Just received a proficient M80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a HK AVR 3600 and it kept having HDMI issues, so i had sent it back to get a replacement. While I was waiting a came across one of the proficient M80's. I had never heard of one, so i decided to do some research, and i found that it's only sold by custom installers etc,. let me tell you what! This thing is a beast! it has the best on screen setup as far as ease of use. It may not be as pretty of an onscreen setup as the HK, but it's very easy and straight forward. the manual is also fantastic! If anyone comes across one of these used, I would recommend you jump on it! I was using seperate mono amps for my front/left and center channels, but with this beast, there's no need anymore! 7x130 watts, and it really is a true 130 per channel. loving it so far! I read that it has alot of N A D pieces and parts in it, but I'm not definite. I had HK refund my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like an Outlaw at first blush, but I've never heard of this manufacturer before. Very interesting find there, and glad you've found something that works.

If you don't mind me asking, and if you know, how much is this receiver supposed to cost?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

It was originally $999. Many threads I've read around the net are saying it's an NAD with a different faceplate and more power. it's really unique looking with an Aluminum face. not plastic. it has some real "balls" ! it has some weight to it oo.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Here is some updated info for you..

Proficient Audio is part of SpeakerCraft, and about 2 1/2 years back they decided to enter the AVR biz. Some of you may not be aware of who Speaker Craft is, they invented the in-wall loudspeaker many years back and actually built products for several brands including JBL, Sonance, Polk. Both Proficient and Speakercraft are well-respected in the field of custom audio/video installs.

To develop/design their AVR, they hired a team of US audio, video and mechanical engineers, and hired the leading AVR design engineer/manager from Harman International as team leader. Quietly the team developed (2) models the M80 and Vital 910, and started shipping about 18 months ago. They took their AVR design to a well-respected off-shore assembler to have it built, after the M80 and 910 were in mass production NAD negotiated a deal to market a clone model as the 747.

The M80 and 910 is an incredibly well-built AVR using old school ground rules, use high grade components and deliver high quality audio and video streams. But as you can see the last 12 months has been dismal for the AVR market segment, the big brands hyped the push for 3-D and failed..
Next they started a big bloody, price war...
After the dust settled, everyone lost big money..

After all of the ruckus, Proficient and SpeakerCraft pulled back from the market and I actually bought about 75 pcs of the M80 for my A/V install biz. Now I am down to about 4 pcs but I can tell you the M80 and 910 are far more reliable than even the higher end Denon and Onkyo AVRs. If you check closely some of the on-line sellers you may still find a single pc of the M80 or 910, and they are still selling for close to their original price.

Just my $0.02...
post #6 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

I got this one for a little over $400 on ebay! I'm assuming people didn't know what it was, but i actually got some of my info from You m code! Thanks! great Piece! I have been an HK fan for years, and i still love the HK sound, but when i came across this M80 i had to pull the trigger!
post #7 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I had a Denon AVR 987 and the onscreen setup was terrible! the instruction manual was a complete joke! it took me 5 times as long to set it up as it did any of my HK's or this M80. Once i got it setup, it was OK, but i still prefer an HK over it even though i had an issue with my last one. I'm hoping though that this M80 will keep me happy for a good while!
post #8 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

This link has a pic of the M80 if anyone wants to see what it looks like. it also says that it retailed for $1,250 and not $999 like another site stated?? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=953
post #9 of 14 Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Since it's a CI part, I'm guessing retailers can get a bit happy with the pricing, like you see with some Integra and McIntosh pieces. That's just a guess though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, what does CI mean??
post #11 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Custom Install...

Just my $0.02...
post #12 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM

I bought one of these new online for $600. It sat awhile while my house was getting built. A few months passed by and when installer tried to install it, it wouldn't turn on. Because I bought it online, it is not covered by the warranty. I have taken into a local AV shop who contacted Proficient. They say that if it is covered by warranty (which it isn't), they will replace it. They do not repair them or provide a service manual. So the local shop is going to see if they can find a problem but they are not optimistic. Looks like I might be out of luck.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquivela View Post

I bought one of these new online for $600. It sat awhile while my house was getting built. A few months passed by and when installer tried to install it, it wouldn't turn on. Because I bought it online, it is not covered by the warranty. I have taken into a local AV shop who contacted Proficient. They say that if it is covered by warranty (which it isn't), they will replace it. They do not repair them or provide a service manual. So the local shop is going to see if they can find a problem but they are not optimistic. Looks like I might be out of luck.

Has the unit been dropped or abused??
We have sold/installed many, many M80s they have been very reliable...
If completely DOA have your service center check for a loose primary fuse..
It is located on the circuit board beside the power transformer..

Just my $0.02...
post #14 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Not that I know of unless the delivery guy dropped it. Thanks for the tip. I will let my service guy know.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page