Denon Owners - is airplay worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a basement home theater and would like to get a Denon receiver. The decision is really between the 1712 and 2112ci. I am hung up on airplay. Is it worth it? Does it work? Any Denon owners loving airplay? I can read reviews all day but I would really like to hear some firsthand experience on this forum from Denon owners.

I would like to be able to play music on my deck in my background and control it from my iphone 4 or Toshiba Thrive android tablet.

I was thinking about setting up my 2112ci to output to speakers on my deck as zone 2.

There seems to be a lot of negative talk about Denon's implementation of airplay on the 2112ci.

I don't want to spend additional money on Apple TVs, etc

I keep thinking that I should just pick up the 1712, get something like this for the deck, and call it a day:

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/a...s-speaker.html

I really don't want to wait for the xx13 series. On the other hand, I am not sure what I am going to do if a really good deal on a 2112ci comes along in the next few weeks (in view of the xx13 series coming out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got a 1912 and I absolutely love the networking features. The only reason i got it over the 1712 was that they were the same price at Crutchfield so I went ahead and got the higher end model even though it has a lesser version of Audyssey on it. Coming from an older AVR that didn't have Audyssey at all I can say the sound improvement is huge and like I said, I love the networking. I haven't messed with airplay but I've been using the internet radio and pandora alot and I also like the ability to control the receiver from my android phone. Once I figure out how to use the media servers on my computer I'll be in heaven.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive View Post

I just got a 1912 and I absolutely love the networking features. The only reason i got it over the 1712 was that they were the same price at Crutchfield so I went ahead and got the higher end model even though it has a lesser version of Audyssey on it. Coming from an older AVR that didn't have Audyssey at all I can say the sound improvement is huge and like I said, I love the networking. I haven't messed with airplay but I've been using the internet radio and pandora alot and I also like the ability to control the receiver from my android phone. Once I figure out how to use the media servers on my computer I'll be in heaven.

I am aware of that deal today on Crutchfield. I didn't jump in because I am holding out for Audyssey MultiEQ XT. With the switchover to the next xx13 model, I think prices are going to come down quite a bit anyway.

However, you have somewhat convinced me that I should be looking at either the 2112ci or its equivalent in the xx13 series. Still, my question about airplay stands.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

I would like to be able to play music on my deck in my background and control it from my iphone 4 or Toshiba Thrive android tablet.

If that's what you want to do you're gonna need Airplay, especially if you have no desire to get Apple TV.

Be warned you cannot use Airplay in Zone2 while having another source playing in the main area. Airplay only works on the Denons when the main zone and zone 2 are the same source.

If you want to use Airplay in Zone 2 while watching something else in the main area then get one of the Pioneer receivers like the VSX-1021 or 1121.

Afro GT
post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I should say that after I posted that I played with it some more and got the denon installed on the network and the media server works great. It's a clumsy, laggy interface but once I get to what I want to play it streams better than my tivohd ever did and it also plays .wma files too.

I found the web interface today to the receiver and it opens up some good possibilities for play. It's interesting to be adjusting things while you're at the pc.

I was also out by the grill earlier and used my phone to turn on zone 2 with the internet radio playing on it while my wife was inside watching tv. Features were a little limited on the android remote but I was able to turn it on and adjust the volume sitting in my chair watching the grill.

I don't have an i-anything so I still can't comment on the airplay but I thought I'd expand a little on my comments earlier.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page