Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Don't know if anyone has noticed but at the Amazon product page for the 818 there appear to be some new video clips up showing off the features, which include some interesting new nuggets, such as the fact that the AVR can control an AppleTV natively with its own remote control and with no additional programming of the unit.

It would appear that release of this AVR is imminent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Buying an Apple iPod dock and using the USB cable is cheaper and works better than the older Onkyo iPod dock. The lack of HD radio is a bummer though.

The rest of the 2012 lineup (TX-NR1010,3010,5010) also drop the universal port. I don't know if they include HD Radio.

Now that's interesting to know. I remember the first year models of the NRxxx6 was it? had HD radio built in, then the second year, they went to the U port and made it optional. I like the idea of having HD radio, so unless it's built-in again, which would be awesome, I'm probably going to have to buy an NR3009 or NR5009 to use it and still have XT32/subEQ.

Yeah USB is cheaper and easier, and honestly I don't own anything by Apple anyway. It was the HD radio I wanted. I just wanted to note that the U port is gone, apparently.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #243 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:

The rest of the 2012 lineup (TX-NR1010,3010,5010) also drop the universal port. I don't know if they include HD Radio.

Do you have a link for the features of the 1010, 3010 and 5010?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #244 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Do you have a link for the features of the 1010, 3010 and 5010?

Bill

I mentiond them earlier. I do app development (I compete with Onkyo's iOS offering) and routinely inspect their app for interesting bits of info. I can only glean limited info, such as model number, number of zones, input sources and network sources.

Nothing about the internals of the unit (wattage, speaker layout, etc.)
post #245 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
I have a question, I've been keeping up with this thread. I've looked at the back of the 818 and, I think it was the 809 and they looked almost the same. A couple of inputs were labeled a little different, but almost all the same. So, my question is, what are you guys talking about on the 818 not having the multi channel inputs? The outputs are for separate amps, is that correct?
I,m interested in the 818, so I'm curious. What would you use the MC inputs for? Like another guy posted, I'll wait to hear back from the brave men who pre-ordered there 818!
Thanks
post #246 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM

Oh, I did forget, the 809 had the circle jacks on it. Is that what they are?
post #247 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblev View Post

I,m interested in the 818, so I'm curious. What would you use the MC inputs for? Like another guy posted, I'll wait to hear back from the brave men who pre-ordered there 818!
Thanks

It's a pretty safe bet. I own quite a few receivers (have to buy a new one every year) and they all worked well enough except for the 616 I just sent back.

I have no issues with the 2012 models except for the styling. I've gone on record before stating I think they are ugly back when the 2011 models that share the same styling came out. I much prefer the look of the 807 over that of the 818.

I also had issues with the build quality of the case as well (lightweight and cheap), but I was comparing a 609 to the 807 or 708. Not exactly apples-to-apples. Now the 609 itself was a pretty solid unit once they fixed some firmware issues. But this applies with every model year.
post #248 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:

Buying an Apple iPod dock and using the USB cable is cheaper and works better than the older Onkyo iPod dock. The lack of HD radio is a bummer though.

is there not a USB satellite radio tuner/antenna made ??

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #249 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:

I have a question, I've been keeping up with this thread. I've looked at the back of the 818 and, I think it was the 809 and they looked almost the same. A couple of inputs were labeled a little different, but almost all the same. So, my question is, what are you guys talking about on the 818 not having the multi channel inputs? The outputs are for separate amps, is that correct?
Thanks

The MCH analog input can be used if one has an older Universal (SACD/DVD-A) DVD player without HDMI. I have an Oppo 83SE that has better DACs than my Onkyo 886 so I use the MCH output of my 83SE to the MCH analog input of my 886 for MCH music. With all bluray/universal players having HDMI the use of the MCH input is not as an important feature for lower to mid level AVRs anymore. Although if my next AVR/prepro has XT32 then I will most likely use HDMI at all times for MCH music to take advantage of XT32.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #250 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks

The multi ch analog inputs are for plugging in something like a bluray player/sacd player. This way you let the BD/SACD player decode the audio and let it send the audio stream to the receiver. When you use HDMI, the player just passes the audio and the receiver decodes it. The good thing about the receiver decoding the signal is that allows the receiver to add room correction. If you just use the analog inputs then that will disable audyssey because the receiver is not doing anything. There is also something called DSD that has to do with SACD but I'm not familiar enough with it to comment on it. You are correct about the preamp outputs as they are just used to add an external amp.

EDIT: sorry for the repeat post I didn't see Bill's before I started mine.
post #251 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

There was a small DIN port on previous models for Sirius radio add-ons. Sort of useless now that there is a SiriusXM network channel.
post #252 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks, I think I'm almost there!
I just looked at the back of the 818 and it has audio/video in. My older Panasonic DVD player would connect there through RCA jacks. So what does the MCH jacks look like that were taken off of this model?
post #253 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

my question is, what are you guys talking about on the 818 not having the multi channel inputs?
Thanks

two features the 809 has that the 818 does not:
1. multi-channel analog INputs, which are for, as already mentioned, connecting a SACD or DVD-A player that does not have HDMI. It's the 7.1 channel analog RCA inputs seen on the back of the NR809. Don't confuse these with the "pre-outs" that are for connecting separate amplifiers, which both models do have.

Quote:

Not Sat radio, sir. HD radio. apples and oranges. I don't have to pay a subscription fee for HD radio. HD radi, I'm sure you alrady know, to my understanding, broadcasts in digital, and decodes the signal to analog at the receiver end instead of conventional FM radio sending an analog signal converted at the head end.

Maybe there is an HD radio tuner for USB, I never looked, but if I already own the U port model, why be forced to buy a new tuner?

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #254 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

There was a small DIN port on previous models for Sirius radio add-ons. Sort of useless now that there is a SiriusXM network channel.

Again, confusing HD radio and Sirius/XM satellite radio.
Both models still have the Sat radio tuner port (looks like an old serial or VGA port) but the HD radio tuner used the Universal Port (longer two row port, more like an old PC parallel port)

Quote:

Thanks, I think I'm almost there!
I just looked at the back of the 818 and it has audio/video in. My older Panasonic DVD player would connect there through RCA jacks. So what does the MCH jacks look like that were taken off of this model?

Analog RCA ports are typically for L+R stereo. multi-channel inputs allow for input of 8 channels (7.1) so it's the set of 8 RCA inputs on the back of the AV receiver. Some higher model DVD, SACD, etc players offer these outputs on the back. My Panasonic DMP-BD55K BD player has them, while my lower model BD35K does not.

Remember, optical/digital coaxial audio is typically 5.1 channels max, and compressed audio. HDMI and analog multi-channel inputs are the only way to get full, uncompressed 7.1 channel discrete audio, of which I'm aware. (not counting stuff like DisplayPort, which is just HDMI with a new connector)

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #255 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM

[It's the 7.1 channel analog RCA inputs seen on the back of the NR809]

I looked at the back of the 809 and see what your talking about. Now I got it!
Thanks guys.
Personally, I hope to be all HDMI here in the near future and eliminate lots of clutter.
post #256 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Again, confusing HD radio and Sirius/XM satellite radio.
Both models still have the Sat radio tuner port (looks like an old serial or VGA port) but the HD radio tuner used the Universal Port (longer two row port, more like an old PC parallel port)

I'm not confusing the two, I'm responding to the question of a USB sat tuner for the Onkyo and pointed to the sat radio port. I know quite well what accessories are/were available for Onkyo AVR's.
post #257 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not Sat radio, sir. HD radio. apples and oranges. I don't have to pay a subscription fee for HD radio. HD radi, I'm sure you alrady know, to my understanding, broadcasts in digital, and decodes the signal to analog at the receiver end instead of conventional FM radio sending an analog signal converted at the head end.

2 minute google search got me this .. pricey but it is there .. there would/might be more out there .

http://store.moxa.com/a/product/upor...d=M20090317005

Mike

post #258 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM

New topic,
I'm new here so I won't say prices, but I've been looking on audiogon, where I actually just bought a Vandersteen VVC1 center to match my 2Ce sig. Anyway, I'm looking for a receiver and there is a particular seller, selling lots of Onkyo. He actually has the 818, and it appears to be a package deal. But also has the 3009 for good price and could of had it for even $100 less than what he's asking for now.
All of his product is new and factory sealed.
post #259 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

New topic,
I'm new here so I won't say prices, but I've been looking on audiogon, where I actually just bought a Vandersteen VVC1 center to match my 2Ce sig. Anyway, I'm looking for a receiver and there is a particular seller, selling lots of Onkyo. He actually has the 818, and it appears to be a package deal. But also has the 3009 for good price and could of had it for even $100 less than what he's asking for now.
All of his product is new and factory sealed.

be careful !!
If he is NOT a factory Authorized reseller then any Onkyo Warranty is useless . Don't fall for a outside warranty either as those don't start till the Onkyo warranty time period is over.
I know a guy who bought a 5008 off Ebay With a SquareTrade warranty & when the 5008 failed they would NOT cover it (Onkyo) & THEN SquareTrade said they would only cover it until 2 years had passed .(this guy posted this on the 5008 thread)
BE Careful ............
He was pooched Big Time !

Mike

post #260 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM

I'd have to look into that. I know I've talked to amazon sellers and they all say, sure we have the warranty. Not sure I would even purchase that way.
mostly even at the prices they are offering, it is still more than I want to pay.
post #261 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd have to look into that. I know I've talked to amazon sellers and they all say, sure we have the warranty. Not sure I would even purchase that way.
mostly even at the prices they are offering, it is still more than I want to pay.

the only way for sure is to go to the Onkyo USA web site & look @ the Authorized Dealer list , if they are not on that list assume that there is no Warranty at all on the units you are offered .

Mike

post #262 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Well, it's not always as simple as "you bought from an unauthorized dealer so you have no warranty". Some states/countries have very strict laws about what a manufacturer can and can't deny for warranty coverage, regardless of where an item was purchased.

The only reason that this is even an issue is because of manufacturers selling their products in multiple markets at different prices (with resulting "gray market" products spilling into the more expensive territories), factory "over runs" which are sold on the side, etc.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I feel no pity for manufacturers when they have to cover something like this under warranty, it's their job to police resellers and distributors, not the job of the consumer making a purchase.
post #263 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Well, it's not always as simple as "you bought from an unauthorized dealer so you have no warranty". Some states/countries have very strict laws about what a manufacturer can and can't deny for warranty coverage, regardless of where an item was purchased.

The only reason that this is even an issue is because of manufacturers selling their products in multiple markets at different prices (with resulting "gray market" products spilling into the more expensive territories), factory "over runs" which are sold on the side, etc.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I feel no pity for manufacturers when they have to cover something like this under warranty, it's their job to police resellers and distributors, not the job of the consumer making a purchase.

That's easy to say when it's not you involved ......
Not everyone has a the resources to hire a lawyer over a $1K AVR .
I'm not trying to start a argument on this issue .....

I'm just saying proceed with caution when buying on Ebay & Audiogon like sites .

Mike

post #264 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:

2 minute google search got me this .. pricey but it is there .. there would/might be more out there .

http://store.moxa.com/a/product/upor...d=M20090317005

So with this device we get back the universal port which is deleted from the 818 and can add an HD radio?? Is it this true

Also noted the 818 deletes the Pure audio mode, but keeps direct mode. 809 had both.

post #265 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Analog RCA ports are typically for L+R stereo. multi-channel inputs allow for input of 8 channels (7.1) so it's the set of 8 RCA inputs on the back of the AV receiver. Some higher model DVD, SACD, etc players offer these outputs on the back. My Panasonic DMP-BD55K BD player has them, while my lower model BD35K does not.

Remember, optical/digital coaxial audio is typically 5.1 channels max, and compressed audio. HDMI and analog multi-channel inputs are the only way to get full, uncompressed 7.1 channel discrete audio, of which I'm aware. (not counting stuff like DisplayPort, which is just HDMI with a new connector)

I looked at some BDP's and saw that some have 7.1 outputs. Also HDMI. So, if they have HDMI, really you don't need analog outs, true? Also, looking, Oppo seemed to have one that has 32bit DAC's. Would you run it through the outs if your AVR only had 24 bit DAC's or would HDMI cover that also?
post #266 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post

So with this device we get back the universal port which is deleted from the 818 and can add an HD radio?? Is it this true

Also noted the 818 deletes the Pure audio mode, but keeps direct mode. 809 had both.

I don't see how an RS-232 port (and an expensive one at that) would give HDRadio capability. The Onkyo only talks to USB storage (or an iOS device), the USB WiFi adapter, and the future Bluetooth Dongle. There's also MHL, but that's for media playback also. I've also seen rumblings of a Wireless Subwoofer too.

You can buy a separate HD Radio tuner, but that would just be an additional component. One example would be the Sony XDRF1HD. It hooks up no different than a CD player and has its own remote. It does not integrate with the receiver at all.
post #267 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I looked at some BDP's and saw that some have 7.1 outputs. Also HDMI. So, if they have HDMI, really you don't need analog outs, true? Also, looking, Oppo seemed to have one that has 32bit DAC's. Would you run it through the outs if your AVR only had 24 bit DAC's or would HDMI cover that also?

Some BDPs offer the analog outputs in case you have an older non HDMI receiver (I have several) but still want 7.1 output to the AVR. It's just for compatibility (backward)

If you have HDMI, that would bypass the DACs, thus using the DACs in your AVR, so yes if you wanted to use the BDPs's DACs, you'd want to use the analog multi-channel cables.. although I will say using those makes for a mess of cables.. haha

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #268 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post

This I really don't know. I believe the U port allows the AVR to control the HD tuner, so your station selection and preset memory is all done via the AVR. I don't see how the USB adapter could allow for that function.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #269 of 1115 Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

It's unlikely that you would hear any difference between the dacs. Also you would lose out on XT32 so I would just use hdmi and not worry about it.
post #270 of 1115 Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 13
I purchased an Onkyo 616 the other day and installed it with my current setup (projector, etc). It worked fine. The next day I swapped out the old HC-4900 projector for an Epson 8350.

I was greeted with "no signal" on everything I tried. At first I thought it might be a cable issue, but the 616 wouldn't output anything via HDMI to ANY monitor. After finding a post about this sleep bug, I pulled the plug and voila, it began working again.

I'm on the latest firmware. Is this fixable? I really like the receiver and features, but I can't deal with this issue.

Epson 8350 1080p ..:.. 124" WilsonArt DW screen
Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver
Lenovo HTPC ..:.. 1TB storage InfiniTV4 tuner
Xbox 360s extender, PS3 Blu-Ray player
Controlled by a Harmony One remote
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page