How does Denon 2809CI treat a 4.1 phantom center? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of mounting issues with the space (lack thereof) above or below the projection screen I may have to do a 4.1 with the B&W CM1s instead of 5.1 like I was planning.

I have the Denon 2809CI. In reading discussions about phantom center, some receivers will degrade the signal under certain conditions in order to mix the channels for the phantom center. Does this also apply to the Denon 2809CI. I'm trying to get a sense of the pros/cons with this particular receiver model. Any other settings tips for this model 2809CI with phantom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBear View Post

Because of mounting issues with the space (lack thereof) above or below the projection screen I may have to do a 4.1 with the B&W CM1s instead of 5.1 like I was planning.

I have the Denon 2809CI. In reading discussions about phantom center, some receivers will degrade the signal under certain conditions in order to mix the channels for the phantom center. Does this also apply to the Denon 2809CI. I'm trying to get a sense of the pros/cons with this particular receiver model. Any other settings tips for this model 2809CI with phantom?

Any receiver in phantom center mode is going to degrade the signal in the front left/right since you are making the device synthesize a signal that is different from the input. When the output differs from the input you have distortion.

Phantom center works just fine. The only downside is the "sweet spot" might be rather small if the main speakers are close together or the on-screen sound information might be too dispersed of the main speakers are too far apart as is common in sub/sat installation.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your movies.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good explanation, what you said summarizes nicely dozens of threads that I read. If I had to run phantom center, then I still wonder what is best for the Denon DRC (dynamic range compression) setting? This can be turned off completely in the menu on this particular model.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page