Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V371 Receiver to replace a Yamaha HTR-6140. I mainly bought the V371 because it has 4 hdmi ports but also handles DD+ from my roku. After reading the manual, it says that you can't use a dvi-hdmi cable (I have an older DVI HDTV) with the system and expect the receiver to play hdmi audio when connected to a HDMI device like my cable box. I see first hand that the audio cuts out immediately upon connecting the dvi-hdmi cable to the TV. I'm not trying to get audio out of the tv (i understand that dvi doesn't carry audio), but I also don't expect the audio to cut out on the receiver.

My question is this a problem with all newer gen receivers ? Getting audio from HDMI and then using a HDMI>DVI cable to the TV worked fine on my two year old HTR-6140. If it is just this particular receiver I will send it back to Newegg and buy something else. Or does anyone have any other ideas ?

Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
This issue is common with many brands when connected to an older DVI TV. What usually resolves the issue (if you're not updating the TV in the near future) is connecting a device like the HDMI Detective.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882804103

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing this could happen with any receiver and not just because I bought an inexpensive one ? I would rather return the receiver and put the $85 to a more expensive unit but if i have to buy this HDMI detective then I will.

Thanks,

Ken
post #4 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 AM
585-645-1006

Correct. It's very possible on more expensive models as well ... an EDID device like the "Detective" would likely be your best solution.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 AM

Liked: 52
Put the receiver in advanced mode and make the monitor check feature to skip. That might solve your problem.

Ps. I'm not saure if your receiver has the monitor check feature but most Yamahad do.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Put the receiver in advanced mode and make the monitor check feature to skip. That might solve your problem.

Ps. I'm not saure if your receiver has the monitor check feature but most Yamahad do.

The RX-V371 manual states in the troubleshooting section under "no sound":
" If a DVI-HDMI cable is used to connect the unit with an external component, then it is necessary to use an audio input jack for a different input to output audio."

In this case I wonder if the detective would even work since they are clearly spelling out that what i want to do won't work.

-Ken
post #7 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 AM
585-645-1006

That note applies to connecting an external DVI device "to" the HDMI AVR (ie. pointing out that DVI only carries video) ... in your case you're trying to connect the AVR "to" a DVI TV.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM

That would be for a component such as cable box, DVD, or any source device which carries audio and video. Since DVI only carries video a separate connection would be needed for the audio.

This does not apply to the OP. Going to the TV with DVI as the OP states video only should be fine. It might be an HDCP issue as not all DVI displays support HDCP. I would turn off HDMI control. I just checked the manuals the monitor skip feature in the advanced menu is only in the models 571 and above.

I know the monitor skip feature ignores the EDID information, I'm not sure if it ignores HDCP. You would have to try it. If your display does not support HDCP you might want to try the Gefen HDMI detective.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Since DVI only carries video a separate connection would be needed for the audio.

DVI can carry audio as well.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My display is a Sony Wega 50WE610 rp lcd which does support HDCP. Again I get sound, but the minute i turn on the TV i see a picture but lose the sound!! I think the detective may be the way to go but I need to purchase it from somewhere that will let me return it in case it doesnt work.

-Ken
post #11 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM

I've never seen any DVI device that has audio as part of the DVI connection. DVI can do analog video which HDMI can't. Do you have any examples?
post #12 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 AM

If the Sony supports HDCP the receiver with monitor check set to skip will most likely work.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
A DVI or HDMI connection running in DVI mode can't carry audio. Audio isn't part of the DVI specification. While it's possibe for a DVI to HDMI cable, or even a DVI to DVI cable, to carry audio, it's only possible when the connection is in HDMI mode, and thus following the newer HDMI spec.

Any TV with a DVI port but no HDMI ports, almost certianly doesn't follow the HDMI spec and thus any sort of DVI or HDMI connection to the TV must be made in DVI mode. Extrapolating from what jdsmoothie said, I'm guessing that most if not all AV receivers force their source HDMI connections into DVI mode when the connection to the TV is running in DVI mode.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I've never seen any DVI device that has audio as part of the DVI connection.

I've never seen you, therefore you don't exist.

Quote:

DVI can do analog video which HDMI can't.

A DVI-A or DVI-I connector has pins for analog video....an HDMI connector could be used to carry analog video as well. DVI...digital video interface, does not carry analog video.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

A DVI-A or DVI-I connector has pins for analog video....an HDMI connector could be used to carry analog video as well. DVI...digital video interface, does not carry analog video.

1st sentence amd last sentence are contradictory.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Expect issues like this until you update the display.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page