Denon 787 wont output subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried looking for an official thread for this but couldnt find one. When I go through all the settings and turn on the subwoofer it still wont put any signal to the sub. I called denon and went through it with them and still couldnt get it to work. I also have another 787 and it does the same thing. When i hook up my hk everything is ok. Both were bought brand new and used for whole house audio and neber had a sub connected to them. Wasnt sure if this was a known issue. Thanks.

Made a mistake in life? Nothin' a little Valtrex can't take care of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
In whole house audio mode the FL/FR speakers were likely set to LARGE and the 2CH DIRECT surround mode used which would result in no signal to the sub. If you haven't already done it yet, reset the microprocessor (p. 42) to return all settings to their factory defaults.

When you run the AUTO SETUP program, does the sub get pinged? After the setup, set all speakers to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossovers (leave as is if higher than that). Then use the STANDARD surround mode which should resolve your issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In whole house audio mode the FL/FR speakers were likely set to LARGE and the 2CH DIRECT surround mode used which would result in no signal to the sub. If you haven't already done it yet, reset the microprocessor (p. 42) to return all settings to their factory defaults.

When you run the AUTO SETUP program, does the sub get pinged? After the setup, set all speakers to SMALL with minimum of 80hz crossovers (leave as is if higher than that). Then use the STANDARD surround mode which should resolve your issue.

Thank you so much for replying as i feel that its a setting issue versus defective since there are 2 of these and they are both not working for sub output.--- now i tried what you said and the sub only makes a thump noise when i turn the denon off, also the front display shows "sw". I went into the 2 ch mode and only had basic and custom changed the speakers to small as i also did this in speaker setup as well. Where do i find the STANDARD mode? I went through different surround modes using the right knob on the receiver and none worked. The best surround mode for using whole house audio for me is 7 channel but that still doesnt yield the woofer to thump. Thank you again for walking me through this as my 791 never gave me any grief but i remember my brothers 987 couldnt get the sub to kick and i changed the direct mode somehow and everything worked great. What am i missing? Thanks.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Perhaps I misunderstood you? I thought the AVR was formerly being used in whole house mode and now you wanted to use it in DD/DTS 5.1 surround mode? Which is it? While the sub is ON, pull the cable from the sub preout on the 787 and rub your finger over it ... do you hear some static noise? If yes, there's likely nothing wrong with the sub or cable. To select the STANDARD surround mode you'll want to press the "STD" button under the back flap of the remote.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Perhaps I misunderstood you? I thought the AVR was formerly being used in whole house mode and now you wanted to use it in DD/DTS 5.1 surround mode? Which is it? While the sub is ON, pull the cable from the sub preout on the 787 and rub your finger over it ... do you hear some static noise? If yes, there's likely nothing wrong with the sub or cable. To select the STANDARD surround mode you'll want to press the "STD" button under the back flap of the remote.

Sorry for the confusion, it is for whole house. I was referring to another issue i had with the 987 in theatre mode. I will try the STD button tonight when i get home. I think thats where the problem is and let you know.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM
585-645-1006

If you are using the 7CH Stereo mode, as long as the sub is set to yes, the AVR should be sending a signal to the sub providing all speakers are set to SMALL. Have you reset the microprocessor as suggested? If you have other room speakers connected to the SL/SR and SBL/SBR speaker posts then using the STD button isn't going to work for you, rather the 7CH Stereo mode is the correct mode. Also test that the sub itself isn't defective using the test I suggested.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you are using the 7CH Stereo mode, as long as the sub is set to yes, the AVR should be sending a signal to the sub providing all speakers are set to SMALL. Have you reset the microprocessor as suggested? If you have other room speakers connected to the SL/SR and SBL/SBR speaker posts then using the STD button isn't going to work for you, rather the 7CH Stereo mode is the correct mode. Also test that the sub itself isn't defective using the test I suggested.

I did reset the processor and all speakers are set to small. I tested the sub and its fine as well as the cables to the sub. Its just really weird that this unit and the other 787 do not output to a sub. But my hk and my denon 791 work with the sub. Well thanks for trying i still have 1 month of a circuit city extended warranty i think ill try and use.wish me luck.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 AM
585-645-1006

Do you have the sub cable plugged into the sub preout jack (upper right corner of AVR)? Can you successfully send a test signal to the sub? Are all speaker crossovers set to a minimum of 80hz? What source audio are you playing? Try playing a DD/DTS 5.1 DVD that has a dedicated .1 (sub only) channel and see if the sub responds. As the "SW" icon is lit, the AVR appears to at least be trying to send a signal to the sub.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you have the sub cable plugged into the sub preout jack (upper right corner of AVR)? Can you successfully send a test signal to the sub? Are all speaker crossovers set to a minimum of 80hz? What source audio are you playing? Try playing a DD/DTS 5.1 DVD that has a dedicated .1 (sub only) channel and see if the sub responds. As the "SW" icon is lit, the AVR appears to at least be trying to send a signal to the sub.

Wow i am feeling like a dumbass... I was using ext. in SW not the preouts like i should. Thank you so much for continuing to offer advice. This saved me a trip radio shack to have it serviced (ext warranty) and really feel like a fool. Again thank you very much.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
585-645-1006

Yeh .. I hesitated to put that in there .. but you'd be surprised how often it's happened to others as well.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeh .. I hesitated to put that in there .. but you'd be surprised how often it's happened to others as well.

Im glad you did! Take it easy.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page