Receiver Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should receive two Outlaw LFM-1 EXs next week. As a result, I am in need of a receiver and looking for recommendations.
I am not in a huge rush if waiting will get me a better deal.

I would like to spend under $2,000 and under $1,500 if possible. Network or bluetooth connectivity would be nice but is not required.
HDMI pass-through is a must.

I am not very knowledgeable on home theater, so I hope you will share some advice.

I currently have an old Sony 5.1 system all-in-one receiver, with Tuner, CD and cassette... I will initially reuse the center, front and rears but down the road, would like make additional acquisitions to end up with a 7.2 (9.2?) system. If someone wants to explain that I am stupid to be planning that, I would be glad to hear feedback either way. I am considering going Arx for those, but as it is a ways off, I have not looked too hard.

Not certain it is fully relevant for a receiver recommendation, but as the space I have is far from ideal for sound system setup, so I will describe it.
The main room is about 3700 cubic feet, but then with the kitchen that is essentially part of the same room, it is about 5100 and there is another room off of the main room through a 5' opening (no door) that is probably 800 plus the a couple of hallways that cannot be closed off of the kitchen and additional room. See attachment for house layout.

Thank you for any advice or pointing out what I left out making this impossible to answer.
LL
SethVIII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A Denon 4311 streets for <$1300 right now, has MultEq XT32 and will independently EQ 2 subs, has 9 assignable amps and 11.2 capability (with an external 2 channel amp), and all the other current bells and whistles, and pretty much all of the kinks have been worked out of it already through firmware upgrades. The amp section is stable into <4 ohm loads and it is very capable for a receiver, but if you ever need more power it has preouts and you can mix and match an external amp with the internal ones. I love mine.
jjackkrash is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
NBR
Senior Member
 
NBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You want to spend the biggest portion of your money on speakers, not receiver. I wouldn't waste more than $700 on a receiver and that is if I already have good speakers and subwoofer.

If you are going to spend $2,000 on a receiver, I hope those Sony speakers are off the chart high end Sony speakers that I never heard of because you are wasting your money. My brother use to own one of those all in one old school system like what you have except his was a Pioneer. Let me tell you, no amount of money he spent on receiver improved those speakers he had until he CHANGED those speakers. Speakers are the biggest impact to sound.

I would spend that $2000, $1500 on 3 front speakers and get a $400 receiver before I get a $2000 receiver to hook up with Sony speakers. By doing this, you'll get the biggest improvement.
NBR is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

A Denon 4311 streets for <$1300 right now, has MultEq XT32 and will independently EQ 2 subs, has 9 assignable amps and 11.2 capability (with an external 2 channel amp), and all the other current bells and whistles, and pretty much all of the kinks have been worked out of it already through firmware upgrades. The amp section is stable into <4 ohm loads and it is very capable for a receiver, but if you ever need more power it has preouts and you can mix and match an external amp with the internal ones. I love mine.

I have seen some of the deal threads on the 4311. Thank you for the recommendation, it does look like a nice receiver.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

You want to spend the biggest portion of your money on speakers, not receiver. I wouldn't waste more than $700 on a receiver and that is if I already have good speakers and subwoofer.

If you are going to spend $2,000 on a receiver, I hope those Sony speakers are off the chart high end Sony speakers that I never heard of because you are wasting your money. My brother use to own one of those all in one old school system like what you have except his was a Pioneer. Let me tell you, no amount of money he spent on receiver improved those speakers he had until he CHANGED those speakers. Speakers are the biggest impact to sound.

Thank you for the advice. I agree that these speakers are pretty bad! The receiver will definitely have to be a start, not an end. Recommendations on a $700 receiver or good speakers are also welcome.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
NBR
Senior Member
 
NBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Out of your $2,000 budget. I would spend $1,500 for your right, center, and left speakers. Use your current speakers for surrounds. $500 for a receiver. Last years model or refurbished. Lots of great deals to be had with previous models. Go to the speaker forum and look at some of the advice given within your budget.

People new to this hobby (including myself at one point but learn over time from personal experience and reading) tend to think that electronics should be their biggest budget and not the speakers but truth is, speaker is the biggest impact when it comes to sound so the most of that money should be spent on speakers. Plus, speakers will long outlast any electronics as they get updated almost every year.
NBR is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tp be clear, I don't disagree on the importance of speakers, but the 4311 is a great piece of electronics and the OP didn't say his budget was fixed or that buying it would preclude upgrading the speakers. That said, if the OP doesn't need or intend to use preouts, and doesn't need or think MultEq XT32 is an important feature, then stepping down to the 2112 isn't a bad way to go either, and it streets for around $450.
jjackkrash is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

Out of your $2,000 budget. I would spend $1,500 for your right, center, and left speakers. Use your current speakers for surrounds. $500 for a receiver. Last years model or refurbished. Lots of great deals to be had with previous models. Go to the speaker forum and look at some of the advice given within your budget.

People new to this hobby (including myself at one point but learn over time from personal experience and reading) tend to think that electronics should be their biggest budget and not the speakers but truth is, speaker is the biggest impact when it comes to sound so the most of that money should be spent on speakers. Plus, speakers will long outlast any electronics as they get updated almost every year.

The $1.5-2K is the receiver budget, speaker budget is TBD. I do not even think the Sonys would make surrounds long-term, but I guess if they are temporary for that too, they might be ok.

I hope I have a good start on the speakers with dual EXs but want a good receiver on which I can build. If those are a bad start, someone please go ahead and let me know that those should be "temporary" too.
I appreciate the feedback. Any receiver advice beyond a price target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Tp be clear, I don't disagree on the importance of speakers, but the 4311 is a great piece of electronics and the OP didn't say his budget was fixed or that buying it would preclude upgrading the speakers. That said, if the OP doesn't need or intend to use preouts, and doesn't need or think MultEq XT32 is an important feature, then stepping down to the 2112 isn't a bad way to go either, and it streets for around $450.

I would like the flexibility preouts offer for down the road possibilities.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The 4311 is hard to beat for the price and performance.
oztech is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think the Anthem MRX line is worth a look as well. Not as many channels, HDMI inputs/outputs or internet features as the Denon.
I've been very happy with mine, using as a pre/pro. Their room correction software (ARC) uses a calibrated mic and the processing power of a PC, similar to Audyssey pro (which adds $700). I think for $1000 it's worth a look. I prefer to support smaller, NA owned companies if possible.
I totally agree about the speakers too. Especially for the F/Rs, spend as much as you feel comfortable, they will last a long time, much longer than any electronics you'll buy, especially processors. I'm still using a pair of Vandersteen 2Cs I bought in 1987, the electronics I bought with it are long gone.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

I think the Anthem MRX line is worth a look as well. Not as many channels, HDMI inputs/outputs or internet features as the Denon.
I've been very happy with mine, using as a pre/pro. Their room correction software (ARC) uses a calibrated mic and the processing power of a PC, similar to Audyssey pro (which adds $700). I think for $1000 it's worth a look. I prefer to support smaller, NA owned companies if possible.
I totally agree about the speakers too. Especially for the F/Rs, spend as much as you feel comfortable, they will last a long time, much longer than any electronics you'll buy, especially processors. I'm still using a pair of Vandersteen 2Cs I bought in 1987, the electronics I bought with it are long gone.

Thank you, I will check Anthem MRX, though a quick check shows it is only .1, is that something worth focusing on? I like the supporting NA companies idea. Thanks for reinforcing that quality speakers are an investment.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethVIII View Post

Thank you, I will check Anthem MRX, though a quick check shows it is only .1, is that something worth focusing on? I like the supporting NA companies idea. Thanks for reinforcing that quality speakers are an investment.

Yes, if you plan on integrating two subs, Audyssey may be better for you. They also only have 4 HDMI inputs, 1 output.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
NBR, so you are saying that if I get $3000/pr speakerson sale for say $600, I shouldn't get an AVR that costs $1000?

OP, 4311 is a GREAT deal right now but may be an even better deal here shortly (since you are in no rush) once its replacement is released. Keep your eye on it for a deal. Buy High end, expensive speakers on close out 40-50% off prices and BAM! You have a kickass system...
Splicer010 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wouldn't hold my breath on a replacement, or a better deal on the 4311, as from what I have read on here the replacement appears to have been delayed by the earthquake in Japan and D&M's poor financial condition in general. Also, the replacement is reportedly going to be in excess of $3k if and when it comes out and the 4311 is already a smoking deal, reportedly going for very close to dealer cost right now.
jjackkrash is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 4311 sounds very good, it maybe the one though for now at least I am still open others have a suggestion that is a good value in my price range.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,410
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I have to agree with some others - you're wasting money buying a $1500 AVR to use with $50 speakers.

They are a LOT of great options for good L/R/C combo for $1500. Or even L/R and no center.

Given that your are getting 2 really nice subs you could use some bookshelf speakers across the front. Too many to list in that price range.

Then spend $300-$500 on an AVR. I like the Denon 1712 at the low end. Least expensive AVR with audessey XT. List is $400 new but I'm sure there are discounts or refurbs for less.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:


and D&M's poor financial condition

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one!!!
Splicer010 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

I have to agree with some others - you're wasting money buying a $1500 AVR to use with $50 speakers.

They are a LOT of great options for good L/R/C combo for $1500. Or even L/R and no center.

Given that your are getting 2 really nice subs you could use some bookshelf speakers across the front. Too many to list in that price range.

Then spend $300-$500 on an AVR. I like the Denon 1712 at the low end. Least expensive AVR with audessey XT. List is $400 new but I'm sure there are discounts or refurbs for less.

Thank you for the suggestion. Obviously I do not have to spend the full budgeted AVR amount on one, but even if I do not, the $50 speakers will have to stay for a little bit because of some other things going on.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one!!!

Not sure why this is funny, see post No. 5:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1368799

I don't know what the truth is, but M-Code appears to have insider knowledge.
jjackkrash is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I would second and third the recommendation to direct most resources toward speakers.

As to receivers, there is a lot in the $500-$800 range which would do a perfectly fine job for a home theater. Just find the one which best matches the features you need and worry less about raw power, unless you are planning on some exotic/weird speakers (and if so, ask yourself, why?)

Right now the best bang for the buck is probably the sub-$600 closeout of the Sherwood R-972, which is the only consumer-level, mass-market box with Trinnov Optimizer.

Trinnov in my experience is noticeably better (in a different league altogether, really) than Audyssey MultiEQ XT -- I don't have experience with XT32.

Good luck, whatever you chose.
Ryan1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethVIII View Post

Thank you for the suggestion. Obviously I do not have to spend the full budgeted AVR amount on one, but even if I do not, the $50 speakers will have to stay for a little bit because of some other things going on.

Everything suggested has a network connection. Don't buy anything without or you seriously limit ways to control the receiver and other subtle reasons. I bought the denon 4311 last year for $1450 and it will not be in any close-out sale for a long time. For $1300 it is hard to beat.

I run 11.2 with xt32 in my apartment just because I can! All my speakers are $300 internet direct and subs $1000 each id. I sleep better with a spare receiver in the closet. I just bought a Pioneer 1121 for $400. Honestly this thing does almost everything the 4311 does for 1/3 the cost. Even does ipod usb and home computer files better than the 4311. It will do 9.2 preamp out. That should be enough. The lesser eq just isn't that big a deal for $900 less.
kikkenit2 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:


For $1300 it is hard to beat.

Quote:


I just bought a Pioneer 1121 for $400. Honestly this thing does almost everything the 4311 does for 1/3 the cost.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This thread just gets better and better with each additional response!!!

No, the 1121 doesn't come close to doing what the 4311 can do, nor does it sound (the REAL REASON TO BUY?) even half as good as the 4311, nor does anyone but you make such a ridiculous claim. There is a damn good reason the 1121 costs a grand LESS than the 4311, and that singular reason is the quality isn't even close. All around, generally speaking quality which includes functions, form and quality. Please do not think that your 400.00 AVR can even compete with the 4311 as you are just showing everyone you really don't know what you would like everyone to think you know.
Splicer010 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This thread just gets better and better with each additional response!!!

No, the 1121 doesn't come close to doing what the 4311 can do, nor does it sound (the REAL REASON TO BUY?) even half as good as the 4311, nor does anyone but you make such a ridiculous claim. There is a damn good reason the 1121 costs a grand LESS than the 4311, and that singular reason is the quality isn't even close. All around, generally speaking quality which includes functions, form and quality. Please do not think that your 400.00 AVR can even compete with the 4311 as you are just showing everyone you really don't know what you would like everyone to think you know.

I have no way to compare sound quality (is that pure direct or full audyssey xt you are referring to?) between receivers. And I never mentioned anything about comparing sound quality. I was comparing the features and functions that both units have. The 4311 is falling slightly behind in a few ways. I still consider it the best receiver available anywhere near $1300. In fact I think it outperforms all pre/pro anywhere near that price with a cheap emotiva xpa5. How much better does the 4311 sound? Twice as good? With $50 speakers? If you think I rate them equal well you misunderstood. The 1121 was tested for 1 hour and put back in the box. It all worked. $400 worth of denon won't buy near as many connections as the pioneer either.

In real life nowhere on the internet can be found legitimate blind and measured comparisons of receiver sound quality. If you have some data please share. Every review I ever find they turn audyssey off so how good is it? I use it but I can live without it. The 4311 requires a nas. The newer models can read my home computer hard drive.
kikkenit2 is offline  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM
NBR
Senior Member
 
NBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

NBR, so you are saying that if I get $3000/pr speakerson sale for say $600, I shouldn't get an AVR that costs $1000?

OP, 4311 is a GREAT deal right now but may be an even better deal here shortly (since you are in no rush) once its replacement is released. Keep your eye on it for a deal. Buy High end, expensive speakers on close out 40-50% off prices and BAM! You have a kickass system...

. Can you please quote me where I said that? I never said anything about finding a great deal. I was stating in general terms. It's too often I see new people to this hobby want to spend $500 on a 5.0 speaker set and wants to add a $1500 receiver. I was just stating that spending the larger amount on speakers in many cases is the better way to go over buying costly receiver with cheap speakers. As for myself, I like deals especially on electronics with new models coming out every year. I have no problem buying previous models or refurbished that once was sold in the $1,000 and being close out at 30%-50% off. That's the reason I like to budget my receiver in the $400-700 range. By the way, please link me that $3000 speakers going for $600? I might be interested in buying myself if the deal is that good.

OP,

It's your money. We are just giving you our .02 cents. In the end, it's just opinions. It's your money, spend it in anyway you like. Denon, Marantz, Harman Kardon, and Yamaha are all great brands. You can't go wrong with any of them.
NBR is offline  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
SethVIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice so far, I will continue to shop for a receiver and be trying to decide on which down-the-road speakers to be watching as well.
SethVIII is offline  
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Member
 
Theresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh dear - I just spend $1500 on the Anthem MRX 500 and my speakers aren't that impressive! I'll get more later but for now just have a couple of these canadian stereo speakers in the living room by Clements (they're amazing sounding though) and some B&W in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen for the 2nd zone. I plan to get more for surround sound later but had no idea the receiver quality is less important than the speakers! However music is more important to me than movies, by a long shot (most movies sound great with most receivers but I'd read that music, not so much)... hopefully I'll have no regrets. They're installing everything now and I'm freaking out over how much this is all going to cost, lol.
Theresse is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off