Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1115 Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

And you should be!! I just hope at people listen the smart side of their brian and not their cheap, penny pinching side!!

Who's brian? I've bought three Onkyo refurbs (805, 885 and 886) without a single issue. As a matter of fact the 885 and the 886 were sold as refurbs but were brand new units in sealed boxes. I bought two "open box" Parasound 2100 preamps that were brand new in sealed boxes as well. I really got screwed on those ones. I don't consider myself cheap or a penny pincher but it sure was nice to save a ton of money on the refurb/open box components I have bought. So the above statement is nothing but an opinion without any factual data to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

I've heard of quite a few people doing this and also buying used...it's just not something I'm comfortable with, factory warranty or not. I dunno why, the word refurb just makes me nervous...

No need to think this if you are buying a refurb from an authorized dealer such as shoponkyo, Accessories4less and quite a few others. I have bought a number of used prepros, preamps and amps on Audiogon without a single issue. Over the years I have saved quite a bit on buying refurbs and used gear.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1115 Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallhall View Post

Maybe, but in all tests i have seen it has beaten the onkyo 3009 WITH XT32

Hey you asked for an opinion, if you trust the other reviews then get the Pio. I do suggest you go through the SC57 thread here on AVS and you'll see a lot of bitching by old Pio fans jumping ship and going for receivers with audyssey. MCACC has not had an upgrade in years.
post #663 of 1115 Old 05-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

Hey you asked for an opinion, if you trust the other reviews then get the Pio. I do suggest you go through the SC57 thread here on AVS and you'll see a lot of bitching by old Pio fans jumping ship and going for receivers with audyssey. MCACC has not had an upgrade in years.

Dont be so harsh with me. Yes i asked but its hard to choose as there are as much opinions as amps here. Its much money(to me), and i want the best possible amp for the money.

Right now i have the Onkyo 1009 for loan and it sonds great, just as great if not better than my old 905. But the 1009 does not have XT32.

And i also ask myself if its sensible to buy now or wait alittle while to the new gen are out

Pardon for my bad english
post #664 of 1115 Old 05-26-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

There is nothing wrong with referbed or used. It really depends on the price difference. 10-20% isn't enough for me to bite, but 30%+, I'm all over it.

Also, my 5 amps in my theater are all used and 2 of my ATI amps I have had for over 10 years with no problems.

On a side note, my 818 was shipped and I should have it by the 30th. I just finished making brackets for my new front high speakers and I have to figure out how I am going to run my speaker wire in the walls for these. I work about 12 hours a day, so I am hoping to have it up and running by the weekend to audition a few movies.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #665 of 1115 Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheeb View Post

So what do you guy think? Is it time to replace the 805 with the 818?

Strongly considering this myself, for me Audyssey and upscaling are not the deciding factors, however since the former has never worked as well for me as simply using an SPL metre and the latter is unnecessary since practically everything I watch is on Blu-ray, Vudu HDx, or HD cable and 4K is but a pipe dream at the moment.

I want the DLNA capabilities and awesome sound quality this bad boy is sure to have so that I can use it to, finally, convert all of my 6,000+ CD collection to disc, playback my high-res lossless FLAC and FLAC 5.1 files/DSD files, and get that Dolby TrueHD 5.1 file playback capability. I'm waiting on confirmation if that ALAC playback listed in the manual is native or if it is limited to AirPlay and/or USB drives or something.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #666 of 1115 Old 05-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I have to bite - please share your wisdom why buying a refurb with a factory authorized warranty is less than intelligent. Personally I have bought a few including an Onkyo 4 years ago and not a problem to be had. I imagine you have some statistic to share - not - with us tat validates yet another one of your baseless blanket statements - your forum name does not suit tHe comments you make throughout this form.

I don't have much of an issue with refurbs, but the only thing that makes me look at them funny is the shorter warranty period. That does not inspire a lot of confidence. If it had a full factory warranty I would not hesitate.
post #667 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Joerod

Have you tested the Onkyo 1009?

I have one on loan and have to say i am realy impressed with it so far. It sounds better than my old 905. Tomorrow i would pick a Pioneer LX85(SC57) and compared them

Of course. I did a Review on it, on the other forum.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #668 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Maybe, but in all tests i have seen it has beaten the onkyo 3009 WITH XT32

No way.

And not even in the same ballpark with video processing.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #669 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

No way.

And not even in the same ballpark with video processing.

Thanks for your time agian joerod

You have to translate this test to Englisih

Is the videoprocessing the same in 1009 as the 3009/5009?

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&...GYm_jtZeUs4tFA
post #670 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The countdown begins. (1) 818 at amazon and (5) at vanns. They will be gone by the end of the day. Lol

post #671 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

The countdown begins. (1) 818 at amazon and (5) at vanns. They will be gone by the end of the day. Lol

Think they'll get more?

These could be a huge product for Onkyo. I'm very much interested, primarily for XT32, but waiting until the initial buyers come back with some reviews and hopefully, a little bit of a break on price but that may not happen when they're selling out all stock in one or two days.
post #672 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Think they'll get more?

These could be a huge product for Onkyo. I'm very much interested, primarily for XT32, but waiting until the initial buyers come back with some reviews and hopefully, a little bit of a break on price but that may not happen when they're selling out all stock in one or two days.

Of course they'll get more. Maybe in 2 days or maybe in a month. I do beleave the 818 will sell like hot cakes for thext month or 2 then slow down. I also don't think we will sell much of a price break for 4+ months. The cheapest so far is $1,050 with opening a Amazon CC.

post #673 of 1115 Old 05-27-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:

Thanks for your time agian joerod

You have to translate this test to Englisih

Is the videoprocessing the same in 1009 as the 3009/5009?

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&...GYm_jtZeUs4tFA

yes they all use the same dual video chipsets ..

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #674 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, thanks for letting me join this thread. I just have a quick question. I just bought Onkyo TX-NR 818 and noticed that it takes full 15 seconds to turn the receiver on. First the onkyo logo comes on and then rest of 15 seconds to fully be on. I have heard that higher end receivers take longer than older ones. But my older receiver didn't take this long to turn on and didn't start with Onkyo sign on the screen. Is this normal or should I be concerned? And even if it is, is there anything I can do to shorten the on time. Thanks for any info.
post #675 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbasbell View Post

Hi, thanks for letting me join this thread. I just have a quick question. I just bought Onkyo TX-NR 818 and noticed that it takes full 15 seconds to turn the receiver on. First the onkyo logo comes on and then rest of 15 seconds to fully be on. I have heard that higher end receivers take longer than older ones. But my older receiver didn't take this long to turn on and didn't start with Onkyo sign on the screen. Is this normal or should I be concerned? And even if it is, is there anything I can do to shorten the on time. Thanks for any info.

You probably can shorten it by turning on some of the standby features like network control and HDMI related settings. This increases power consumption, but there's less to start up from standby.
post #676 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's just like when a computer boots up . The New AVR's are basically a computer , part of the time involved is due to the HDMI handshake that the devices must do with each other as they connect with each other to get their signals to sync .

Mike

post #677 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I didn't realize the 818 was out already. Where did you purchase yours?
post #678 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
I imagine the "computer" part is more to blame than HDMI handshake. My Yamaha RXV-1800 has a ton of HDMI stuff connected and it starts up in just a few seconds.
post #679 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PS I just started an 818 owners thread as it seems to be constituting the bulk of this thread. Would love for any new owners to provide their feedback in that thread.
post #680 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Vanns and Amazon hit them in stock Friday and promptly sold out.
post #681 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

PS I just started an 818 owners thread as it seems to be constituting the bulk of this thread. Would love for any new owners to provide their feedback in that thread.

Yup, there's no one talking about the 616 at all here... surprising.
post #682 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

You probably can shorten it by turning on some of the standby features like network control and HDMI related settings. This increases power consumption, but there's less to start up from standby.

So how do I turn on standby features like network control and HDMI related settings to shorten the turn on time? By the way I got mine from Frys electronics.
post #683 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A link would help ?!

Mike

post #684 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Errr about five down from this one?

J/k here you go.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1412714
post #685 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Errr about five down from this one?

J/k here you go.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1412714

I'm not a owner but wanted to help other owners on the where .. L O L

Mike

post #686 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So how do I turn on standby features like network control and HDMI related settings to shorten the turn on time? By the way I got mine from Frys electronics.

The network settings are under:

Setup->Hardware->Network then under "Network Control".
The other settings are under Settings->Hardware->HDMI.

Network control enables the use of Android or iOS apps to control the receiver by telling the network card to stay powered up during standby. Under HDMI there should be an option to turn on RIHD or ARC (or something like that) that keeps that section of the receiver powered up. It should be in the manual.
post #687 of 1115 Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks for all the answers. By the way, how many of the features listed in the onkyo website for TX-NR818 is automatic and how many can be changed through the menu?
post #688 of 1115 Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM

15 seconds to turn on? Is that guy serious? Can we see a youtube video of this to prove it? That seems absurd. Hopefully it's just an exaggeration...
post #689 of 1115 Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

The report from the previous user was surprising... Fry's does have these in stock. Annoying for me since mine hasn't shipped yet.
post #690 of 1115 Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post

15 seconds to turn on? Is that guy serious? Can we see a youtube video of this to prove it? That seems absurd. Hopefully it's just an exaggeration...

Its exactly as the Onkyo 1009
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page