Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy View Post

Any suggestions on what to do about the center speaker ERROR?

Also, I tried to upscale to the 4K setting going from my Comcast DVR/Onkyo 717/Samsung D7000 series plasma and the TV lost its signal. All I could see was the TV with a no signal message. I then had to go through the menu while using the small LED screen on the 717, bring it down to 1080p and the image came back to the TV. Is that my TV or the receiver?
No ideas on the error (what does the manual say?) but if your TV isn't 4K then you won't get a picture if you use 4K.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question to all , i have the onkyo 616 , i ran the audyssey setup last night in all 3 positions and for some reason it set the crossover on my two sony ssf6000 floorstanding speakers to 50hz . Is this normal for these speakers and what would raising the crossover up to say 90hz actually do ? Thank you
post #993 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

No ideas on the error (what does the manual say?) but if your TV isn't 4K then you won't get a picture if you use 4K.

Good point, I never checked if my 2012 65" Samsung D7000 takes that resolution. After what happened I guess not.

I wasn't able to find anything in the manual about the ERROR code of the center speaker. Based on the sound I guess the twitter may need replacing. I've seen it done on bigger twitters on YouTube, no idea if I can do the same on my center speaker.
post #994 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Sorry, your TV must process 4K in order for it to work. Remember that you are "upscaling" video material from a lower resolution. You get no signal or an error because your TV can not handle the signal (frequency).

Easy Fix....

Buy a New TV.... tongue.gif
post #995 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Alos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMineMyself View Post

Sorry, your TV must process 4K in order for it to work. Remember that you are "upscaling" video material from a lower resolution. You get no signal or an error because your TV can not handle the signal (frequency).

Easy Fix....

Buy a New TV.... tongue.gif

Almost wish I could! $2,900 spent on that Samsung and just over a year later it started to peal! Samsung sent me a new screen installed by their tech guy a couple of months ago and now this one has a dead pixel and noticeable buzzing. Went from bad to worst.

For now I'll upscale my cable and PC movies to 1080p and make the best of it.
post #996 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Just received my 717 yesterday. I need to buy a new HDMI cable, but for now I'm trying to do a quick connect just to get a taste but I'm getting en ERROR code from the CENTER speaker while trying to use the 2EQ. I changed the negative/positives and no change. Any ideas what the ERROR code could be on that one speaker? If I cant corrected it, will I be able to use the 2EQ setting?

Update: I plugged the center speaker to another speaker outlet (surround) and the ERROR also came up there so the problem is not the 717 but the speaker. Then I also changed the cable on the center speaker and still the ERROR comes up.

I do hear that the "chirping" of the 2EQ is higher pitched on all other speakers and not as high pitched on the center speaker. Could my 2006 Infinity Modulus II be bad? What now?

There is only one way the pos/neg red/black goes ... the right way. Ohm out a cable if you have to or use one with obvious colors.

You can also try another speaker in it's place (one from a set you are not using). Sounds like a bad speaker ... likely a bad tweeter driver.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403172/onkyo-new-avrs-tx-nr818-717-616-official-discussion-no-price-talk-thread/960#post_22891567

post #997 of 1115 Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Simpleton question:

On our old Onkyo we constantly used the ALL CHANNEL STEREO setting to watch most everything (especially since we watch TV on it 90% of the time). We like how every seating possition gets the same sound. On this new 717 we've been doing the same thing. Silly question, but am I really missing out on a lot by not using all the other settings while watching TV and movies from the HTPC? I'm not the biggest fan of just hearing voices from the center speaker and other sounds from the other 6 speakers.
post #998 of 1115 Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Simpleton question:

On our old Onkyo we constantly used the ALL CHANNEL STEREO setting to watch most everything (especially since we watch TV on it 90% of the time). We like how every seating possition gets the same sound. On this new 717 we've been doing the same thing. Silly question, but am I really missing out on a lot by not using all the other settings while watching TV and movies from the HTPC? I'm not the biggest fan of just hearing voices from the center speaker and other sounds from the other 6 speakers.
First: to each their own.
But to me? There's no way I watch a movie, blu-ray, tv etc and not use EXT32 audyssey settings. I have a 7.2 system and I love the way cars, etc 'surround' me. Sometimes I listen to music on ALL CHANNEL STEREO but never for TV, etc.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #999 of 1115 Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

First: to each their own.
But to me? There's no way I watch a movie, blu-ray, tv etc and not use EXT32 audyssey settings. I have a 7.2 system and I love the way cars, etc 'surround' me. Sometimes I listen to music on ALL CHANNEL STEREO but never for TV, etc.
P

I'd love to test that out but I'm having an issues with my center speaker (looks like the twitter is out) and Audyssey is giving me an ERROR code. As soon as I fix that speaker I'll see how the Audyssey setting work.
post #1000 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 AM

I just got an NR616 a couple of days ago. I also thought it strange to have the volume up to more than half (50+) for a normal volume. I did the adjustments and now it seems more normal.
I got this because I'm getting a new HDTV in a couple of weeks and this is my first AV receiver experience. The 616 offers a lot of options. I have Linn Keilidh for my main speakers so bi-amp operation is a nice option.
The sound for movies is quite good, excellent in fact. TV sound is also very nice. Question I have - for listening to normal music the sound seems kind of anemic. I'm still poking around so maybe I'll get a better result but so far my old "stereo" setup was much more satisfying for music.
Overall I'm happy with the home theatre operation and haven't had any horror stories to report (yet). Just wondering what others impressions were.
There's a mountain of posts about problems but I haven't seen too much on evaluating the overall sound particularly compared to legacy stereo setups.
post #1001 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Question using audyssey 2eq on 717. Just hooked up a XPA-5 amp and now audyssey doesn't get past left front. Worked fine with speakers connected to 717 speaker connections. Will audyssey work with speakers connected to amp via pre amp out or is there a setting I should be looking for. Thanks
post #1002 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwares View Post

I also thought it strange to have the volume up to more than half (50+) for a normal volume. I did the adjustments and now it seems more normal.

If you don't mind me asking, what adjustments did you do? Are you saying that the normal volume level is now less than 50?

Thanks
Gary

See Profile for HW/SW configuration.
post #1003 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Gary, Just set the speakers up from 0db to +6db etc. Now level 50 is not "loud" but a lot better than it was. Normal tv volume I set like between 42 and 50. That's louder that I used to have the tv but not as loud as if I'm watching tv. There's still plenty of headroom and I haven't cranked it past 80 or so - just for testing. I think there might be a setting for the volume control to function in linear or analog mode but I may be thinking of something else. Still getting used to this.
post #1004 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
^^
Note that increasing every speaker volume level from 0 to +6db not only reduces the maximum master volume setting that much but also is no different then simply raising the master volume 6db (eg. 50 to 56db).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1005 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorste View Post

Question using audyssey 2eq on 717. Just hooked up a XPA-5 amp and now audyssey doesn't get past left front. Worked fine with speakers connected to 717 speaker connections. Will audyssey work with speakers connected to amp via pre amp out or is there a setting I should be looking for. Thanks

Shouldn't be any issue if there are no wiring connection issues. Check for a loose speaker wire from one post touching another post.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1006 of 1115 Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 PM

I get the "chirp" sound, but it seems as though the microphone isn't receiving the sound. I get the test tone sounds when setting up level manually. I am thinking the microphone may have failed. I was hoping it was just some setting I missed.
post #1007 of 1115 Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM

So I'm getting ready to upgrade my receiver, and I'm stuck deciding between the 818 and 717. The only real difference I see for my particular setup is the independent block construction and the Audyssey XT32 vs 2EQ. I realize the Audyssey is a big difference, but at the current prices I'm seeing a $350 difference in the 818 vs the 717. Is it worth the extra money?
post #1008 of 1115 Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddunlow View Post

So I'm getting ready to upgrade my receiver, and I'm stuck deciding between the 818 and 717. The only real difference I see for my particular setup is the independent block construction and the Audyssey XT32 vs 2EQ. I realize the Audyssey is a big difference, but at the current prices I'm seeing a $350 difference in the 818 vs the 717. Is it worth the extra money?

How about the Pioneer SC-1222-K usually on sale for $529. The only issues I see with it is that it doesn't have 12v triggers. Or a refurbished Denon 3313ic. I don't think I will be buying Onkyo's anymore due to their poor HDMI board performance.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #1009 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I would probably let them ride if not rattling, foam surrounds not torn, a single driver not blown, etc. (that's what usually pushes me to buy a new set).

I would say Polk or Infinity. Love my Monitor 40 Series II (and you have a sub) .

I just moved my miss-matched set into the other room and bought a whole set of Polk separates (never done that before). Most of my old was JBL.

The Polk set is very "clear". The 505 is way low but not boomy.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=uzCIMufCQLk

Here is a little you tube video on hooking up a subwoofer

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #1010 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Finally finished reading through this thread. I think I'm getting ready to buy a 616 (coming from an HK AVR-247) but I want to check-in here first. It seems all the love is for the 818, while the 717 and 616 are considered "meh" compared to other models available from other brands. I guess my question then is: if I'm eyeing the 616, what other brand/model would be worth considering instead?

What matters to me:
  • Qty of HDMI inputs
  • Ability to matrix 5.1 HD lossless multichannel PCM to 7.1 speakers
  • Audio quality
  • Picture quality
  • Price

What doesn't matter to me:
  • Anything more than 7.1 (including multiple subs)
  • Multi room/zone
  • pre-outs
  • iPad/Pod/Phone integration
  • Network play/streaming
  • Power (I have a small room in an apartment)

While I'm sure that XT32 is amazing and all, considering my room and the fact that it's about the only thing useful to me in the 818, I can't justify over 2X the price over the 616 just for that feature. I'd rather put that money towards my new projector, where I'll see far more return on my money.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #1011 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

Finally finished reading through this thread. I think I'm getting ready to buy a 616 (coming from an HK AVR-247) but I want to check-in here first. It seems all the love is for the 818, while the 717 and 616 are considered "meh" compared to other models available from other brands. I guess my question then is: if I'm eyeing the 616, what other brand/model would be worth considering instead?

What matters to me:
  • Qty of HDMI inputs
  • Ability to matrix 5.1 HD lossless multichannel PCM to 7.1 speakers
  • Audio quality
  • Picture quality
  • Price

What doesn't matter to me:
  • Anything more than 7.1 (including multiple subs)
  • Multi room/zone
  • pre-outs
  • iPad/Pod/Phone integration
  • Network play/streaming
  • Power (I have a small room in an apartment)

While I'm sure that XT32 is amazing and all, considering my room and the fact that it's about the only thing useful to me in the 818, I can't justify over 2X the price over the 616 just for that feature. I'd rather put that money towards my new projector, where I'll see far more return on my money.

You would be more than satisfied with the 616. I have the 717 and the *price* was the determining factor for me. As much as I would have loved having the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 it wasn't worth the extra $500 (at that time the 818 was that much more than the 717). Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how well the Audyssey 2EQ worked, for it sounds much better than with my former Pioneer receiver using their MCACC calibration. The Onkyo offers such a full and rich sound compared to several other brands. Having said that, I'm crossing my fingers regarding the dreaded "HDMI board problem" that has plagued Onkyo receivers for several years. My Onkyo 705 only lasted 13 months and the board went out, one short month after the warranty period expired. I believe the current Onkyos run cooler so hopefully this problem has been solved.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #1012 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I believe the current Onkyos run cooler so hopefully this problem has been solved.

A cool amp is a happy, long-lasting amp (even when driven hard).

Add an external fan if needed (before damage is done).

post #1013 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Add an external fan if needed (before damage is done).

Where exactly would you place an external fan? And do you have any recommendations on what brand to get...and where to get it (I'm a big fan of Amazon and I've got AmazonPrime, so hopefully they would have a good fanI could purchase)? I've been very impressed with how cool the Onkyo has been running but last night I watched Skyfall at -10 during its whole running time of well over two hours and it was much warmer than I like. My 705 would have been boiling, but I still want to "play it safe" as you suggested.

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #1014 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Luckily my AV stand is open on all 4 sides, and nothing is placed on top of (or beneath) the AVR. Cooling shouldn't be an issue.

Glad to know the Onkyo will suit me. I've had good luck with Onkyo equipment in the past. Just wasn't sure if I should be looking at Yamaha or Pioneer units to get more of the features that would matter to me for the price of the 616. Some posts I read earlier in this thread suggested this.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And... it's "couldn't care less". Thank you. :)
post #1015 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where exactly would you place an external fan? And do you have any recommendations on what brand to get...and where to get it (I'm a big fan of Amazon and I've got AmazonPrime, so hopefully they would have a good fanI could purchase)? I've been very impressed with how cool the Onkyo has been running but last night I watched Skyfall at -10 during its whole running time of well over two hours and it was much warmer than I like. My 705 would have been boiling, but I still want to "play it safe" as you suggested.

I use this on my Onkyo 607

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361059534&sr=8-2&keywords=Antec+Veris

Super hot without it. Luke-warm with it. I've had it on there since the beginning (7-2009). I keep it on low. Smart Power Strip turns in on/off.

post #1016 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use this on my Onkyo 607

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361059534&sr=8-2&keywords=Antec+Veris

Super hot without it. Luke-warm with it. I've had it on there since the beginning (7-2009). I keep it on low. Smart Power Strip turns in on/off.

Thanks for the link, but it's not going to work. I only have about an inch clearance between the top of my receiver and stand and this is 1.8" tall.

I have an open stand on all sides so maybe I'm worrying for nothing, though as I said the receiver was much warmer than I would like after watching almost 3 hours of Skyfall (in fact, it was over three hours because I went back and watched some of the scenes).

post #1017 of 1115 Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link, but it's not going to work. I only have about an inch clearance between the top of my receiver and stand and this is 1.8" tall.

I have an open stand on all sides so maybe I'm worrying for nothing, though as I said the receiver was much warmer than I would like after watching almost 3 hours of Skyfall (in fact, it was over three hours because I went back and watched some of the scenes).

There are other ways if you can't do it the easy way.

From the manual:

If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation,

such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is

adequate ventilation.

Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and

10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or

board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away

from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for

warm air to escape.

post #1018 of 1115 Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I'm amazed at how well the Audyssey 2EQ worked, for it sounds much better than with my former Pioneer receiver using their MCACC calibration.
Sorry, I can't understand how anyone can be amazed with 2EQ comparing to any, even simple full-range calibration. 2EQ doesn't do anything below 1kHz, where it is needed the most. MCACC could also be quite different versions starting from doing nothing except level-distance detection and ending with full-range EQ, standing wave control and full-range phase control.
post #1019 of 1115 Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post

Sorry, I can't understand how anyone can be amazed with 2EQ comparing to any, even simple full-range calibration. 2EQ doesn't do anything below 1kHz, where it is needed the most. MCACC could also be quite different versions starting from doing nothing except level-distance detection and ending with full-range EQ, standing wave control and full-range phase control.

If the 818 is out of reach, then 717 with the 2EQ is thebest/only option.
post #1020 of 1115 Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

If the 818 is out of reach, then 717 with the 2EQ is thebest/only option.

It is not.
And I wouldn't call the 818 the best option in it's range either (telling it as an owner of 818).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page