Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1115 Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
XT32 vs plain EQ is DEFINITELY worth the extra cost, especially if that cost is under 300$. As for the rest of the features, YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1115 Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post

9.2 surround sound? (I don't have that. I have 5.1 and have no desire to ever add more speakers.)

Audyssey XT32? (Why do I need this so badly? Can you please explain why this is the must have feature? Will I REALLY hear a difference in my sound quality?)

Additionally, Can you please define and list these 'boatload' you speak of? (Because so far, I have not heard anything of value that makes me want to buy any of those 'boats'.)

I do not understand your values

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #33 of 1115 Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
818 has Audyssey XT32 , but you can besure its a cut down cheaper version. It won't look like the denon's 4311 Audyssey XT32 , with all the extra goodies and tweaks. But it's still Audyssey XT32 just its onkyo's lite version software package.
post #34 of 1115 Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

818 has Audyssey XT32 , but you can besure its a cut down cheaper version. It won't look like the denon's 4311 Audyssey XT32 , with all the extra goodies and tweaks. But it's still Audyssey XT32 just its onkyo's lite version software package.

That would only be the up-gradable Pro-version & then even with the Denon you have to buy a license , it's not cheap either .
but without the Pro license it's the same XT32 as what's in the Onkyo's .
Onkyo does have the SC5508 & 09 that you can add the Pro-license as well to .
All the other AVR's that have XT32 presently are the $2K plus flagship models for both Denon & Onkyo .
Is XT32 any good ? Yes it is , go over to the Audyssey thread for how good it is , I'm not going to debate XT32 here .
Having XT32 in a $1K AVR is major improvement to the 818's value , but only to those who can understand the why & not have been able to buy a AVR for around $1K with XT32 in the past .

Mike

post #35 of 1115 Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

The only thing I am not pleased about with the 818 is the deletion of the Multichannel Inputs that the 809 and previous 800 Series offered.
Cheers,
AD

I agree. I like having the option of using the MCH input of my 886 for SACD/DVD-As. But maybe it would be best to use HDMI to take advantage of XT32. Either way it is great to see options with XT32 at much lower prices.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #36 of 1115 Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

That would only be the up-gradable Pro-version & then even with the Denon you have to buy a license , it's not cheap either .
but without the Pro license it's the same XT32 as what's in the Onkyo's .
Onkyo does have the SC5508 & 09 that you can add the Pro-license as well to .
All the other AVR's that have XT32 presently are the $2K plus flagship models for both Denon & Onkyo .
Is XT32 any good ? Yes it is , go over to the Audyssey thread for how good it is , I'm not going to debate XT32 here .
Having XT32 in a $1K AVR is major improvement to the 818's value , but only to those who can understand the why & not have been able to buy a AVR for around $1K with XT32 in the past .

Well what you say is only part of the story. All the denon avrs do offer many more Audyssey tweaks as standard, denon avrs offer a full Audyssey software package, were as the onkyos would be called a lite version. Just check out the manuals and compare. Onkyos do not do a speaker phase test and a EQ read out with eq curve adjustments with Audyssey in play, just to bring out some of whats left out in the onkyo Audyssey software suit, there are many more. Onkyo just offers the basic to the bones Audyssey auto setup. But on the bright side, thats only what most users only need, unless your a tweaking freak.
post #37 of 1115 Old 04-07-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Same could be said bout video processing. Onkyo this past round went to another level. Best I have seen to date in a receiver.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 1115 Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Same could be said bout video processing. Onkyo this past round went to another level. Best I have seen to date in a receiver.

As good as it may be, today what use is it. Are you upscaling your vcr?
Better amps would be of more use....
post #39 of 1115 Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah the video processing in the 009 Onkyo's is very impressive , I have a 5008 & a 1009 , the 1009 is hands down better than the 5008 when doing processing on my DirecTV feeds , add in the new audio processing with the NEO-X . I hate to say it but I like the 1009 better than the 5008

Mike

post #40 of 1115 Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^
Heard that!
post #41 of 1115 Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can FastSlappy go into more detail on the video processing? I currently have an 801, and would like to upgrade this year, maybe to the 818.

How much does it really improve the video? I too use DirecTV. I also use the XBox 360, and the media center on it to play some shows I record on the computer.

My other question, and maybe no one knows yet, is if the front height speakers would need an additional amp to power them. I currently have a 5.1 system, I have rear surround speakers - none on the sides. But - I have two speakers going to another room that I sometimes use to play music there. Since it's a 7.2 system, I guess I could use the other 2 amps to power front height speakers if I wanted to, and then on the rare times I wanted music in the other room, use those same two amps to power the other room.

I've read other reviews saying the front height speakers don't make that much of a difference. Anyone else here have experience with that?

I'm very interested in the XT32 - it sounds like that could really improve things.
post #42 of 1115 Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

a EQ read out with eq curve adjustments with Audyssey in play

I have a Denon 3311 and it does not do this. As Fastslappy stated you are talking about the Pro kit which you have to buy and you have to also have a license for which is not cheap. It does not come standard on Denon.

post #43 of 1115 Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevess View Post

Can FastSlappy go into more detail on the video processing? I currently have an 801, and would like to upgrade this year, maybe to the 818.

How much does it really improve the video? I too use DirecTV. I also use the XBox 360, and the media center on it to play some shows I record on the computer.

My other question, and maybe no one knows yet, is if the front height speakers would need an additional amp to power them. I currently have a 5.1 system, I have rear surround speakers - none on the sides. But - I have two speakers going to another room that I sometimes use to play music there. Since it's a 7.2 system, I guess I could use the other 2 amps to power front height speakers if I wanted to, and then on the rare times I wanted music in the other room, use those same two amps to power the other room.

I've read other reviews saying the front height speakers don't make that much of a difference. Anyone else here have experience with that?

I'm very interested in the XT32 - it sounds like that could really improve things.

I love Height AND Wides adds to a seamless frontstage both in depth & expanded range . over head effects are stunning , like rain,jets fly-overs. Helicopter flying over

yeah the Video processing is processing up the DirecTV signal that is a compressed 1080P & 1080I==> adds more Color Pop ,detail,contrast .
I've had the 606 as my 1st standard reference , then got a 807 seen improvement in that Chipset , then got a 5008 seen even more improvement in the Reon chipset & now with my 1009 even more improvement ( the 818 has the same video processors as a 1009) So much so I'm selling the 5008 & buying another Onkyo that has the new processors (have not made my mind on which to get yet )
the QHV chipset is adding a cleaner signal to the compression that DirecTv has . Even the wife noticed it as soon as we started up the 1009 over the 5008 . It was a Wow moment to her as well , she was all "Why do you need a new AVR ?"
even so that SD looks way better as well .

Mike

post #44 of 1115 Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll go ahead and add in the front height speakers when I upgrade later this summer. I can't wait to see how the video processing helps out too!

I'm also hoping to upgrade my Sony 42" 720p LCD projection TV, to possibly one of the new Samsung 55" LED TV's, like the ES8000 or ES7500.

Steve
post #45 of 1115 Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevess View Post

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll go ahead and add in the front height speakers when I upgrade later this summer. I can't wait to see how the video processing helps out too!

I'm also hoping to upgrade my Sony 42" 720p LCD projection TV, to possibly one of the new Samsung 55" LED TV's, like the ES8000 or ES7500.

Steve

I like the Sharps myself , the new 70" & 80" are Cool ! I just got an 80"er
Yeah when you get the new AVR you just set the video out as 1080p but not auto & then set the display as dot to dot . then your good to go
the New NEO:X is really great with heights & wides ............ I now can't tell which speaker is out putting a certain sound but the sounds move across the room & seems to come down from the roof as well . in a movie like " The Watchmen" it really sounded like the raining that was thought out the movie was coming from the roof of my house.

Mike

post #46 of 1115 Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 21
I was thrilled to finally find a receiver that has 2 HDMIs out (that I could afford ). Unfortunately I'll have to stick with a 4x2 switcher since both HDMIs output the same signal on the 515.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #47 of 1115 Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Well what you say is only part of the story. All the denon avrs do offer many more Audyssey tweaks as standard, denon avrs offer a full Audyssey software package, were as the onkyos would be called a lite version. Just check out the manuals and compare. Onkyos do not do a speaker phase test and a EQ read out with eq curve adjustments with Audyssey in play, just to bring out some of whats left out in the onkyo Audyssey software suit, there are many more. Onkyo just offers the basic to the bones Audyssey auto setup. But on the bright side, thats only what most users only need, unless your a tweaking freak.

ahh...so that is what you mean...noted

I have to agree with everyone, the 717 does not make any sense.
post #48 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No. 1080i to 1080p is important and when done right makes HD look really good.

post #49 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joehonest

Quote:

++11oo

The up-scaling is very different with these new chipsets , the clean-up of compression is amazing , as is the scaling done on SD material as well . Don't Knock it till you have seen it !
sheshechic likes this.

Mike

post #50 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

++11oo

The up-scaling is very different with these new chipsets , the clean-up of compression is amazing , as is the scaling done on SD material as well . Don't Knock it till you have seen it !

I'll take your word that it looks good, but no algorithm can fill in information that isn't in the data to begin with. It probably does more granular interpolation than before.
post #51 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has there been an official release date for the 818 yet? I'm very much looking forward to it. I assume the pricing will remain close to MSRP for the foreseeable future.

post #52 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I have a Denon 3311 and it does not do this. As Fastslappy stated you are talking about the Pro kit which you have to buy and you have to also have a license for which is not cheap. It does not come standard on Denon.

I was talking about the denon 4311 with XT32, the denon 3311 only has XT which still offers many more tweaks than the onkyos with XT. The Pro kit is another world.
post #53 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only 1080i source I know of is HD cable TV. The 3007 does a good job, the 818 still can't make it look like bluray, there just isn't enongh data in the cable signal. But I still would like to see what 818 can do.
post #54 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only 1080i source I know of is HD cable TV. The 3007 does a good job, the 818 still can't make it look like bluray, there just isn't enongh data in the cable signal. But I still would like to see what 818 can do.

I have/had Onkyo AVR's in the 06 & 07 line as well the 5008 & now the 1009 each has better Video processor in each newer model. In other words the each year the video processors are better than the last years model .
The difference between the 5008 & the 1009 is stunning in PQ on my DirecTV feed
I never said the HQV chipset was up-proccessing to a Blu-Ray level of PQ , but it is near it .
I currently own a TX-NR807 , A TX-NR5008 & a TX-NR1009 , I donated my Onkyo 606 & sold my TX-SR707.
The Onkyo TX-NR818 has the same Video chipset as the 1009 Onkyo's.

Mike

post #55 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was talking about the denon 4311 with XT32, the denon 3311 only has XT which still offers many more tweaks than the onkyos with XT. The Pro kit is another world.

I still don't know what tweaks you’re talking about. You can't adjust the EQ curve for Audyssey without the Pro kit so I have no idea what tweaks it could be. Both Denon and Onkyo allow the same changes to the Crossover freqs, distance, and channel levels. If the Onkyos are missing something I would love to hear about it. The only thing I didn't see in the 809 manual was the ability to copy the Audyssey curve to a 9 band equalizer which disables audyssey and is just like a regular equalizer that has been around for years.

post #56 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Starting with the xx09 series Onkyo has finally allowed the change of Audyssey curves althought they don't have the bypass L/R option only Music(flat) or Movie(reference). I do wish that Onkyo provided a read out of the EQ curve but regardless you really can't tweak the curve so it's for information only. Audyssey isn't for tweakers, you'll need pro software for that.
post #57 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have/had Onkyo AVR's in the 06 & 07 line as well the 5008 & now the 1009 each has better Video processor in each newer model. In other words the each year the video processors are better than the last years model .
The difference between the 5008 & the 1009 is stunning in PQ on my DirecTV feed
I never said the HQV chipset was up-proccessing to a Blu-Ray level of PQ , but it is near it .
I currently own a TX-NR807 , A TX-NR5008 & a TX-NR1009 , I donated my Onkyo 606 & sold my TX-SR707.
The Onkyo TX-NR818 has the same Video chipset as the 1009 Onkyo's.

I also have DirecTV and am very interested to see what the 818 can do to the PQ for both HD and SD. Perhaps SD would be watchable again.

post #58 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

1080i to 1080p with DirecTV has been pretty good to great with the last couple of Onkyo generations. I have now reviewed about 40 Onkyo receivers over the past few years or more. Trust me when I say it has never been this good. I expect e 818 to be right on par...m

post #59 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1080i to 1080p with DirecTV has been pretty good to great with the last couple of Onkyo generations. I have now reviewed about 40 Onkyo receivers over the past few years or more. Trust me when I say it has never been this good. I expect e 818 to be right on par...m

So you already have the 818?

post #60 of 1115 Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

So you already have the 818?

For about a week. I am Reviewing it with some awesome BG Radia speakers (420 and 220 center). Best sound to date in my theater! When it comes to the 818, I'd be all in if I were looking.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page