Official Marantz NR1602 Owner and Buyer Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 220 Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Try connecting an optical cable from the TV to the AVR instead ... far fewer headaches than ARC as well as possibly better quality audio as many HDMI(ARC) TV's can only pass stereo 2.0 while the optical can pass DD 5.1.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 220 Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try connecting an optical cable from the TV to the AVR instead ... far fewer headaches than ARC as well as possibly better quality audio as many HDMI(ARC) TV's can only pass stereo 2.0 while the optical can pass DD 5.1.

Connected the optical cable from the TV to the NR1602 and cannot get sound. Have set the TV input to OPT. Should I be doing something else?
post #183 of 220 Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM
585-645-1006

The TV should be set to "external speakers" or "home theater" in addition to setting Anynet+ to OFF as you won't be using ARC with the optical configuration. The optical input on the 1602 defaults to TV already.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #184 of 220 Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:

The TV should be set to "external speakers" or "home theater" in addition to setting Anynet+ to OFF as you won't be using ARC with the optical configuration. The optical input on the 1602 defaults to TV already.

Have tried this - no joy.

It could be the cable. I only have one and it will be a few days before I get get another.
post #185 of 220 Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 AM
585-645-1006

Test it by connecting to another device (eg. cable/sat box, DVD player, Blu Ray player, PS3, Xbox, etc.).

post #186 of 220 Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Test it by connecting to another device (eg. cable/sat box, DVD player, Blu Ray player, PS3, Xbox, etc.).

Turned out to be the cable.
post #187 of 220 Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Anyone get the pause button to work when playing a media server?
post #188 of 220 Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galager View Post

Anyone get the pause button to work when playing a media server?

Perhaps the Marantz Learning Remote only interacts with your media server in a limited fashion? I'm still trying to get the learning remote to learn my components but certainly not all functions are supported, even when the IR codes are found/accepted.

At the risk of derailing this thread just a bit, I recently picked up the NR1602 - it's my first network-enabled AVR. I picked it up with the idea of experimenting with a media server and (finally) consolidating the various media files I have amid the 4-or-more laptops and iDevices I have littering my home. Can I ask what you are using as a Media Server and how you have it connected to your 1602? I have multiple "experiments" going at the moment myself and am unsure what direction to commit to. Since your situation seems slightly-similar to mine, I figured I'd ask. biggrin.gif
post #189 of 220 Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleCrusher View Post

Perhaps the Marantz Learning Remote only interacts with your media server in a limited fashion? I'm still trying to get the learning remote to learn my components but certainly not all functions are supported, even when the IR codes are found/accepted.

At the risk of derailing this thread just a bit, I recently picked up the NR1602 - it's my first network-enabled AVR. I picked it up with the idea of experimenting with a media server and (finally) consolidating the various media files I have amid the 4-or-more laptops and iDevices I have littering my home. Can I ask what you are using as a Media Server and how you have it connected to your 1602? I have multiple "experiments" going at the moment myself and am unsure what direction to commit to. Since your situation seems slightly-similar to mine, I figured I'd ask. biggrin.gif

This is my first network AVR. You may be right in that the developer of the DeRemote app said this model didn't support pause or search. But the search will work with the standard app.

Silly me for thinking that product would just work with the most basc of media servers staright out the box. Particularly when there is a button for the feature on the OEM remote and a big Windows media logo on the box. That's all I'm using, regular old windows media center. These avr interface's are apparently still in their infancy and have some teething to do...
post #190 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubs View Post

Verify the Blu-Ray player's audio output settings. You may also want to try a different HDMI cable and / or different HDMI input.

I have a similar problem. I have Nr1602 connected with optical cable to viera gt50 series plasma and energy take classic speakrers set. Purchased it few days back, so I have yet to buy another HDMI for TV - receiver connection (only one at moment connects TV and set top box) and ethernet switch to connect marantz on home network.

Now, i have downloaded some 5.1 FLAC files - classical music, put it on USB stick, connected stick to TV and tried to play it. Marantz recognized it as plain stereo. OK, maybe TV isn't set up properly, so I tried to play it from USB port on Marantz itself - it's a little bit pain in the a** when you don't have a display on TV to navigate through stick, but OK.

Marantz refused to play files. All four of them. Goes from one to another, starts playing just one but just for few seconds with interrupts and problems, then locks. OK, maybe I need a firmware update - files are OK, PC and TV have no problem playing them.

So i downloaded another 5.1 FLAC, this time Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon (good thing for checking surronud... ) and this one plays from USB directly on receiver no problems, but... marantz still recognizes it as stereo, and i found no way to make it play 5.1...

So, what went wrong?

Panasonic TX-P 42GT50E
Marantz NR1602
Energy take classic 5.1
post #191 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 03:16 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Nothing. AFAIK, USB only supports stereo on both Marantz and Denon models.

post #192 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:

^^
Nothing. AFAIK, USB only supports stereo on both Marantz and Denon models.

Any solutions? Except recording multichanell audio CD-s, SACDs, DVD-s...?

(I presume it is the same with network files, stereo only?)

Panasonic TX-P 42GT50E
Marantz NR1602
Energy take classic 5.1
post #193 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, DLNA should be able to support 5.1 PCM.

post #194 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:

AFAIK, DLNA should be able to support 5.1 PCM.

tnx, i'll try. But why TV (GT50 is a monster and does everything you want except maybe making coffee) won't pass 5.1 signal over optical? Or is it the same with panasonic, 2.0 only when on USB?

Panasonic TX-P 42GT50E
Marantz NR1602
Energy take classic 5.1
post #195 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 AM
585-645-1006

In most cases, TVs will only pass stereo from an "externally" connected source whether USB or HDMI input but may pass DD 5.1 from an on board source (eg. Netflix). Check your TV Owner's manual to confirm.

post #196 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 AM

I'm going slightly mad. Ok maybe this is not any more marantz1602 issue, eg. offtopic, but...

I tried to play files over DLNA (on TV, 'cause Marantz is not wired yet), and... found out that only files visible from main PC which still runs on XP are two sample .wma files...

tried to put some more wma files from network in same shared directory (sample music), but viera still can't see them.... together with tons of mp3's .

And I can see mp3's on laptop and even play them, but no flacs whatsoever... probably because it's old version of media player which doesn't play flacs...

So, what shall I do

a) to make viera or marantz see at least mp3's from desktop comp,
b) to make 'em see AND play FLAC...

tnx...

(things were simple when i was young, there was 45 and 33, one for small records and other for those big ones... computers existed only in trash sci fi movies, usually wanted to take control over the world... i'm getting old.)

Panasonic TX-P 42GT50E
Marantz NR1602
Energy take classic 5.1
post #197 of 220 Old 05-05-2013, 07:43 AM

edit. Found problem with server - added manually folders in illuminate asset DLNA server on XP, and...

Good news, TV can see all of audio files from PC.

Bad news, plays none...

Ok, one more quesetion, if i leave surround settings on Marantz on "auto"; it is supposed to recognize 5.1 files, right? I mean if I put some surround or multichanell stereo it will just reconstruct "missing" channels, right, like tv-s which convert 2D into pseudo 3d?

Panasonic TX-P 42GT50E
Marantz NR1602
Energy take classic 5.1
post #198 of 220 Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM

New Question:

I have a Rocketfish RF-RBWS02 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor speaker. I use it for music when I'm raking in the yard and things like that. This has a sending unit that typically plugs into the Headphone Jack of the AVR; it also has RCA connections for RCA Audio Out.. I have the NR1602; it does not have RCA Audio Out connectors - but it has the headphone out and pre-outs.

I want to be able to plug the Rocketfish "sending unit" into the AVR AND hear music through the main speakers at the same time. Wife can hear music while she does inside chores; I can listen to it outside at the same time.

By default, as soon as I plug the sending unit into the headphone jack, the Marantz switches to Headphone Output, and I lose the sound to my main speakers. However, the wireless speaker works as expected with this configuration.

I attempted to hook the RCA connectors to the Pre-Outs to power the sending unit, but this results in extremely low volumes on the wireless speaker. The AVR works as expected, and the main speakers sound fine - but I can't get the volume of the wireless speaker to be acceptable.

Can I set the Marantz NR1602 so that it outputs audio through the Headphone jack AND the main speaker posts (at the same time)? eek.gif

Would a headphone amplifier hooked into the pre-outs boost the volume back up to typical levels? rolleyes.gif

Is there a full amplifier that I can hook up to the pre-outs for future expansion, but use it for this Rocketfish Sending unit in the meantime? It would need to have it's own RCA audio out or headphone jack. cool.gif
post #199 of 220 Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 18
can you just use the rca outs of whatever your source is. I'm pretty sure you can't bypass the headphone/speaker disable function and I had a head amp connected to the preouts and didn't like it so I connected to my source instead.
post #200 of 220 Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

can you just use the rca outs of whatever your source is. I'm pretty sure you can't bypass the headphone/speaker disable function and I had a head amp connected to the preouts and didn't like it so I connected to my source instead.

Interesting option, thanks for the idea. It might work for me in some cases; I was using the built-in streaming sources of the 1602 (Pandora) but could switch to using Pandora through my Blu-Ray which does have RCA audio out. It wouldn't work so smoothly for other sources (Cable Box, Apple TV, etc) - but it certainly could suffice 80% of the time when Pandora is in use.

I posted a new thread about using a full amp to drive the wireless transmitter - which seems overkill and comes with a new device/cost. And I've heard several dissatisfied comments from people when they do try to use the Marantz pre-outs so I might want to avoid that completely.
post #201 of 220 Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 AM

Hello

i have a problem with my NR1602 and a new HDMI device.

I use it since nearly 1 year and everything worked good with this configuration: Samsung LED TV on HDMI Out, Marantz UD5005 on HDMI 1, Wii U on HDMI 2. TV Audio configured and working over ARC.

Now i got a PayTV receiver (Sky+, german PayTV) and if this is connected on HDMI 3 (or 4 or 1 or 2) ARC doesnt work. If i unplugg the PayTV receiver at NR1602 PowerOn it works again.

Marantz support cant help, local dealer cant help. HDMI configuration done several times, HDMI cables are bought new (1.4 with ethernet).

Any ideas?

Cya

Gerhard
post #202 of 220 Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM

In your HDMI settings, make sure HDMI control is off.

Try to power on your devices in this order:
* HDTV
* AVR
* PayTV Receiver (and other devices)

If you are having an HDMI "handshake" issue, this might help.

Here is another post that speaks about it:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/46930-correcting-preventing-hdmi-hand-shake-problems.html
post #203 of 220 Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
585-645-1006

Cable/sat boxes often cause HDMI handshake issues. Your best bet is to connect the Skybox HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the 1602.

post #204 of 220 Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Hi

so, if it is really a handshake issue why does it happen with the sky receiver in standby? Just NR1602 and TV are powered on, all other devices are off. Could this be?
post #205 of 220 Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 PM
585-645-1006

Cable/sat boxes are generally only "off" when you unplug them. Try the configuration I suggested.

post #206 of 220 Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Was hoping someone here would be kind enough to answer a couple of questions for me please...

1) The remote for the NR1602 is rather cumbersome with the amount of buttons and was curious if the NR1603 or NR1604 remote would work with the NR1602.

2) I have a single output from the NR1602 to my Panasonic VT50 TV, and the inputs to the NR1602 - BD for blu-ray player and SAT for TiVo 3. Normally, using either the Panasonic remote or the TiVo remote, I can turn on the TV and Marantz. My normal fair is to use the TiVo remote to control channels and volume. Once in a while, I lose the ability to control the Marantz and have to manually turn it on and use the Marantz remote to control volume. If I try to Panasonic or the TiVo remote, I don't get the Marantz volume overlay just "speaker off" shows up in GUI overlay. Is there a quick fix for this other than say a universal remote? I prefer the TiVo remote for TV watching.

Any help would be extremely appreciated either posted here or PM.

- Phrehdd

Presently used system - Marantz NR1602, Oppo 103 Blu Ray, TiVo 3, 2x QNAP NAS, GoldenEar AON 3 (LF,RF,C)
post #207 of 220 Old 06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
585-645-1006

Not sure about #1 but #2 is more likely the result of HDMI handshake issues with both being easily resolved with a Harmony remote.

post #208 of 220 Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM

strange, I thought the lack of buttons on the newer models was annoying. I'm sure they would work but the new models of buttons that's aren't applicable to the 1602 (ie all the network related ones).
post #209 of 220 Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

strange, I thought the lack of buttons on the newer models was annoying. I'm sure they would work but the new models of buttons that's aren't applicable to the 1602 (ie all the network related ones).

Have you seen the NR1602 remote? It is really a mess. I can agree having the right amount of buttons is a must but in this case the "less" of the NR1604 is more useful.

post #210 of 220 Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 AM

I had the 1602 and I miss the remote.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page