Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 1115 Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 84
+1
cadett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 1115 Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Unfortunately, you must use an external amp to get the 818 to do all 9 channels. Sigh....we are going backwards with this stuff.

I got a feeling that the TX-NR1009 next year model will be a XT32 & that is a 9 amp AVR . those should show up late summer

but you could add this ..to a 818
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Amplifier&p=i
join the club onk they have refurb'ed ones very cheap


https://www.shoponkyo.com/products_1...s=1&group_id=1
use the amp for the mains

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #123 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Unfortunately, you must use an external amp to get the 818 to do all 9 channels. Sigh....we are going backwards with this stuff.

I don't think so. The 8-- model has always been a 7 channel receiver. The fact they are adding the possibility to make it 9 (like the 2100 Sony 5700ES) is progress. Just grab a two channel amp and you are at the same level as the current 3009.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is offline  
post #124 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Honestly, I believe most people who buy the 818 will already have dedicated amps or plan on buying them.

They best part about having dedicated amps that deliver their rated power is every receiver upgrade, there's no worry about their amp section. Most receivers out there only produce half of their rated power with all channels driven.

I am lucky to have 2 extra untapped channels just waiting for this receiver.

What I would love is if Onkyo came out with a firmware upgrade for the 818 to used 2 of their internal amps and their 9.2 pre-outs for a 11.2. But I doubt that will happen.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #125 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Honestly, I believe most people who buy the 818 will already have dedicated amps or plan on buying them.

They best part about having dedicated amps that deliver their rated power is every receiver upgrade, there's no worry about their amp section. Most receivers out there only produce half of their rated power with all channels driven.

I am lucky to have 2 extra untapped channels just waiting for this receiver.

What I would love is if Onkyo came out with a firmware upgrade for the 818 to used 2 of their internal amps and their 9.2 pre-outs for a 11.2. But I doubt that will happen.

Heck I wish they would do that for the 5008 or the 1009

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #126 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

What I would love is if Onkyo came out with a firmware upgrade for the 818 to used 2 of their internal amps and their 9.2 pre-outs for a 11.2. But I doubt that will happen.

I don't think this is possible. My guess is the chip(s) that produce the 9 discreet channels would need to be replaced by one(s) that can produce 11 discreet channels. I think the logic for this can't be upgraded via firmware.
KidHorn is offline  
post #127 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhorn View Post

i don't think this is possible. My guess is the chip(s) that produce the 9 discreet channels would need to be replaced by one(s) that can produce 11 discreet channels. I think the logic for this can't be upgraded via firmware.

+1

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #128 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I don't think this is possible. My guess is the chip(s) that produce the 9 discreet channels would need to be replaced by one(s) that can produce 11 discreet channels. I think the logic for this can't be upgraded via firmware.

True, but considering it does have the possessing ability to do wide, add high, it is possible it might be able to do both with a firmware update.

Now, the real question is, would onkyo do this or just wait for next years model or just higher end models.

Still keeping fingers crossed.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #129 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Vallhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Honestly, I believe most people who buy the 818 will already have dedicated amps or plan on buying them.

Why on earth do you belive that?. I belive that most ppl have 5.1/7.1 setup and the 818 is more than enough to this
Vallhall is offline  
post #130 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Member
 
bluestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@joerod,
Can the 818 bi-amp the main front L/R and still do front heights for 7.1? Or is is limited to 5.1 once you bi-amp?
bluestang is offline  
post #131 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The TX-NR616 has serious HDMI issues.

Either one of two things happen when powering on the AVR:

1. Video is there for 3 seconds, blanks to black, there for 3 seconds, repeat.
2. No video at all. AVR responds to HDMI-CEC from the TV, but no signal detected by the monitor.

Unplugging the 616 solves both these issues. These usually happen after leaving it off overnight.
rworne is offline  
post #132 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

The TX-NR616 has serious HDMI issues.

Either one of two things happen when powering on the AVR:

1. Video is there for 3 seconds, blanks to black, there for 3 seconds, repeat.
2. No video at all. AVR responds to HDMI-CEC from the TV, but no signal detected by the monitor.

Unplugging the 616 solves both these issues. These usually happen after leaving it off overnight.

there is a firmware that was just released for the 616 & the 515 (04-20-2012) Version ===> 1040-5104-0200


http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=263

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #133 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I got a feeling that the TX-NR1009 next year model will be a XT32 & that is a 9 amp AVR . those should show up late summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I don't think so. The 8-- model has always been a 7 channel receiver. The fact they are adding the possibility to make it 9 (like the 2100 Sony 5700ES) is progress. Just grab a two channel amp and you are at the same level as the current 3009.

I did not know the 8 series was always 7 channel...and a 1009 would be great. If I am going to buy an external amp, I might as well buy a 4311 and be able to do 11 channels.
cybrsage is offline  
post #134 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I did not know the 8 series was always 7 channel...and a 1009 would be great. If I am going to buy an external amp, I might as well buy a 4311 and be able to do 11 channels.

Yeah it'll be interesting when the newer 5010,3010 1010 models come out as they should be able to do 11 channels if they(Onkyo) want to make them a Value / High end item .
The new 818 Kinda under cuts them flagship models IF not ...........
Onkyo doesn't have any 11 channel AVR's

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #135 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


there is a firmware that was just released for the 616 & the 515 (04-20-2012) Version ===> 1040-5104-0200

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=263

I did that first thing after installing it. FW is up-to-date.
rworne is offline  
post #136 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

I did that first thing after installing it. FW is up-to-date.

send it back .. seems your still in the vendor re-turn policy window

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #137 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


send it back .. seems your still in the vendor re-turn policy window

Yup, no one else see these issues?
rworne is offline  
post #138 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallhall View Post

Why on earth do you belive that?. I belive that most ppl have 5.1/7.1 setup and the 818 is more than enough to this

It was just my opinion.

I just feel that most people don't spent $1,100 on a receiver, and just call it a day. Good enough.

Also, I believe that most people looking for a receiver that has XT32, NEO-X and 9.2 pre-outs have a dedicated theater or a dedicated family room. Not just some setup in the living room. Again, this is just my opinion and I said most, not all.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #139 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yeah it'll be interesting when the newer 5010,3010 1010 models come out as they should be able to do 11 channels if they(Onkyo) want to make them a Value / High end item .
The new 818 Kinda under cuts them flagship models IF not ...........
Onkyo doesn't have any 11 channel AVR's

The Denon only does 9, but it has the ability to do 11 with external amps. That is what I meant. I will hold off and see what the 1xxx brings to the table, any time frames?
cybrsage is offline  
post #140 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

It was just my opinion.

I just feel that most people don't spent $1,100 on a receiver, and just call it a day. Good enough.

Also, I believe that most people looking for a receiver that has XT32, NEO-X and 9.2 pre-outs have a dedicated theater or a dedicated family room. Not just some setup in the living room. Again, this is just my opinion and I said most, not all.

I do not want to have to buy amps to be able to run my soon to be 9.1 setup after buying a new avr.
cybrsage is offline  
post #141 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

The Denon only does 9, but it has the ability to do 11 with external amps. That is what I meant. I will hold off and see what the 1xxx brings to the table, any time frames?

if past history means anything , late summer/early fall

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #142 of 1115 Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjpearce023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang View Post

@joerod,
Can the 818 bi-amp the main front L/R and still do front heights for 7.1? Or is is limited to 5.1 once you bi-amp?

It only has 7 amp channels so there is no way you could biamp and run 7 channels. Since biamping is pretty much worthless I wouldn't worry about it and just run the 7 channels.
mjpearce023 is offline  
post #143 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Member
 
bluestang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^ Got it thanks...you would of thought I should have noticed that
bluestang is offline  
post #144 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

While having XT32 doesn't automatically mean you'll have SubEQ since this is a .2 receiver it will probably have SubEQ. SubEQ is how Audyssey measures delay and level for each sub and once that is done it's up to XT32 to set up the filters for the subs along with the other speakers.

ummm... subeq is an integral part of xt32...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #145 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
joehonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

While having XT32 doesn't automatically mean you'll have SubEQ since this is a .2 receiver it will probably have SubEQ. SubEQ is how Audyssey measures delay and level for each sub and once that is done it's up to XT32 to set up the filters for the subs along with the other speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

ummm... subeq is an integral part of xt32...

The panel of the 818 just labels SW, the highend onkyos are labeled SW1 and SW2.. But till the manual is posted we'll just keep guessing...
joehonest is offline  
post #146 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Member
 
blkz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just pre-ordered mine thru Amazon.

blkz06 is offline  
post #147 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
UNICRON-WMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkz06 View Post

I just pre-ordered mine thru Amazon.


Congratz on the pre-order! I just with they had a estimate on when it will be in stock.

So are going to be running full 9.2 or 7.2 for right now?

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
UNICRON-WMD is offline  
post #148 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
domingos38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkz06 View Post

I just pre-ordered mine thru Amazon.


so did i

domingos38 is offline  
post #149 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Member
 
blkz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Congratz on the pre-order! I just with they had a estimate on when it will be in stock.

So are going to be running full 9.2 or 7.2 for right now?

Just 7.2 for now.

I was on the fence between the Onkyo and Denon..decided to go with Onkyo based on this thread and some other feedback off the forum.

Should be pretty cool.
blkz06 is offline  
post #150 of 1115 Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
rworne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just got the RMA for the 616, it goes back tomorrow. After if goes back I'm just going to upgrade it to the 818 which seems to be the best bang-for-buck sweet spot. I ordered the 616 and the replacement from that well-known Montana-based company.

Just for the record, here's what the 616 was doing:
1. Strong electronic smell for several hours of operation
2. HDMI signal does not work properly after shutting down for a few hours. Either no signal or blinks. Even the AVR generated menus blink. Pulling the plug fixes it.
3. Input always switches to FM radio after cold or warm start.
rworne is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off