Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1136 Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin View Post

I can't believe my two HDMI ports on my TV just stopped working out of nowhere!

They do make HDMI to Component converter (I never use one before). You could try doing a reset on the TV if that is even possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1136 Old 06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin View Post

The HDMI ports on my TV have seen to have died...
Out of interest. Which make and model of TV do you have?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #1113 of 1136 Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Out of interest. Which make and model of TV do you have?
About a five year old Panasonic plasma. Model is TH-58PZ700U.
post #1114 of 1136 Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have some questions about the Onkyo TX-NR616, this is currently the receiver we have in my condo's HT room. I have had Onkyo before (I'm a Denon fan) anyways I don't how how they "guys" set the receiver up but I always have some problems.

In your "Party Room" its divided into Lounge and HT Room, so Zone 1 (7.1) is HT and Zone 2 is the Lounge, but I can never get it to work properly. Does this receiver allow to play from multiple source?

Even sometimes when I want just to play music to the Lounge Z2.

Also when watching BR movies, isn't there an indication that the sound is True HD or DTS-HD?
post #1115 of 1136 Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have some questions about the Onkyo TX-NR616, this is currently the receiver we have in my condo's HT room. I have had Onkyo before (I'm a Denon fan) anyways I don't how how they "guys" set the receiver up but I always have some problems.

In your "Party Room" its divided into Lounge and HT Room, so Zone 1 (7.1) is HT and Zone 2 is the Lounge, but I can never get it to work properly. Does this receiver allow to play from multiple source?

Even sometimes when I want just to play music to the Lounge Z2.

Also when watching BR movies, isn't there an indication that the sound is True HD or DTS-HD?
post #1116 of 1136 Old 06-12-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First, get the Onkyo Remote 3 app for iPhone or Android - it is MUCH easier to control zone 2 and the sources (be aware that only ANALOG sources (for some stupid reason) can only be output to zone 2.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #1117 of 1136 Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

OK - I am flustered. My setup: Onkyo TX-NR616, Windows 7 Media Center, nVidia 750Ti. So, in Windows, I can set it to 7.1, and then test each individual channel separately fine, so I know the video card is outputting 7.1. But I have not been able to get surround sound from any TV channel or recorded TV show in Media Center! Some channels show PCM and some show Dolby (not sure what version). I have gone into the listening mode for PC (the HDMI input my HTPC is connected to) and NOTHING I pick gives me a peep out of anything except my subwoofer, center, and lt and rt front speakers! (Does it change immediately when you change it, so you have a live preview?)

Any ideas before I go crazy??

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #1118 of 1136 Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

So a question about powered Zone2 - why can't I get 7.1 on Zone1 UNTIL I turn on Zone2?? Why if I enable powered Zone2 does it NEVER let the rear channels work??

Mike
Houston Comcast

Last edited by mmatheny; 06-17-2015 at 11:21 AM.
post #1119 of 1136 Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I own a 616 and was wondering if people could help me figure out how to listen to music with just my two front speakers. I have a 7.1 configuration and all works fine, but when I stream a song from sirius or my phone, etc, I can't seem to find a audio setting that only outputs via the mains and sub. Heck, I can't even find a 2.1 setting when watching movies either but i don't need it for that so not so much of an issue. Anyone know what to press to just get a 2.1 for regular music, I prefer to not have enhancements, etc when listening to music as I don't like it to be processed.

Thanks in advance.
post #1120 of 1136 Old 11-29-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Just keep pressing the Music button on the remote to cycle through the modes. Eventually you'll find stereo which will be 2.1.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
post #1121 of 1136 Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the NR616 and a 3.0 setup that consists of 2 Definitive Tech SM350s and a Pro Center 2000. I also have a 12" sub that have yet to be hooked up, but for now I'd like to know the optimal setting for 3.0 (movies and tv shows only). I want it to sound as close to the original track as possible (minus surrounds that I don't have or want). I have a tight setup with minimal space for surrounds, plus these 3 speakers sound good enough for me atm, just need to know how to set it up so voices come out the center and the rest through the mains (pure as possible with multi channel tracks).

I figured that 'direct mode' would give me true-to-source sound, even with the surrounds disabled. However with 'direct mode' selected I get no sound coming from the center channel when playing back TrueHD tracks. The only sound I get watching something like The Walking Dead is from the front mains. When I select any other "listening mode" I get sound from all speakers, and so far my favorite is PLII. For some reason PLII Movie sounds the best for my 5.1 sources, but this mode is intended for 2.0 tracks correct? Am I molesting the sound by selecting PLII Movie with 5.1 tracks?

Anyway, I ran the audysee setup and really everything sounds fine but just need to know what's the preferred settings for various sources (2.0, 5.1) from blu-rays with ONLY MY 3 SPEAKERS. I assume I will use the same settings when i get the sub hooked up as well, no? If not, what then. Thanks very much for any help!
post #1122 of 1136 Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post
I have the NR616 and a 3.0 setup that consists of 2 Definitive Tech SM350s and a Pro Center 2000. I also have a 12" sub that have yet to be hooked up, but for now I'd like to know the optimal setting for 3.0 (movies and tv shows only). I want it to sound as close to the original track as possible (minus surrounds that I don't have or want). I have a tight setup with minimal space for surrounds, plus these 3 speakers sound good enough for me atm, just need to know how to set it up so voices come out the center and the rest through the mains (pure as possible with multi channel tracks).

I figured that 'direct mode' would give me true-to-source sound, even with the surrounds disabled. However with 'direct mode' selected I get no sound coming from the center channel when playing back TrueHD tracks. The only sound I get watching something like The Walking Dead is from the front mains. When I select any other "listening mode" I get sound from all speakers, and so far my favorite is PLII. For some reason PLII Movie sounds the best for my 5.1 sources, but this mode is intended for 2.0 tracks correct? Am I molesting the sound by selecting PLII Movie with 5.1 tracks?

Anyway, I ran the audysee setup and really everything sounds fine but just need to know what's the preferred settings for various sources (2.0, 5.1) from blu-rays with ONLY MY 3 SPEAKERS. I assume I will use the same settings when i get the sub hooked up as well, no? If not, what then. Thanks very much for any help!
Sounds like your Bluray player is down mixing TrueHD to 2 channel PCM. Double check the settings there.

post #1123 of 1136 Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that did the trick. I forgot to check that, and now it sounds like a dream! Next I need to know why my sub isn't working. It's brand new and have it hooked up via LFE input. I'm using a normal subwoofer cable from monoprice.com and have it turned on but no sound. What am I doing wrong?
post #1124 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well that did the trick. I forgot to check that, and now it sounds like a dream! Next I need to know why my sub isn't working. It's brand new and have it hooked up via LFE input. I'm using a normal subwoofer cable from monoprice.com and have it turned on but no sound. What am I doing wrong?
When you ran audyssey did you hear the sub? Make sure in the speaker settings the fronts are set to 80hz crossover as starting point.

post #1125 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I ran the audyssey and it picks up my front stage but not the sub. I have an Onkyo NR616 and have the cable running from the sub pre out to lfe input on the back of sub. Sub is switched to ON position, tried crossover at every frequency on the back of sub, have it switched to digital receiver, etc. I know that I manually set the fronts to 80hz after I ran audysee, and maybe that's my problem. I didn't set it BEFORE running audysee, but I'm pretty sure I've ran audysee like 3 times now so unless it keeps reseting then that's not it..but I'll check again. I'm thinking it's a bad cable, and I've heard from others that they've recieved bad sub cables from monoprice. I love their hdmi cables (bought 8 of them) but I ordered another one from amazon just to be sure (plus needed more length). I'll post back after doing what you say, in the meantime can you think of anything else?

Also, when I tap the cable on the connector I don't hear anything. Shouldn't I hear the sub pop by tapping the end of connector? or does that only apply to the other connection? When I plug the sub in I can hear a very faint thump from the sub..so guess the sub is okay? It's a Bic America F-12 sub.

Btw.. my definitive tech speakers rock! Changing the audio to 5.1 in my Dune Player's settings did the trick and now the TrueHD tracks sound amazing with good separation (even w/out surrounds). I was told though.. to use my other matching front as my center, as it's supposed to be superior to a dedicated center (in my case the Pro Center 2000). I bought the Pro Center 2000 for like $300 and want to get some use out of this thing, but I also have a spare pair of Studio Monitor 350s. I'm using a pair of those for the fronts, and can swap out the center for another SM350.. but psychologically I feel that the 2 5.25" drivers in the Pro Center is going to give me better voices then the SM350, although it does have an 8" passive radiator. The Pro Center also looks (and fits) better under my tv, but I can certainly change that if a 3rd SM350 is going to be obviously superior. What do you think? The reason I haven't done it is because it's kinduva hassle to switch out in my entertainment center.. again no biggie but do you really think it's going to offer better center for me?
post #1126 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I ran the audyssey and it picks up my front stage but not the sub. I have an Onkyo NR616 and have the cable running from the sub pre out to lfe input on the back of sub. Sub is switched to ON position, tried crossover at every frequency on the back of sub, have it switched to digital receiver, etc. I know that I manually set the fronts to 80hz after I ran audysee, and maybe that's my problem. I didn't set it BEFORE running audysee, but I'm pretty sure I've ran audysee like 3 times now so unless it keeps reseting then that's not it..but I'll check again. I'm thinking it's a bad cable, and I've heard from others that they've recieved bad sub cables from monoprice. I love their hdmi cables (bought 8 of them) but I ordered another one from amazon just to be sure (plus needed more length). I'll post back after doing what you say, in the meantime can you think of anything else?

Also, when I tap the cable on the connector I don't hear anything. Shouldn't I hear the sub pop by tapping the end of connector? or does that only apply to the other connection? When I plug the sub in I can hear a very faint thump from the sub..so guess the sub is okay? It's a Bic America F-12 sub.

Btw.. my definitive tech speakers rock! Changing the audio to 5.1 in my Dune Player's settings did the trick and now the TrueHD tracks sound amazing with good separation (even w/out surrounds). I was told though.. to use my other matching front as my center, as it's supposed to be superior to a dedicated center (in my case the Pro Center 2000). I bought the Pro Center 2000 for like $300 and want to get some use out of this thing, but I also have a spare pair of Studio Monitor 350s. I'm using a pair of those for the fronts, and can swap out the center for another SM350.. but psychologically I feel that the 2 5.25" drivers in the Pro Center is going to give me better voices then the SM350, although it does have an 8" passive radiator. The Pro Center also looks (and fits) better under my tv, but I can certainly change that if a 3rd SM350 is going to be obviously superior. What do you think? The reason I haven't done it is because it's kinduva hassle to switch out in my entertainment center.. again no biggie but do you really think it's going to offer better center for me?
So you could have either a bad sub output on the receiver or bad sub, more than likely bad sub. Or cable I guess.

As for the center channel, I'd go with the matching front. Horizontal center channels are for aesthetics only and 99% and suffer from issues, this one included. Is it night and day difference, depends on the listener I guess.
post #1127 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
As for the center channel, I'd go with the matching front. Horizontal center channels are for aesthetics only and 99% and suffer from issues, this one included. Is it night and day difference, depends on the listener I guess.
Okay I've been told that enough so I'm gonna swap it out. I'm going to need to put it directly under my tv as it will not fit in my center channel slot, but I'm thinking that's a good thing as the sound will be higher up (closer to ear). The other question I had is do I need to offset the SM350 so that the tweeter is in the middle? I sit directly in front of it and if I center the speaker the tweeter will be to the right by 10" or so.
post #1128 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay I've been told that enough so I'm gonna swap it out. I'm going to need to put it directly under my tv as it will not fit in my center channel slot, but I'm thinking that's a good thing as the sound will be higher up (closer to ear). The other question I had is do I need to offset the SM350 so that the tweeter is in the middle? I sit directly in front of it and if I center the speaker the tweeter will be to the right by 10" or so.
So you are saying the center is not directly between the two fronts but off to one side a bit? But you sit directly in front of it?

post #1129 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The tweeter is located at the top of the speaker, like most normal speakers. So when I flip it on it's side to place on the stand of my Kuro (directly under screen), the tweeter is about 1ft to the right. So I can scoot it to the left to have the tweeter in front of my face, I sit dead center. This is a dedicated setup that's mostly just me watching. I assume most dialogue comes from the tweeter itself? I'm not an expert so wanted to get an opinion on this. If it doesn't matter then I'll just leave it centered under the tv.

You were right as well. I swapped em out and sounds more seamless now. That's the last time I'll ever buy a dedicated center.
post #1130 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The tweeter is located at the top of the speaker, like most normal speakers. So when I flip it on it's side to place on the stand of my Kuro (directly under screen), the tweeter is about 1ft to the right. So I can scoot it to the left to have the tweeter in front of my face, I sit dead center. This is a dedicated setup that's mostly just me watching. I assume most dialogue comes from the tweeter itself? I'm not an expert so wanted to get an opinion on this. If it doesn't matter then I'll just leave it centered under the tv.

You were right as well. I swapped em out and sounds more seamless now. That's the last time I'll ever buy a dedicated center.
Ah yes, makes sense now. The OCD in me would rotate all speakers the same way and re run audyssey.

post #1131 of 1136 Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Question about audyssey too. I did re-run audyssey and this time it set my center to 70hz, instead of before at 80hz. But it also made another change..db from -4 to -3 (so slight increase of volume). I re-ran it 3 times and that's what it chooses now. All this time I had the center set to 80hz, because that's what it liked before (using the same PC2000 btw). Why would it change all of sudden?
post #1132 of 1136 Old 01-21-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question about audyssey too. I did re-run audyssey and this time it set my center to 70hz, instead of before at 80hz. But it also made another change..db from -4 to -3 (so slight increase of volume). I re-ran it 3 times and that's what it chooses now. All this time I had the center set to 80hz, because that's what it liked before (using the same PC2000 btw). Why would it change all of sudden?
Any slight change in speaker position, mic position or room layout will cause differences, just the nature of sound. Put your center back to 80hz and if dialog seems like bump it up a db or two.

post #1133 of 1136 Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Got it. I had shifted my setup slightly when doing all of this so it makes sense now. Man you've really helped me out this week, and have me enjoying everything now so much thanks!

Last question.. I swapped out the center so now am using all 3 Def Tech SM350s up front, and the 12" sub (which is in the corner of my room behind my seating area). Do you recommend a settings of 80hz for my fronts and center? I have the crossover on the sub turned all the way up.

Last edited by PathofNeo; 01-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #1134 of 1136 Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got it. I had shifted my setup slightly when doing all of this so it makes sense now. Man you've really helped me out this week, and have me enjoying everything now so much thanks!

Last question.. I swapped out the center so now am using all 3 Def Tech SM350s up front, and the 12" sub (which is in the corner of my room behind my seating area). Do you recommend a settings of 80hz for my fronts and center? I have the crossover on the sub turned all the way up.
80hz is reasonable. I wouldn't go lower, but you could try 100hz or even 120hz. If the bass starts sounding like it is coming from the corner or behind you then keep it at the lower setting.
post #1135 of 1136 Old 01-31-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I did think of another question concerning my NR616. I'm currently using "Through" under Monitor Out, because I assume that is what sends video unmolested to my display. Under 'Picture Mode' I have it set to Direct. In the manual it states this doesn't try to adjust anything. Do I have the right settings for both of those options? When using the Dune Player and start a new video, it gives a 'Resolution Error' message on the reciever. But it works as normal, and the picture comes in very good so no compaints there. Just wondering why it's giving me that message.

Last edited by PathofNeo; 01-31-2016 at 08:32 PM.
post #1136 of 1136 Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully someone here can help me out. I have the 616 and I have a LG 55LB7200-UB. I have a optical cable running from the 616 to the back of the TV. When I watch netflix directly through the TV I don't get any audio from the receiver. I know it works because when I first got the TV it worked fine, now nothing. I've gone in the 616 settings and changed the output from GAME to TV, but that doesn't fix anything. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread