Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1115 Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just have a quick question to people on this forum. At what volume do you guys listen to when you are watching Blu-Ray movies and cable? What would you guys consider to be the average volume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1115 Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbasbell View Post

I just have a quick question to people on this forum. At what volume do you guys listen to when you are watching Blu-Ray movies and cable? What would you guys consider to be the average volume?

That depends on receivers and if they use THX or not... Or Audyssey, etc..

Also wholly dependent on content provider...

There's no blanket answer..
post #723 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Obviously has 7 channels of amplification.

But can handle 9 channels using per amp outputs.

However there is a weird design choice they've made..., not sure why, except to up sell more expensive units.

You cannot use an external amp for your mains and the 7 receiver amps for center, height, wides and rear surrounds... You can use the 7 amps but you are forced to use external amplification for the remaining heights, wides or rear surrounds,,, meaning you will need to externally power one pair (either height, wides or rear surrounds) in a 9.1 setup, regardless of if you aren't using the AVR for LR and/or center.

Insta Preview are along bottom (even thought every graphic has them along the right side..). Probably 3-4 frames a second.. Thumbnails really....

Does the Insta Preview in the 818 can show all the 7 HDMI inputs? How big the thumbnails are in terms of pixels or in relation to the whole display? I mean will the content of the thumbnails be well visible on a 65" display from 12 feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjam View Post

Any idea about the TX-NR1010 release date?

and what else comparing to the 818 the 1010 may have? Obviously it will be full 9.2 but can be there anything more?
post #724 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Does the Insta Preview in the 818 can show all the 7 HDMI inputs? How big the thumbnails are in terms of pixels or in relation to the whole display? I mean will the content of the thumbnails be well visible on a 65" display from 12 feet?

I made an error in my initial reporting..

You can actually change the orientation of the preview to top, bottom, left or right..

You can either show a single preview or 4 thumbs..

And no, you can only see inputs 1-4 and AUX (front input..)... 5, 6 and 7 aren't not available..

I personally think the thumbs are small, but I think you can use it to "preview" what's on..

Make no mistake, this isn't picture in picture.. the previews are only a couple of frame snapshots per second, and scaled down... I will try and test it with only a single source window instead of the default 4 and see if the frame rate is any better (more PIP like..)

As a general note to everyone.. AVS is a great resource, but downloading and reading the manual can answer almost any questions you might have, and answer the ones you didn't even know to ask about

In addition, the videos posted on the Amazon product page show a lot of the features available, and most have at least a screen shot associated with them..

Amazon 818 Page Link
post #725 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada16 View Post

Hi the UK are behind the USA as usual.

I should be getting mine next week.

Can anyone confirm if it eq's subwoofers like the antimode, or would I need one.

I have a terrible room layout for subwoofer and need soemthing to help.

Thanks.

Does anyone know ?
I have one pc-13ultra so will this do what antimode does?

Thanks
post #726 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 AM

@canada16, I just signed up for you. :-)
Are you asking about the Onkyo 818? If so, its ability to handle the subwoofer is beyond that of the anitmode. MultEQ XT 32 has one of the best subwoofer EQs.
post #727 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 AM

Thank you so much.

Yes the 818, there was debate about the Subeq on this, and want to make sure it will sort out some minor positioning issues I have .

It sounds great, but feel it could sound better.

If the 818 has a better Subeq than antimode then happy days.

Thanks again for signing up just to answer my question, your a star
post #728 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada16 View Post

Thank you so much.

Yes the 818, there was debate about the Subeq on this, and want to make sure it will sort out some minor positioning issues I have .

It sounds great, but feel it could sound better.

If the 818 has a better Subeq than antimode then happy days.

Thanks again for signing up just to answer my question, your a star

I had an Anti-Mode 8033C in my system that I was using with my Onkyo 886 and a Parasound 2100. I had the 8033C in my system to EQ my sub (Rythmik F12SE) when using the 2100 which has no room correction. I would calibrate with the 8033C first then run Audyssey XT with the 886. So when I added the Denon 4311 with XT32 I kept the 8033C in my system with XT32. With some urging from a few members I removed the 8033C from my system and recalibrated with XT32. Right away I noticed a difference in the performance of my sub. The way it blended with my main speakers was better and the biggest improvement being the lack of localization.

So I would say that XT32 definitely does a better job of EQing my sub, at least in my room. The fact that the 818 does not have SubEQ should not matter if you only have one sub.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #729 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 12
Well, it's looking like Onkyo has lost my business.

I replaced my ailing 707 with a 616 on Saturday and, after finding out that the problem with the 707 is known to Onkyo, but they won't do anything about it out of warranty, the 616 has a major bug that they urgently need to address - the unit will switch off with the remote, but will not turn back on again unless you physically press the button on the front of the receiver, when it then does what looks like a cold start.

Onkyo posted a firmware update and promptly removed it after finding that a) it didn't fix the problem and b) it caused more issues than it resolved.

I made two posts on their forum, one requesting an ETA on a fix, and the rep responded to just about every other post on the forum but mine!

If Onkyo put out a new product with such little regard for QC and then can't even be bothered to reply and let me know what's going on (or even that nothing's going on!), then I can't be bothered to contribute toward their wages.

It's a real shame because I think the 616 is an outstanding product for the price, but two strikes are enough to make me return it and look for an alternative.

I have no idea what to get in its place. I got a really good deal ($399 out the door), so there's nothing even close in price/features.

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark
post #730 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post

Well, it's looking like Onkyo has lost my business.

I replaced my ailing 707 with a 616 on Saturday and, after finding out that the problem with the 707 is known to Onkyo, but they won't do anything about it out of warranty, the 616 has a major bug that they urgently need to address - the unit will switch off with the remote, but will not turn back on again unless you physically press the button on the front of the receiver, when it then does what looks like a cold start.

It looks as if the 616 I ordered earlier has a common problem. So far the 818 owners haven't made similar complaints, though I'll know by Monday if this is a common problem in the 2012 models.
post #731 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

It looks as if the 616 I ordered earlier has a common problem. So far the 818 owners haven't made similar complaints, though I'll know by Monday if this is a common problem in the 2012 models.

WELL, OnkyoUSA have responded (finally) to my complaint with word that a firmware update will be available 'soon'. On further inquiry, they say Japan has promised 'early June', so I may just have to wait and see. I love the receiver otherwise and, as I said, there's nothing close in price for the features.

I have 30 days from last Saturday to return it, so I may just have to live with it for a week or two and see what happens. A firmware update is certainly much more appealing than unplugging everything, a three hour round trip and then having to set it all up again!

post #732 of 1115 Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

I've been hanging out in the new 818 forum, but there's something that applies to all 2012 model owners who have a TX-NR515 or higher model:

Onkyo now fully supports network controls *and* menus in Zone 2 and possibly Zones 3 & 4 too.

I just verified it tonight. Also on the 818 forum I posted energy consumption values for the 818. It looks like Onkyo really did significantly reduce the standby power with HDMI or Net Control enabled.
post #733 of 1115 Old 06-02-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post

WELL, OnkyoUSA have responded (finally) to my complaint with word that a firmware update will be available 'soon'. On further inquiry, they say Japan has promised 'early June', so I may just have to wait and see. I love the receiver otherwise and, as I said, there's nothing close in price for the features.

I have 30 days from last Saturday to return it, so I may just have to live with it for a week or two and see what happens. A firmware update is certainly much more appealing than unplugging everything, a three hour round trip and then having to set it all up again!

It does fix it and it will be out momentarily.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #734 of 1115 Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Well, it's been a day and no HDMI issues or mysterious resets with the 818.
post #735 of 1115 Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Well, it's been a day and no HDMI issues or mysterious resets with the 818.

Pulled this over from the "official" Onkyo 818 owner's thread.

"I was going to wait until August to get the 818, but noticed the Vann's deal for $900 is back and couldn't resist! I got it through bountii.com (found via Google shopping) which added an "audio" coupon to bring the price to $899.89 shipped. Since this is my first post, I can't include a direct link, but go to bountii and search for 'Onkyo TX-NR818" and you'll find it.

Now I've got to go tell my wife what I just did ... forgiveness is so much easier than permission." Originally posted by yadgfp in the Onkyo 818 owner's thread.

Jack Cooper of Onkyo was kind enough to get me the 818 about three days before it went on sale but I would be all over this deal from Vann's. I just can't get over the improved sound and video from the 809. I have packed up the 809 and am ready to ship back to Onkyo. The 809 was quite an amazing receiver in its own right, but would never play nice consistently with my Epson 6500UB projector. The 818 does not have the same video issue as I experienced with the 809. My Energy VSW 10 subwoofer has never sounded better than right now being driven by the 818. The sweet spot is now the whole basement theater. The JMAX Theater. Honestly it is night and day audio wise from the 809 and the 809 sounded really good. 818 is going to make a bunch of Top Ten lists for 2012.
post #736 of 1115 Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Yeah, and that really IS a flying pig out the window!

Anyway, I fixed it myself, I think.

Turns out there is a setting for 'Network Standby' that is reset to Off after performing a Clear on the Rx. Turned it on and it appears to be working. Of course, Onkyo failed to even tell me to check this!

I'll give it a week or so and see if there are any other issues, especially video problems, which is why I performed the Clear in the first place. By then, the Yamaha 673 should be in the stores.

post #737 of 1115 Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It takes longer than that for my PS3 to boot up and get to netflix. 15 seconds is not long at all.

Turn it up!
post #738 of 1115 Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post

Pulled this over from the "official" Onkyo 818 owner's thread.

"I was going to wait until August to get the 818, but noticed the Vann's deal for $900 is back and couldn't resist! I got it through bountii.com (found via Google shopping) which added an "audio" coupon to bring the price to $899.89 shipped. Since this is my first post, I can't include a direct link, but go to bountii and search for 'Onkyo TX-NR818" and you'll find it.

Now I've got to go tell my wife what I just did ... forgiveness is so much easier than permission." Originally posted by yadgfp in the Onkyo 818 owner's thread.

Jack Cooper of Onkyo was kind enough to get me the 818 about three days before it went on sale but I would be all over this deal from Vann's. I just can't get over the improved sound and video from the 809. I have packed up the 809 and am ready to ship back to Onkyo. The 809 was quite an amazing receiver in its own right, but would never play nice consistently with my Epson 6500UB projector. The 818 does not have the same video issue as I experienced with the 809. My Energy VSW 10 subwoofer has never sounded better than right now being driven by the 818. The sweet spot is now the whole basement theater. The JMAX Theater. Honestly it is night and day audio wise from the 809 and the 809 sounded really good. 818 is going to make a bunch of Top Ten lists for 2012.

Can you elaborate on how the 818 sounds better. I returned an 809 because the music playback sounded pretty weak and compressed compared to my older HK and moreso when compared to my relatively new MRX 300. If the 818 improves in that key area, I might sell my MRX 300 and grab one of these.

Your impressions are greatly appreciated.
post #739 of 1115 Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Just as a note, you need more white space in your reviews. Partition out the wall fo text into paragraphs with double spacing between them. It will make for a much more pleasant read. Good review, though!
post #740 of 1115 Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM

I currently have a Onkyo HTIB that I have replaaced all my speakers. I need to replace my reciever. The 616 really intrigued me until I read the issues many people were having. Any word on if any firmware fixed the issue? If not any recommendations of another reciever comparable to the TX-NR616? I am looking at last years TX-NR709, it's little more, and I perfer the 616, but don't want to waste money on a lemon.
post #741 of 1115 Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM

I got the 616 this past week and I am in the middle as to whether I want to return it. I don't have the power button issues but the Android app is buggy as ever. About 50% of the time my Galaxy S2 doesn't see the receiver at all. When I do control it I get mixed results. I have upgraded 2 firmware versions so far and hope things will get better.

One thing I'm hoping someone can help me with is how to see the Wii through component to HDMI. I have the component cables running to the only component INPUT but can't get a picture anywhere. Can someone help me out here?
post #742 of 1115 Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainan View Post

I got the 616 this past week and I am in the middle as to whether I want to return it. I don't have the power button issues but the Android app is buggy as ever. About 50% of the time my Galaxy S2 doesn't see the receiver at all. When I do control it I get mixed results. I have upgraded 2 firmware versions so far and hope things will get better.
One thing I'm hoping someone can help me with is how to see the Wii through component to HDMI. I have the component cables running to the only component INPUT but can't get a picture anywhere. Can someone help me out here?

Download ORemote app. It's a lot better than the Onkyo app. It makes the Onkyo app completely obsolete. And it's also for the iPad unlike the Onkyo app. Also make sure net is always on. People don't seem to understand this needs to be on once your onkyo is off or the app will not recognize the receiver. It has to stay in standby.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #743 of 1115 Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Download ORemote app. It's a lot better than the Onkyo app. It makes the Onkyo app completely obsolete. And it's also for the iPad unlike the Onkyo app. Also make sure net is always on. People don't seem to understand this needs to be on once your onkyo is off or the app will not recognize the receiver. It has to stay in standby.

Thanks a ton for the info. I guess I'm not clear on how you keep NET always on. I'm sure this is the majority of my connectivity problems but not all. There have been times when the receiver is on and turned to BD/DVD and I couldn't access it through the app. Any ideas about the Wii connectivity?
post #744 of 1115 Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Just as a note, you need more white space in your reviews. Partition out the wall fo text into paragraphs with double spacing between them. It will make for a much more pleasant read. Good review, though!

Just saw this. Appreciate the tip. smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #745 of 1115 Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks a ton for the info. I guess I'm not clear on how you keep NET always on. I'm sure this is the majority of my connectivity problems but not all. There have been times when the receiver is on and turned to BD/DVD and I couldn't access it through the app. Any ideas about the Wii connectivity?

It's under the network settings on your receiver's setup menu. I believe all the pre 2012 models called it "network control" but the 2012 models call it "network standby".
post #746 of 1115 Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Not to mention, wifi on your phone should be on as well when you are trying to use the app.

Turn it up!
post #747 of 1115 Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the Wii, you need to set an input (let's assume GAME) to the input number for your analog component inputs.

What I would do:
Select Input/Output assign under the AVR's settings
Go to #2, HDMI Input
Find the GAME input, disable the HDMI input (Set it to '- - - - -')
Hit "Return"
Go to #3, Component Video Inputs
Find "Game" again and change it to IN1
Hit return

Now when the Wii is connected to Component input bank #1, the GAME button on the remote will switch to the Wii.

You probably do not need to disable the HDMI input above, but if that input is not using HDMI, it can't hurt.
post #748 of 1115 Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

It's under the network settings on your receiver's setup menu. I believe all the pre 2012 models called it "network control" but the 2012 models call it "network standby".

Worked! Thanks a lot. I hoped it was something simple like this.

Does anyone have the PS3 for their BD/DVD player? I was wondering what volume level you are typically at. I have Boston Acoustic speakers and with the PS3 I'm typically at about 70 on the volume and sometimes I've put it up to 80 or even 83. I've never in my life put a receiver up this high as most of the receivers in the past I wouldn't have pushed past maybe 50 or so.
post #749 of 1115 Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

For the Wii, you need to set an input (let's assume GAME) to the input number for your analog component inputs.
What I would do:
Select Input/Output assign under the AVR's settings
Go to #2, HDMI Input
Find the GAME input, disable the HDMI input (Set it to '- - - - -')
Hit "Return"
Go to #3, Component Video Inputs
Find "Game" again and change it to IN1
Hit return
Now when the Wii is connected to Component input bank #1, the GAME button on the remote will switch to the Wii.
You probably do not need to disable the HDMI input above, but if that input is not using HDMI, it can't hurt.

For some reason this still does not work for me. I tried setting HDMI to ---- for TV/CD and PC while setting component input to IN1 for each of these, just to see if either would work and neither did. I didn't set to GAME because I have my XBOX plugged in here. I must be missing something because all I get is a blue screen. frown.gif
post #750 of 1115 Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

I didn't set to GAME because I have my XBOX plugged in here. I must be missing something because all I get is a blue screen. frown.gif

Hi Kainan, should be able to stack both Xbox and Wii to the same name "Game" input. When signals are present at more than one input under same name, HDMI takes priority then Component Video and then Composite Video So it will depend which console is "on" when "Game" input button is pressed.

Here is another suggestion, get a Wii2HDMI.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page