Yamaha RX-A700 - No sound SACD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple of months ago I got a Yamaha RX-A700. Plays CDs, DVD-A, DVD's fine through my player but went to play a SACD this morning and got no sound. With not alot of knowledge I don't know what it might be. SACD? DSD? HDMI cables? I am at a loss.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilshere View Post

A couple of months ago I got a Yamaha RX-A700. Plays CDs, DVD-A, DVD's fine through my player but went to play a SACD this morning and got no sound. With not alot of knowledge I don't know what it might be. SACD? DSD? HDMI cables? I am at a loss.

Ideas?

Thanks.

I think you need to provide more info...

1) What player are you using for SACD
2) How is the player connected to the receiver?

My multi-format player requires multi-channel analog connections for SACD. It can't do DSD over HDMI, or PCM - analog only. Maybe you have some restrictions as well in your system.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I think you need to provide more info...

1) What player are you using for SACD
2) How is the player connected to the receiver?

My multi-format player requires multi-channel analog connections for SACD. It can't do DSD over HDMI, or PCM - analog only. Maybe you have some restrictions as well in your system.

I am using a Yamaha DVR-C310 which is connected by a HDMI. The HDMI audio outputs on the player are set for "all" (not just PCM) and the receiver is SACD/DSD compatible, according to Yamaha.

Since I posted I did speak with Yamaha and they had me check the receiver input while playing a SACD. It was showing input of PCM eventhough the player was set to output "all" through the HDMI. So they are escalating the question and will calll me back.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Are you only getting sound from your l and r speaker or is the center playing too? Yamahas generally set the rear surround and rear channels to off and simply need to be turned off. Is your receiver set to straight or are you using a dsp?
post #5 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Hope your Yamaha player works better than the crappy Yamaha player I own (been replaced twice, and it's still junk...so I guess that model was junk.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Hope your Yamaha player works better than the crappy Yamaha player I own (been replaced twice, and it's still junk...so I guess that model was junk.)

I have had this player for several years and have had no issues.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I believe this is a HTIB system with a combined player and receiver?

It most likely does not output high-res audio over HDMI, and you would only be able to listen to SACD through it's own speaker system. You could try setting the HDMI audio output to PCM, but keep expectations low. Also, the video output would have to be set to 720 or 1080.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I believe this is a HTIB system with a combined player and receiver?

It most likely does not output high-res audio over HDMI, and you would only be able to listen to SACD through it's own speaker system. You could try setting the HDMI audio output to PCM, but keep expectations low. Also, the video output would have to be set to 720 or 1080.

Yes it is a HTIB system. The player's HDMI audio output is "all" so why would it not play the SACD/DSD through the receiver when it plays everything else?

When you say high res audio, are you referring to DSD as opposed to DVDA?
post #9 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Yes it is a HTIB system. The player's HDMI audio output is "all" so why would it not play the SACD/DSD through the receiver when it plays everything else?

Because the HDMI output is only intended to be connected directly to a TV, not an AV receiver, since your device is itself an AV receiver. TVs don't support DSD decoding so there's no need to provide support for DSD over HDMI. Providing this feature isn't necessary free. Potentially Yamaha could save money by using cheaper components that don't support DSD over HDMI and/or not having to pay patent licencing fees.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Because the HDMI output is only intended to be connected directly to a TV, not an AV receiver, since your device is itself an AV receiver. TVs don't support DSD decoding so there's no need to provide support for DSD over HDMI. Providing this feature isn't necessary free. Potentially Yamaha could save money by using cheaper components that don't support DSD over HDMI and/or not having to pay patent licencing fees.

If this is true, then I am screwed and have to buy another player?
post #11 of 22 Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

If this is true, then I am screwed and have to buy another player?

You can try playing with the other output settings to see if they let you hear SACDs. You might not be able to get DSD over HDMI, but if it can output SACD audio using PCM over HDMI then that's still pretty good.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

You can try playing with the other output settings to see if they let you hear SACDs. You might not be able to get DSD over HDMI, but if it can output SACD audio using PCM over HDMI then that's still pretty good.

Unfortunately still got no sound.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Unfortunately still got no sound.

Than you are out of luck. If you need only SACD, get one of latest Sony BD players. They support SACD playback. If you need DVD-A too, then try to find one of older Pioneer DVD players. They still are sold new in some Internet stores.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Than you are out of luck. If you need only SACD, get one of latest Sony BD players. They support SACD playback. If you need DVD-A too, then try to find one of older Pioneer DVD players. They still are sold new in some Internet stores.

The older Pioneers will handle CD, SACD, DVD-A and DVD through HDMI for both audio and video through my Yamaha receiver? Blu-ray not necessary.

What model Pioneers? Pioneer DV-610?
post #15 of 22 Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The older Pioneers will handle CD, SACD, DVD-A and DVD through HDMI for both audio and video through my Yamaha receiver? Blu-ray not necessary.

What model Pioneers? Pioneer DV-610?

Dv610 will do the job just fine. Or you could step up to the oppo 93 as it will play everything you can throw at it.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Dv610 will do the job just fine. Or you could step up to the oppo 93 as it will play everything you can throw at it.

between the DV 610 and a Blu Ray player, which I was given as a present, I should be fine?

the oppo 93 at +$400 is more than i want to spend.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 AM

Liked: 12
I have a rx-v 471 yam avr,it plays dsd perfectly. My blu-ray player is a sony 570. Remember not ALL sacds have multi-channel audio,only hybrid sacd`s have multi-channel audio.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0011 View Post

I have a rx-v 471 yam avr,it plays dsd perfectly. My blu-ray player is a sony 570. Remember not ALL sacds have multi-channel audio,only hybrid sacd`s have multi-channel audio.

The issue appears not to be the receiver but my player and its capabilities.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

will the RX-A700 decode to DSD?
post #20 of 22 Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 AM

I always thought the RX-A700 was part of Yamaha's high end Aventage series.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:

will the RX-A700 decode to DSD?

Yes.

I have a question. I have an Oppo DV-980H DVD/SACD player and just hooked up cables to the analog multi-ch outputs to my RX-A700 just to see how it compares to an HDMI connection. Can I have both HDMI and multi-ch analog connections to my receiver and get sound from both connections? I am not getting any sound thru the multi-ch connections. Was thinking maybe the HDMI connection was overriding the analog connections? I switch the input on the Yammy to Multi Ch and no sound. Switch to HDMI and it plays fine.

Also, it says in the manual that you can output video from an HDMI input while using the multi ch input for sound on the A700 during SACD play, but it does not explain how to do this. Maybe I am reading the manual wrong, but is it possible to display the Oppo video on the TV while listening to the analog multi ch sound? So in essence video from the HDMI connection and audio from the analog multi ch connection. Since I have both connected I was trying to figure out how to do this, but maybe it isn't possible. Doesn't really matter if I am not even getting sound from the analog multi ch connections I guess. But was just curious. Thx.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 AM

Liked: 12
My Denon DVD-1940ci will output DVD-Audio through the HDMI port, DSD(SACD) or PCM (SACD), will not output through HDMI in any form, 2 CH or Multi-channel. SACD will only output through the players 5.1 analog rca connections. At the time, this was the norm. The competing Pioneer SACD player would only output SACD PCM through HDMI, not DSD, and that was special.

I'm waiting for DVD-Audio and SACD Discs to be replaced by Blu-Ray with HD Audio. Can't wait to see Dark Side Of The Moon on Blu-Ray in 7.1 DTS-HD MA! I retired that Denon player as I only have a handful of SACD and DVD-Audio discs. Support for the formats has dropped to only the most expensive players (universal) or DVD-Audio, except cheap Sony SACD Blu-Ray players. I'm not going to spend a fortune on a player or discs, that use formats that are losing support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A700 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - A700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page