV SMP

How do i connect all these things to the AMP with the least hassle?
Could i for example connect V+ HD / PS3 / WDTV / AMP to the 4 HDMI on the tv and have the audio passed from the tv to the AMP? then leaving me just connecting the 360 to the AMP and id have to manually change it?

sorry guys im a big newb when it comes to all this stuff

The best video quality is usually hdmi directly from player to tv. The best audio quality is usually hdmi to receiver to speakers. Avoid at all cost running audio thru tv to receiver. The best compromise is audio and video thru receiver over hdmi with video sent to tv with one hdmi cable. This can be done by feeding some through this monoprice 4 in 1 out hdmi switch. Only $29 but will add a remote, complicate system and slightly degrade the signal. Very slight degradation but there for sure.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

i used these for years but now have 8 hdmi inputs. If you can't afford a better receiver consider running most hdmi to receiver and the rest to tv with digital audio to receiver. Don't use just the red/white analog audio and you are set. Again avoid audio from tv to receiver.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I don't have all these lip sync issues in games, and I connect my game console to my receiver. If problems do crop up, I can't recall if XBox 360 or PS3 or Wii have calibration options or not (some games have a calibration feature.)

Lag isn't quite the same as lip sync -- it corresponds to the total delay between when both the audio and video leave the source device and when you perceive them. If both audio and video have the same amount of delay, there won't be any lip sync problems. However, sometimes the delay caused by the amount of time needed to do the audio and video processing can be noticeable when you press a game-console button and there's a slight pause before the results are visible on-screen. That pause is called "lag". Supposedly this processing lag can be particularly noticeable with some fast-action FPS-style games. People make a point of minimizing all video processing in the display, too -- disabling features intended to "make the picture look better".

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page