AVS Forum banner

Onkyo New AVR's TX-NR818,717,616 official Discussion [No Price Talk]Thread

181K views 1K replies 227 participants last post by  koojo 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 /forum/post/21855072

This awesome news, XT32 at a lower price point. Apart from the amp section the new 818 is now equal to my 3009.

Yup !!

Onkyo is gonna sell a huge amount of these ..

that also means the coming TX-NR1010 will have XT32 as well .

Who will need a pricey Pre/Pro then..................
............. L O L !

#5 ·
the Onk site lists the MSRP soo about that alittle less .. great deal with all those features

the XT32 is a huge feature !

the 818 has 11 speaker terminals & has 9 plus 2 sub Pre-outs as well ..but it's only listed as a 7.2 AVR

I wonder if you can "run" a 9.2 systems off amps & it appears that it does , used as Pre/Pro this is great value over say a Onk 3009 or 5009 or even the 5509 Pre/Pro

it say it has NEO-X soo that is 9 channels of wides & heights . Hmmmmm

#6 ·
Gonna have to sell my 809 which has worked great, and it sounds so damn nice too. I want that XT32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21855464

the Onk site lists the MSRP soo about that alittle less .. great deal with all those features

the XT32 is a huge feature !

the 818 has 11 speaker terminals & has 9 plus 2 sub Pre-outs as well ..but it's only listed as a 7.2 AVR

I wonder if you can "run" a 9.2 systems off amps & it appears that it does , used as Pre/Pro this is great value over say a Onk 3009 or 5009 or even the 5509 Pre/Pro

it say it has NEO-X soo that is 9 channels of wides & heights . Hmmmmm

#7 ·
Sweet! I've been hoping for a less expensive receiver with XT32. The 818 sounds like a great option.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/21866561

They might as well just scratch the 717 since I don't see anybody spending that much for a receiver with 2EQ.

I completely agree. I've been waiting on the sidelines to see what Onkyo was going to release. It seems like they have made the decision that video upscaling is more important than the higher level audyssey. I think that is a mistake. The only thing I see 1080p upscaling is good for is a Wii. All of my other content is either already HD or I can transcode it to HD if I need/want to. 4K resolution is a complete waste of time IMO. By the time that 4K TVs are affordable I'll be ready to replace my receiver as well. I can't escape the fact that the receiver only has 2EQ. I'm likely going to be purchasing a Denon AVR-2112CI now.

#11 ·
The 818 seems like a great deal except it seems to be the replacement for the 1009 instead of the 809. When viewed that way, it's not a huge improvement.

I wouldn't pay $1,000 for an 818, which seems like what the street price will be. At least until the fall. Maybe when it gets to $850 or so, i'll be tempted.

#12 ·
I would assume that when they release the 1009 replacement then it too will have XT32 as well as that is true 9.2 AVR .The 818 looks to do 9.2 as a pre/pro only OR using a stand alone 2 channel external amp .

The interesting thing about the coming 1009 replacement is it's makes for a very inexpensive Pre/Pro to the likes of the 3009,5009,SC5509 flagship line @ a fraction of the costs

#13 ·
Hello,

I cannot believe the 717's MSRP is $999 and is downgraded from MultEQ XT to 2EQ. This is a major downgrade from the 709. The 818 should sell like hotcakes and it is hard to believe for only $100 more, you get XT32/SubEQ HT. The only thing I am not pleased about with the 818 is the deletion of the Multichannel Inputs that the 809 and previous 800 Series offered.

Cheers,

AD

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/21866795

Hello,

I cannot believe the 717's MSRP is $999 and is downgraded from MultEQ XT to 2EQ. This is a major downgrade from the 709. The 818 should sell like hotcakes and it is hard to believe for only $100 more, you get XT32/SubEQ HT. The only thing I am not pleased about with the 818 is the deletion of the Multichannel Inputs that the 809 and previous 800 Series offered.

Cheers,

AD

Onkyo is removing a lot of the connections to reduce costs ,I'm not saying that is good thing for those who have older gear, but is just how the market is

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 /forum/post/21866708

I completely agree. I've been waiting on the sidelines to see what Onkyo was going to release. It seems like they have made the decision that video upscaling is more important than the higher level audyssey. I think that is a mistake. The only thing I see 1080p upscaling is good for is a Wii. All of my other content is either already HD or I can transcode it to HD if I need/want to. 4K resolution is a complete waste of time IMO. By the time that 4K TVs are affordable I'll be ready to replace my receiver as well. I can't escape the fact that the receiver only has 2EQ. I'm likely going to be purchasing a Denon AVR-2112CI now.

I argee, 4k is a waste for 99% of people. I don't even see the point in 4k tvs unless you are going to sit 4 feet from an 80". I only see it really being helpful for big time projection systems so people can go with huge screens at a short distance. I think the 818 will canabalize the 717 and I doubt they will sell at all. They should have MultEQ on the 616 and XT on the 717. My brother asked me for a recomendation on a new receiver last year and I told him to go with 2112. He loves it and after I ran Audyssey it really sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/21866736

The 818 seems like a great deal except it seems to be the replacement for the 1009 instead of the 809. When viewed that way, it's not a huge improvement.

I wouldn't pay $1,000 for an 818, which seems like what the street price will be. At least until the fall. Maybe when it gets to $850 or so, i'll be tempted.

I am hoping the 818 will sell for a similar price of the 809. I would love to snatch one up in couple of months for under 700.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21866851

Onkyo is removing a lot of the connections to reduce costs ,I'm not saying that is good thing for those who have older gear, but is just how the market is

Hello,

I do get the removal of the MCH Inputs, but for the 717 to degrade to 2EQ whilst costing $1000 is insane. While only the 705 and 709 offered MultEQ XT, the 706, 707, and 708 at least offered MultEQ. For an Audyssey equipped AVR to cost that much and provide no EQ on the Subwoofer Channel is pretty shocking and disappointing to me.

Prior, I have always though the 700 Series was a very flexible platform should a person decide to upgrade their HT with Preamp Outputs, THX Post Processing and Audyssey MultEQ all at a very attractive pricepoint.

Cheers,

AD

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/21867431

Hello,

I do get the removal of the MCH Inputs, but for the 717 to degrade to 2EQ whilst costing $1000 is insane. While only the 705 and 709 offered MultEQ XT, the 706, 707, and 708 at least offered MultEQ. For an Audyssey equipped AVR to cost that much and provide no EQ on the Subwoofer Channel is pretty shocking and disappointing to me.

Prior, I have always though the 700 Series was a very flexible platform should a person decide to upgrade their HT with Preamp Outputs, THX Post Processing and Audyssey MultEQ all at a very attractive pricepoint.

Cheers,

AD

I fully agree with you on that ! I had a 707 as well but it was not a NR model had no networking at all . & I sold it due to that .

with what the differences are between the 818 & a 717 are huge

the 717 is WAY over priced by a long shot to say the least

#18 ·
as I have owed a 606, a 707, still own a 807 , still own a 5008 , & just bought a 1009 , I can say that the Video processing has greatly improved with each new model year . the most recent 1009, the PQ is stunning !

I must note that I use the processing to up scale & clean up a DirecTV HD signal feed in to 80" Sharp display & a 46" bedroom Sharp as well

#21 ·
Hello,

I would be surprised if the 3000 and 5000 Series went away as they are in a category of 2 when it comes to THX Ultra2 Plus AVR's priced below 3K and new Ultra2 Plus AVR's in general. Granted, the $5500 AVR-5308CI has a new lease on life thanks to the available upgrade to XT32/SubEQ HT and 3D, but Denon is not making these upgrades to current and future 5308's on the production line and will always be a owner option. Pretty surprising considering the price.

AD

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/21875379

Does anyone know if on the 818, a 12v trigger can be used for an external amp driving the pre-outs?

From reading the specs, it looks like it's only setup for zones 2 and 3 and not zone 1.

yes the Onkyo can be as a trigger by the zone 3 setting.

just set zone 3 to source & when you turn on the zone 3 it then triggers the external amps

my 5008 & 1009 both work that way with my 2 Emotiva UPA-7 & UPA-2

You can even piggy back / daisy chain the external amps as well .

what you can't do is run them as a trigger & a Zone 3 speakers @ the same time .It's one or the other .

which is why the 818 is really a great inexpensive way to have a Pre/Pro.

if set-up right it will do every thing the expensive Onkyo Pre/Pro SC5509 will do .

with the unit set-up as pre/pro, The 9 pre-outs ( plus the 2 Sub pre-outs ) can & will do 9.2

I can easliy start my 2 Emo's on the remote by selecting zone 3 on & then hit receiver on & the Onkyo starts as well . turns off by repeating that order in reverse

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21875464

yes the Onkyo can be as a trigger by the zone 3 setting.

just set zone 3 to source & when you turn on the zone 3 it then triggers the external amps

my 5008 & 1009 both work that way with my 2 Emotiva UPA-7 & UPA-2

You can even piggy back / daisy chain the external amps as well .

what you can't do is run them as a trigger & a Zone 3 speakers @ the same time .It's one or the other .

which is why the 818 is really a great inexpensive way to have a Pre/Pro.

if set-up right it will do every thing the expensive Onkyo Pre/Pro SC5509 will do .

with the unit set-up as pre/pro, The 9 pre-outs ( plus the 2 Sub pre-outs ) can & will do 9.2

I can easliy start my 2 Emo's on the remote by selecting zone 3 on & then hit receiver on & the Onkyo starts as well . turns off by repeating that order in reverse

If I use a 5 channel external amp in a 9.2 setup with front heights, am I forced to use the external amp on particular channels? Or can I pick any 5 I want and let the receiver handle the other 4?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/21876052

If I use a 5 channel external amp in a 9.2 setup with front heights, am I forced to use the external amp on particular channels? Or can I pick any 5 I want and let the receiver handle the other 4?

looking @ the back panel I think the heights &/or wides are the extra outs

so those two would have to be on the external amp .

which is good as the wides should be close to the size of the mains ,

so you could run wides =>mains=> center =>off the 5 channel amp & the rest Hights/backs, surrounds, off the Onkyo

that's how i was doing it (though 7 channels) till I got the UPA-2

#26 ·
Why is everyone so down on the 717? I don't understand why this is such a bad buy. Can someone please list all the reasons why the 717 is so bad?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.