post #31 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post

Personally prefer Denon's sound to Onkyo's, especially for music.

I think is time you upgraded your speakers, if you think denons amps sound better than onkyo in the same price class..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post

That, plus the audio delay(optical input had the same problem) when switching songs and sometimes when you fast forward or skip chapters on blu rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The audio doesn't go from digital to analog, but when there is a gap in the codec stream, it does take 1-2 seconds to lock on to it again.

That said, I do experience that with commercials some times, but when going back to the sports programming, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

acer and Curtis,

Thanks for your thoughts on the audio delay issue. I would really like to try the R-972 and Trinnov but the audio delay issue is a deal breaker for me. It is too bad as this issue is something that should not be present in current AVR/prepros.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #33 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Curtis,

When you are watching sports in HD on TV when there are commercial breaks when the audio goes from digital to analog and back is there an audible delay? When I had the Onkyo 905 (early FW) and the 805 (before updating the FW) there was a 1-2 second delay while the Onkyo locked on to the audio format changes. It drove me nuts as you would lose audio for the 1-2 seconds whenever there was a commercial in analog. If the R-972 does this then it is a total deal breaker for me. Thanks for your help!

Bill

Bill, sometimes I may watch three commercials with no drop, than the next few will drop.When the stream changes it's a toss up, I don't care but that would bug some.I asked about an optical cable and was told by another user it did the same, have not tried it.I know you're thinking about it but if you don't like quirks, and I know ya don't..........
post #34 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts on the audio delay issue. I would really like to try the R-972 and Trinnov but the audio delay issue is a deal breaker for me. It is too bad as this issue is something that should not be present in current AVR/prepros.

I completely understand and agree....

...but let me tell you, your SACD/multichannel collection, I have no doubts, would sound MUCH better. The coherence that Trinnov Optimization brings is pretty amazing.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #35 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

Bill, sometimes I may watch three commercials with no drop, than the next few will drop.When the stream changes it's a toss up, I don't care but that would bug some.I asked about an optical cable and was told by another user it did the same, have not tried it.I know you're thinking about it but if you don't like quirks, and I know ya don't..........

Elmo C,

Thanks for your thoughts. I just have a feeling it will be an issue and I hate to send gear back. The price is just soooo tempting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I completely understand and agree....

...but let me tell you, your SACD/multichannel collection, I have no doubts, would sound MUCH better. The coherence that Trinnov Optimization brings is pretty amazing.

Curtis,

Are you in sales? You just know the mention of improved MCH music SQ will make me think twice. I think I will hold out to replace my 886 with the XMC-1 or something with XT32.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #36 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are you in sales? You just know the mention of improved MCH music SQ will make me think twice. I think I will hold out to replace my 886 with the XMC-1 or something with XT32.

LOL!! Seriously though, I wish you lived close enough to me so you could bring over a few favorite SACDs to test out.

I am skeptical about pre/pros from Emotiva, although TACT is interesting. Wait longer, as I was told there would be more consumer products with Trinnov in the next couple of years...the is secondhand info, but I have no reason not to believe it.

Of course, for some serious coin, you can get a standalone Trinnov equipped unit from ADA.
http://www.ada.net/products/ht/teq_trinnov.php

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #37 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I do get a very brief audio delay when restarting the computer, or starting MCE, but it's minimal and not an issue.

I don't really watch regular TV anymore, but I tested going between channels using my tuners in MCE and I did not notice a delay at all (although MCE is not the fastest at changing channels).

There is no delay when playing music from my NAS or when streaming MOG (via Airplay to the HTPC).

So, for me is a non-issue.

But, even if I was experiencing delays when switching channels, I'd rather have Trinnov, than have no delays and have to go back to Audyssey....
post #38 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
How do you guys feel about the 972 vs the 4311 if speaking in terms of sound quality only, with no room EQ?
post #39 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

I think is time you upgraded your speakers, if you think denons amps sound better than onkyo in the same price class..

Geez, & I really liked my Aperion Grand Verus Speakers.

In all seriousness, I've compared between the Onkyo 805 and the Denon 989 (2809), and more recently the Onkyo 3008 and the Denon 4311. To these ears the Denon sound seems cleaner. But to each his own.

Thanks, Ron
post #40 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

How do you guys feel about the 972 vs the 4311 if speaking in terms of sound quality only, with no room EQ?

Noah made comment on that on the first page...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=28

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #41 of 41 Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I know this thread is a little older but...

Has anyone actually directly compared XT32 with Trinnov and measured the post calibration results from each, or is everyone speaking in terms of 'ear preference' only?

As someone that recently purchased a 4311ci and is very impressed with XT32 I am curious about the claims that the basic Trinnov in the 972 is superior, and of course the 972 at that price is tempting. wink.gif

Thank You,
Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page