Can't get dialog from Blu-ray movie w/Dolby Digital 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Yamaha HTR-6050 receiver with five speakers and sub. Was watching Super 8 on Blu-ray this evening and noticed I couldn't get any dialog in my center speaker. The audio was Dolby Digital 7.1 TruHD for the movie.

Was this because my receiver is not compatible with Dolby Digital 7.1? The dialog came from the R & L front speakers only. Is there a setting that I can change so that future movies won't cause this? I've watched many Blu-ray movies and never has the dialog not come from the center speaker. Is the only solution to get a new receiver? If so, what's a good quality receiver that's on the cheap? I don't have any qualms with getting used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Considering your receiver is not HD audio compatible, (Dolby TruHD, DTS HD MA) all you've been listening to is the core DD/DTS tracks on your BD movies. Upgrading to any new receiver will get you the lossless sound tracks that you are missing.

Try researching in this part of this forum. Lots of good info to be found.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank3 View Post

I have Yamaha HTR-6050 receiver with five speakers and sub. Was watching Super 8 on Blu-ray this evening and noticed I couldn't get any dialog in my center speaker. The audio was Dolby Digital 7.1 TruHD for the movie.

Was this because my receiver is not compatible with Dolby Digital 7.1? The dialog came from the R & L front speakers only. Is there a setting that I can change so that future movies won't cause this? I've watched many Blu-ray movies and never has the dialog not come from the center speaker. Is the only solution to get a new receiver? If so, what's a good quality receiver that's on the cheap? I don't have any qualms with getting used.

Were you getting surround sound? If not, sounds like you could have been getting 2 channels only. If you got surround sound, but no center, that could indicate a number of possible issues.

I am not familiar with the specifics of that receiver. Is the player connected with HDMI, or optical?

If optical, you should get a Dolby Digital or DTS signal from most discs. That's how it should work as memory serves. You can try a different audio track to see if that helps.

If it's HDMI, you could check your player settings. I would use a setting where the player does the decoding, and outputs PCM i(multo-channel) f the receiver can play that back. In that case, you can get losless audio as it was intended.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

I was getting surround sound for sure. I'm running either optical or coax - can't recall sorry. The receiver is an older unit. It has HDMI but it's only for video, not audio. Perhaps that should be an indicator to upgrade?

When I tried Dolby Digital in 5.1 the dialog came out the center speaker, however, it was in different languages and the English one had commentary. So I resorted back to 7.1 and tolerated dialog coming from the front side speakers.

So if I got a new receiver that had HDMI audio and video would it alleviate this issue?
post #5 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I was getting surround sound for sure. I'm running either optical or coax - can't recall sorry

Hi Hank3, what does the receiver display show as sound field and what decoder indicator lights up?

Also is the BD player audio mix set to on? If so try turning it to off.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

All of the indicator lights were lit on the receiver display. During the menu screen, audio was coming out of the center speaker, as well as the other languages like I said in my previous post.

What audio mix setting are you referring to on my Blu-ray player? I have a Sony BDP-S370.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

All of the indicator lights were lit on the receiver display.

All decoder indicators are lite up
DTS, DD, PCM, PL, PLI

Quote:

What audio mix setting are you referring to on my Blu-ray player? I have a Sony BDP-S370.

Yes the Blu-ray player, should be under audio settings.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

All decoder indicators are lite up
DTS, DD, PCM, PL, PLI

My bad...I thought you meant the speaker indicator lights (those were all lit) . I did not check to see which of the lights were lit for the DTS, DD, PCM, PL, PLI.

Do people upgrade to 7.1 receivers when they only have five speakers? Sorry for the newbness
post #9 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Do people upgrade to 7.1 receivers when they only have five speakers? Sorry for the newbness

yes they do because 5.1 receivers are usually entry level and have less features than their 7.1 brethren.

I have two 7.1 receivers but only use 5.1 setups.

Afro GT
post #10 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

So no incompatibility issues if I only have five speakers and a sub (i.e. dialog issuues not coming out of center channle speaker)? And how do I make sure that the next receiver I get will have HDMI audio and video? Right now the receiver I have has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, however it's only video as I still have to to use optical and coax for my DirecTV and Blu-ray player.

Any suggestions for some entry 7.1 receivers? Yamaha or Onkyo would be fine.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So no incompatibility issues if I only have five speakers and a sub (i.e. dialog issuues not coming out of center channle speaker)? And how do I make sure that the next receiver I get will have HDMI audio and video? Right now the receiver I have has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, however it's only video as I still have to to use optical and coax for my DirecTV and Blu-ray player.

I think your problem is specifically related to a lack of Dolby Digital 5.1 track in the Bluray disk. They probably only provided DTHD 7.1 for English. Your player is downconverting that to 2 channel and sending it out as PCM 2.0 to your speakers. For other movies, there might have been a hidden DD 5.1 track (like some movies do) or just the DTS core - so you were getting 5.1.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I think I might have found a potential fix as another member ran into a similar problem while watching the Super 8 in Blu-ray:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386190
post #13 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Not much of an issue now because all new HDMI receivers will decode TrueHD and DTS-MA audio. Even the entry level 5.1 models from Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, and HK will do this. And they will have a minimum of 4 HDMI inputs.

How much are you willing to spend for your new 7.1 receiver?

Afro GT
post #14 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking between $150 - $200. And should I just go ahead and get 7.1...or spend less money and get a 5.1?

Maybe this Denon or Sony?

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312...=2N5Y20Y2EXTY7

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520-...=2N5Y20Y2EXTY7
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page