Ideas & Suggestions on my proposed system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. Im kinda new to learning about amps and just wanted a second opinion on the system I will be installing in the next month. I have a good friend that this in the audio/visual business that has strongly recommended a system to me (and given us a very decent discount off MSRP). We are just drywalling our basement now so we will be putting the entertainment system in in the next 2 months. So far we are looking at getting the below. Any advice would be appreicated.

Video
Epson Pro 6010 Projector
106" dropdown motorized screen (high contrast screen)
Marantz SR7005 Home Theater Receiver

Audio
Marantz MM7025 Front 2 Channel Amp
Marantz MM7055 Surround 5 Channel Amp
Monitor Gold GX200 Front tower speakers (2)
Monitor Gold GX150 Center speaker
Monitor Gold GXFX Side speakers (2)
Monitor Gold GXW15 Subwoofer
Monitor C380X In ceiling rear speakers (2)
Center high speakers also prewired (9.1 optional)

Other Items
Marantz UD7006 Blue-ray player
Panamax M5300PM Rack Line Conditioner
Shaw Satelite 630 Receiver
WII
Apple TV (generation 1)
LG Computer TV connection

Remote System
RTI RF Advanced Processor XP6 (RF/Zigbee)
RTI Color Remote (T2CS)
Ipad control APP
Multi Location dimmers (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 PM
XJ6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

This is just something to consider and I have nothing against Marantz or Monitor Audio. The amp+receiver+bluray player do not have to be of the same brand. Have you checked out the Oppo-93, 95 or something else from another brand? On the speakers, there are good reasons to have them coming from the same make, especially the front three. But the sub can be from another make, too. So, for those two combos you don't have to, but you can certainly mix and match.

BTW, your 'simple' question encompasses so many different aspects of home theater. I think it's going to hard to get specific responses on the makes/models that have been suggested to you. There are owner/support threads on them that you can scan through to get a better feel for what you're looking at buying.

Cheers,
post #3 of 3 Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think you will be very happy with the system as described, especially having a friend in the biz floating a sweet $. You didn't want to leave this thread w/o some 'constructive' input though, did you?
Just some thoughts in no particular order:
· I agree with XJ6, look at Oppo, either their BDP-95 or BDP-93, with the DAC's in the AVR / Pre - Pro you are looking at, you could save $500 and go with the 93 (you would not necessarily need the DAC's in the 95). I own a 95, I have an old processor, and it lives up to its rave reviews. Don't worry, the Marantz Blu-ray player is also an excellent unit.
· I see you are buying amps from Marantz, have you considered the Marantz AV7005 AV Preamp/Processor instead of their SA7005 Receiver? I think long term you might be happier with the sound & video. I do not want to start an argument, there are strong valid arguments either way, this is mine
· Do you have options on your choice of the Panamax M5300PM? What is your electrical situation? Do you have your system on a dedicated circuit(s)? Since you are still in construction, I would make sure you have your theater on dedicated circuit(s). Clean power can have significant impact on your system. I guess I am saying not to take this aspect of your system lightly.
· Cables? Another topic with a plethora of arguments. Do some research, you will see.
You are very fortunate to be in the situation to build a system from the ground up, have fun.

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page