Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

For about a week. I am Reviewing it with some awesome BG Radia speakers (420 and 220 center). Best sound to date in my theater! When it comes to the 818, I'd be all in if I were looking.

Looking forward to your review of the 818, thinking of replacing my 805 with the 818.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

For about a week. I am Reviewing it with some awesome BG Radia speakers (420 and 220 center). Best sound to date in my theater! When it comes to the 818, I'd be all in if I were looking.

Awesome. Im waiting to see what denon announces for the xx13 series but I'm might get the 818 even if the 3313 has xt32 just to have something different. I have had a Denon 3310 and 3311 and I'm ready for something new. I will probably wait till mid or late summer to see what the street price settles on because the 809 dropped pretty quick. I'm pretty pumped for xt32!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post

Looking forward to your review of the 818, thinking of replacing my 805 with the 818.

I am with you on this. To date, I have been very satisfied with my 805, but XT32, networking, and video processing at this price point is making me look extra hard at the 818.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Can't wait for your review. Please post a link if you can when you are done.

I am trying to talk the old lady into us needing a new receiver, and this one is on my very short list

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Great news, and I'm awaiting the review.

Can you please confirm if the 818 has full MultEQ XT32/SubEQ HT implementation, or onkyo implemented a cut down version to lower the cost ? As this is the main reason for me to buy one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Currently have the 809 and was considering the upgrade to the 818.
Issue is the 818 deletes the VCR/DVR In/Out RCA's.
I currently have a cassette deck plugged into these jacks. The RCA out is used for recording, which can also send an audio signal to my standalone CDR.
With the 818 is there another way to get RCA audio out for recording?

CC

Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Found answer for myself. Zone outs can feed audio to my recording devices.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post

Currently have the 809 and was considering the upgrade to the 818.
Issue is the 818 deletes the VCR/DVR In/Out RCA's.
I currently have a cassette deck plugged into these jacks. The RCA out is used for recording, which can also send an audio signal to my standalone CDR.
With the 818 is there another way to get RCA audio out for recording?

CC

Cassette deck... niiiiice...

Upgraditis Anonymous
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

I'm really curious if the net features on the 818 still suck up the 50+ continuous use watts that the 809 did. Is there any chance you could put a kill-a-watt on this thing and check?

I really wish Onkyo would add airplay and improve their network integration, but the feature set on the 818 looks really tough to beat, I think I might have to get one (and an AppleTV to fill the airplay gap).
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I'm really curious if the net features on the 818 still suck up the 50+ continuous use watts that the 809 did. Is there any chance you could put a kill-a-watt on this thing and check?

I really wish Onkyo would add airplay and improve their network integration, but the feature set on the 818 looks really tough to beat, I think I might have to get one (and an AppleTV to fill the airplay gap).

I have a Denon and I still have AppleTV because the user interface is so much better and the Denon wont let you stream video. I don't think it's a big loss to not have airplay because appleTV does a much better job in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I have a Denon and I still have AppleTV because the user interface is so much better and the Denon wont let you stream video. I don't think it's a big loss to not have airplay because appleTV does a much better job in my opinion.

Thanks.

I do know that with the new Pioneer units, the unit will be in a low power "network aware" mode and can be turned on and music streaming started all via your iPhone or Bluetooth device (or so they say).

I had however a few months ago more or less wound up in the same place... just add an AppleTV to whatever AVR I purchased to get the full Airplay experience.

The 818 does have Pandora though, right? And will be able to play it to zone 2?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3cwill View Post

I am with you on this. To date, I have been very satisfied with my 805, but XT32, networking, and video processing at this price point is making me look extra hard at the 818.

/Rant

I agree 100% with this.
I have and love my TX-SR805 and would not trade it for anything... Well, maybe the TX-NR818.

I have loved everything about my 805 and I have watched the models roll off the shelf for the past few years quietly.
Yes, there have been many improvements, features, and upgrades to the 8xx models (and all the other models) throughout the years, but none of them have made me jump up and say "I have to take the 805 out of the theater room."

That is, until now.

When the first network receivers came out I was delighted. By night, I am an audio lover, and by day I an a Systems Administrator. So for me, networking one of my favorite devices was one of the most awesome features I could have dreamed of.
I knew that it would take a version or two to get all the "kinks" out, as it does with any new implementation of technology, and it seems that Onkyo has ironed out most of everything.

One of my office mates was in need of a cheap amp/receiver last year and I talked him into the HT-RC360. I have heard nothing but great reviews about that receiver regarding all of the new network additions. It was then that I knew that Onkyo had got the networking right; when the lowest priced unit garners that sort of respect for the added features that it has, even over receivers 2-3x the cost.

So, at that point I started thinking about getting an 808 (Not just because it is an epic bass drum, but) because those models were just starting come down in price at that time. The thing is, the more I thought about it, the more I kept going back to the 805 I had sitting in my living room and saying, I really can't justify replacing this just yet.
It just sounds too damn good.
So, I waited...

Then the 809's came out, and I did the same exact thing. I even thought about moving up and getting a 1009. (Which would have been a really good move from I have been reading)
But, I just could not justify upgrading.

I had to stop for a moment and ask myself.
"Are you happy with the way that your setup looks and sounds?"
"Of course I am, but I can always upgrade."
I stopped right there.

"Of course I am happy" (with the Onkyo TX-SR805)

Well, that answered my question. So, I went back to waiting.

Enter 2012, and I know that at some point Onkyo will do something new. I received my weekly email "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread has something new, and it sat in my inbox for a few days as it usually does.
So, this afternoon I opened up AVS and laughed for a moment.
First post
Quote:

#1 06-06-07, 06:38 AM

Current post: #22411 04-14-12, 03:15 PM

That got me thinking again, and I asked myself that question again:
"Am I happy with the way my HT setup works?"
I thought about that and thought how upset I got last weekend when I was trying to play Skyrim and the video started tearing, and cutting out because the capacitors in the HDMI board of the 805 are on their way out. I know that I will be fixing that soon, and I turned up the fan sitting on top of the Onkyo from "Quiet and hot" to "Loud and Cool" and I kept playing.
That got me thinking about looking at a replacement again, but of course I was too busy listening to the tumblers click, clack, and crunch; as I tried to pick a lock to a chest full of loot.

I think that someone at Onkyo remembered how awesome the 805 was when it came out. Because I know I remember quite well, at that point in time (June 2007) that the 805 was in a class well above it's price point.
I remember thinking when I picked it up. "Damn, I bet the amp in this thing is a monster..."
After thinking to myself, I remembered reading last year about the new line of stereo amplifies that were released aimed at the Hi-Fi crowd. I remember drooling over the M-5000R and saying "I am going to have to find a really, REALLY good deal on one of those next year…"
I wondered if Onkyo would ever put that sort of amp section back into their receivers, and if they would ever do something like what they did with the 805's (which if you have read about it, you know that the amplifier section is pretty beefy) Mmmm Beefy. But, I know that would be a terrible idea from a business sense and that it would probably never happen, well not at a price that I was willing to pay.
Looking at the specs , it seems like someone in the "Reference Hi-Fi" department wandered over to team 8xx and said "Hey guys, remember that bet we had with the 805? Yeah, I bet you I can fit that much amp into your new 8xx's"

So, I looked around and found a new thread, which of course means a new line of receivers. At this point, I was ready to take a look, get disappointed and get ready to wait another year.

Where does this leave me now?
Excited that I will have a new shiny receiver in the next couple of months.
Excited that I will not be downgrading on my amp section.
Excited that I will finally get to stream Pandora FROM my receiver, instead of TO it.
Excited that I will get to try out Audyssey MultiEQ XT32
Excited that I will get to use my tablet running Android to remotely control audio in my home.
Excited that I will get to use all of the features I have helped so many of my friends and colleagues have on their newer Onkyo. (after they saw my setup)
Excited that I will have 2 subwoofer pre-outs, so I don't have to use a splitter to the amps for my subs.
Excited that I will be able to plug in a pair of speakers, and run "Pure Audio" mode in my bedroom… Now I have a reason to build two sets of SEOS Waveguides...

Where does this leave me now?

Waiting Joerod's full review of the Onkyo TX-NR818
Quote:

... Best sound to date in my theater! When it comes to the 818, I'd be all in if I were looking.

If the numbers on paper represent anything close to how this unit performs, then I think it is going to be hard for vendors to keep these on the shelves for the next year and a half.

TL;DR: I am excited about the Onkyo TX-NR818's and am finally willing to move my TX-SR805 out of the living room.

Max

Dual Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" Sonosub Build thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1223658
"You mean, you um, you built those things?"
"Yep!" "Why?" *Power on* "Oh, that's why"
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Thanks.

I do know that with the new Pioneer units, the unit will be in a low power "network aware" mode and can be turned on and music streaming started all via your iPhone or Bluetooth device (or so they say).

I had however a few months ago more or less wound up in the same place... just add an AppleTV to whatever AVR I purchased to get the full Airplay experience.

The 818 does have Pandora though, right? And will be able to play it to zone 2?

From the Onkyo website:

Quote:

Hybrid Standby provides HDMI through' functionality while the receiver sleeps, so you don't have to fully power up to watch a Blu-ray or play a game using just your TV's sound. The receiver also maintains a local network connection when on Hybrid Standby mode, so you can switch the unit on at any time using the Onkyo remote apps for iPod touch/iPhone and Android phone.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/a...414/index.html

Quote:

Furthermore, Hybrid Standby allows HDMI pass-through to a consumer's HDTV while the receiver is off, allowing the user to watch a Blu-ray with TV sound without wasting power, as well as allowing the receiver to be switched on from standby by Onkyo Remote Apps installed on an iPod Touch/iPhone/Android device.

That last feature will come in particularly handy for consumers who wish take advantage of the TX-NR414's Zone 2 line-out facility which permits a different audio source to be replayed in a second room.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles/...ers-76129.html

Max

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
It's a TX-NR818 not a TX-SR818

NR means it's a network compatible with a lan input !!

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@3AM. That sounds excellent, I hope they got power consumption under control in these hybrid modes.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
As a recent current owner of the 4311, I can say that XT32 is absolutely worth the investment. I'm curious to see if the 818 XT32 will EQ the sub. That is where a lot of the improvement comes from.

Had I not bought the 4311 before the 818 was announced, I would have waited for it. Heck, I might even sell the 4311 if I can get the 818 at a discounted price, if it equals out to what the 4311 can do.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Max - I really don't think the 818 amp section will rival the 805. The 805 can just about put out its rated power with all channels driven. I will be shocked if the 818 will do that. In the real world, the difference won't matter much, though.

818 has a great feature set - xt32 at this price point is killer.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

As a recent current owner of the 4311, I can say that XT32 is absolutely worth the investment. I'm curious to see if the 818 XT32 will EQ the sub. That is where a lot of the improvement comes from.

Had I not bought the 4311 before the 818 was announced, I would have waited for it. Heck, I might even sell thshe 4311 if I can get the 818 at a discounted price, if it equals out to what the 4311 can do.

It should EQ the sub - heck even plain old MultiEQ does that. Sub EQ is a part of XT32.

818 should equal 4311 roomEQ-wise if you only need 7 channels.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

It should EQ the sub - heck even plain old MultiEQ does that. Sub EQ is a part of XT32.

818 should equal 4311 roomEQ-wise if you only need 7 channels.

XT32 will do both subs EQ'ed separately

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

XT32 will do both subs EQ'ed separately

Are you positive about this?

The reason I ask is on the audyssey website they have sub eq HT listed separately from xt32. It's not clear to me that xt32 includes sub eq ht. I believe every receiver that has xt32 also has sub eq ht, but that doesn't mean it will always be the case.

I'm not questioning you. I just want clarification.

If audyssey would upgrade their website where they list receivers that have certain flavors of audyssey to include newer receivers, that would make things easier for me.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Are you positive about this?

The reason I ask is on the audyssey website they have sub eq HT listed separately from xt32. It's not clear to me that xt32 includes sub eq ht. I believe every receiver that has xt32 also has sub eq ht, but that doesn't mean it will always be the case.

I'm not questioning you. I just want clarification.

If audyssey would upgrade their website where they list receivers that have certain flavors of audyssey to include newer receivers, that would make things easier for me.

Here is what the product sheet on Onkyo’s website says about XT32 on the 818:
Quote:

"Audyssey MultEQ XT32
Audyssey’s top-of-the-line room correction suite equalizes
the sound to suit the unique acoustics of your listening
space. High-resolution filters are applied to all channels—
including subwoofers—based on information collected from
more than 10,000 individual control points across eight
measurement positions."

Since subwoofers is plural I think SubEQ HT will be included but I guess we will have to wait for some sort of confirmation. The product sheet is on this page.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Does instapreview take live video from other inputs or is it just a screen capture?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM

I really have a need for the 2 out HDMI ports and the 616 would be perfect for me, but the deal killer is the Audyssey 2EQ, hard to understand why they don't have XT on the 616 and 717. Guess I'll stay with Denon in my price range with the single out but XT implementation, that is more important to me.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Here is what the product sheet on Onkyo's website says about XT32 on the 818:

Since subwoofers is plural I think SubEQ HT will be included but I guess we will have to wait for some sort of confirmation. The product sheet is on this page.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d

That is AWESOME to hear. I have not read up on XT32 as far as EQ-ing multiple subwoofer outputs.
This would make a night and day difference in my dual SonoSubs.

Max

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3AMRecords View Post

That is AWESOME to hear. I have not read up on XT32 as far as EQ-ing multiple subwoofer outputs.
This would make a night and day difference in my dual SonoSubs.

I've read up on XT32/SubEQ HT and its supposed to do an excellent job for multiple subs. It pings them separately to set the distance, delays and levels and then adds them together to eq with the rest of your system. I have heard some very good reports from people with dual subs and XT32. I just hope the 818 has the full version because I sold my 3310 and I have a buyer setup for my 3311 so I'm ready to buy.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
According to Audyssey, any AVR, with any version Audyssey could incorporate SubEQ HT if they wanted to:

"So far only AVRs with XT32 have incorporated Sub EQ HT, but it's not a requirement. Any AVR maker that wants to add the Sub EQ HT functionality can do it."

Taken from this recent (Feb 2012) Audyssey page:
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...vs-multeq-xt32

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

According to Audyssey, any AVR, with any version Audyssey could incorporate SubEQ HT if they wanted to:

"So far only AVRs with XT32 have incorporated Sub EQ HT, but it's not a requirement. Any AVR maker that wants to add the Sub EQ HT functionality can do it."

Taken from this recent (Feb 2012) Audyssey page:
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...vs-multeq-xt32

That is true. The Onkyo 1007, 3007 and 5007 all had MultEQ XT with SubEQ HT. The only difference was that version of SubEQ HT could ping 2 subs separately but couldn't add them back together. I still haven't seen a receiver with XT32 and no SubEQ HT but I'm not saying it's not possible. Hopefully the 818 has it. We need joerod to come back and answer this for us.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Hi everyone, can't wait to see the street prices on the 818 a few months after it comes out. I would like to move to the 818 from my 10 year-ish old Kenwood VR-4700. Right now I don't have a subwoofer. I have a pair of JBL S312s as my fronts which are very strong down to 40Hz. I do about 85% music (2ch) and 15% movies/concerts (HD5.1). So, I have a couple of questions (hopefully none are stupid):

I'm having a hard time finding a sub in a price range ($~400) I'm comfortable with that does well in music (I'm open to doing a DIY sub). If I run a sub using only the LFE connection, will any signal be sent to the sub when listening to 2ch music with a newer AVR that has Audessy XT32? I guess I'm asking if I can have the best of both worlds. When listening to my 2ch music from my SqueezeBox Touch I would like only for my S312s to be used. And when watching a movie or concert with 5.1, then the sub would be used also. Does the LFE (.1) signal even get routed to my fronts if I don't have a sub or is the LFE signal just ignored and not played?

Make any sense? Any recommendations?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

Plural can mean one of two things. It can eq both subs as one unit or it can eq both subs independently. It seems like one of the requirements for eq of both subs independently is the receiver has to have a mechanism for outputting distinct signals for each sub. I believe only high end receivers do this. Most .2 receivers send the same signal to both channels.

Audyssey claims sub eq ht is fully integrated with MultiEQ
http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/sub-eq-ht

But if you filter for receivers that have Sub eq ht
http://www.audyssey.com/products?tid...earch+Products
Only high end Denon's and Onkyo's have it. Far fewer than receivers that have MultiEq.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

It's a TX-NR818 not a TX-SR818

NR means it's a network compatible with a lan input !!

You are correct! I will edit my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

Max - I really don't think the 818 amp section will rival the 805. The 805 can just about put out its rated power with all channels driven. I will be shocked if the 818 will do that. In the real world, the difference won't matter much, though.

818 has a great feature set - xt32 at this price point is killer.

One thing that really makes me excited about this model, and *Hopeful* that Onkyo does, that I have seen other receiver, component, and even car manufactures do; is to build a few base models, with layout and a skeleton of parts, and then build on that for several different models.

Seeing all of the new "Hi-Fi" amps that Onkyo has produced in the past year means good things, not just for those amps, but for ALL of their equipment.
This is due in part to the fact that at the factory they are going to be used to the higher build quality standards, they will be using better parts, and usually, those parts will all be purchased in bulk, so they will use them in more than one model.

A good example of this is in the automotive industry. For example:
Infinity G35 and the Nissan 350Z share the save drivetrain, and even a some of the underpinnings, and suspension.
The same applies for the Infinity G37 and the Nissan 370Z.
Look at the GM Chevy/Pontiac LT1 and LS1 motors. Those were used in the Chevy Camero, Pontiac Firebird/Firehawk, and of course the Corvette.
The Vette of course had different heads, valves, and hardened internals etc. But GM used quite a few of the same parts in the manufacturing process.
What this means is: That the base performance, and build quality of the standard z28 Camero (and thus upgrade potential) was on par with that of a vehicle costing 2-3x the cost.

I know this will generate a bit of debate, but the TX-SR805 is THX Ultra 2 certified, and the NR818 is only Select 2 certified.
There were a few discussions on this when the 806/7/8/9's came out. about this and they were pretty heated.

If you notice that the 818, 717 and 616 are all Select 2 Plus.
So, they may contain similar amp sections.
Last year's models to be Ultra 2 Certified were the 5009 and 3009, whereas the 1009 and the 809 were Select 2 certified.
I am by no means saying that all of the receivers above had the same amplifier sections, but that they probably share the same components, and physical layout.

Joerod, while performing your review of the 818, would you be able to get any good pictures of the internals of the receiver?
You don't have to take the case off, but that would be extremely helpful in determining how the amp section is laid out.
If it is comparable to the 515/616 models, then we know it will sound good, but if it is comparable to the higher end models* then we know it will sound great.

References:

Comparison of current models: Link
THX Link
Audioholics THX Select 2 and Ultra 2 Questions: Link
^ An older link
Wikipedia THX: THX
The TX-8050 TX-8030
Neither of these have any THX Certification at all.
Onkyo's current "Hi-Fi" offerings.
Source: Onkyo Hi-Fi
Nor do any of these carry a THX Certification.
Onkyo AV Separates: Link
I *Think* these are last years models, but I could be mistaken.
They are ALL Ultra 2 certified. Which would correspond with the 5009 and 3009 respectively.

Max

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818