Denon 4311 or Sherwood R-972 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently have the Denon 4311 and have enjoyed it immensely. But the Trinnov room correction coupled with the low closeout price of the Sherwood R-972 has me intrigued. Has anybody had experience with both? How does the Trinnov compare with the Audessey Multi XT32? Also interested in 2 channel music comparison.

I use external amplification (Boston Acousitics A-7200 and Emotiva UPA-1's) so power is not a consideration.

Thanks, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
I have a somewhat similar situation in that I use Outboard Amplifiers for all channels, own an Onkyo TX-NR3008 which also offers Audyssey XT32/SubEQ HT, and happen to also own a R972.

I have been intrigued about the 972 for several years. I even have a Post on the 1st Page of the "Official Sherwood/Newcastle R972 Owners Thread" almost 4 years ago now. All I can say is that Trinnov is absolutely amazing and I honestly believe it alone makes it worth getting due to the massively discounted price.

It is not nearly as user friendly as your Denon or any other current quality AVR. The Remote Control is terrible for controlling other sources with. I actually use my Onkyo RC to control the 972 along with all of my other gear.

The Preamp Stage is quite solid and the Reon Processor is quite good. Thanks to the latest (1.47) Firmware, it also passes 3D Signals. It does take a few seconds once an HDMI Source is selected for it to give you a picture.

Back to Trinnov, I have only had the 972 for a few Months and I only think I am scratching the surface. I honestly believe it to be the most advanced Room EQ ever offered on an AVR. However, it is not nearly as user friendly as Audyssey.

Given AC4L offers a 30 Day Return Policy and they are some of the nicest folks I have ever encountered, I really think it is worth the risk of Return Shipping. I also like having a backup AVR should my Onkyo ever need repair all at a Budget AVR Price,
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #3 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm interested in the R-972 as well. Since you seem to have some experience with it, can you tell me the current state of video up conversion with the latest firmware? I'm not clear what works and what doesn't. The problem that I'm running into is that the setting for that is global and not on a specific input. So the choice seems to be to leave it bypassed or switch it back and forth with a remote macro of some kind. Is it able to up convert 480i yet?
post #4 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Given AC4L offers a 30 Day Return Policy and they are some of the nicest folks I have ever encountered, I really think it is worth the risk of Return Shipping. I also like having a backup AVR should my Onkyo ever need repair all at a Budget AVR Price,
Cheers,
AD

I have been considering that deal as well but I just don't if I should do it. I'm afraid I will love the sound quality and then hate everything else about the receiver. Then if I replaced it I would be missing that sound quality from Trinnov. It could really turn into a catch 22. I know Trinnov is nice and I've heard great things about it but I've also heard how buggy the Sherwood is and that would bother me. Also I was reading a4ls return policy and it looked like there was a restocking fee as well unless the receiver was defective. Its really tough to turn down at that price but I am trying to resist.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I have been considering that deal as well but I just don't if I should do it. I'm afraid I will love the sound quality and then hate everything else about the receiver. Then if I replaced it I would be missing that sound quality from Trinnov. It could really turn into a catch 22. I know Trinnov is nice and I've heard great things about it but I've also heard how buggy the Sherwood is and that would bother me. Also I was reading a4ls return policy and it looked like there was a restocking fee as well unless the receiver was defective. Its really tough to turn down at that price but I am trying to resist.

Exactly the way I feel.
post #6 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
4311 all the way. It's not even a contest.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

4311 all the way. It's not even a contest.

If you don't mind me asking, is that your opinion because you have tried them both? Thanks, Ron
post #8 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post

If you don't mind me asking, is that your opinion because you have tried them both? Thanks, Ron

I don't mind at all, no I have actually heard neither

I base my opinion on the feature set. The only feature that the Sherwood has going for it is the room EQ. The biggest selling point of that eq is that it can correct for improper speaker placement in 3 dimensional space. Fortunately for me I already use proper speaker placement, so that leaves all the other feature sets to judge one against the other.

So my question would be, other than the room EQ, what would be a superior feature of the Sherwood? I also read bad things about HDMI on the Sherwood from legitimate reviewers. Assuming that issue was fixed in FW, the 4311 still has 11.2 pre-outs, dsw wide and height, a good room eq with double independent subwoofer control, a nice gui and web feature set and finally decent amps for my 8 ohm speakers.
post #9 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If I remember correctly some of the guys in the local ht group who used the trinnov said it was better for a single lp compared to audyssey xt32. I'm sure they'll chime in soon

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #10 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't mind at all, no I have actually heard neither

I base my opinion on the feature set. The only feature that the Sherwood has going for it is the room EQ. The biggest selling point of that eq is that it can correct for improper speaker placement in 3 dimensional space. Fortunately for me I already use proper speaker placement, so that leaves all the other feature sets to judge one against the other.

So my question would be, other than the room EQ, what would be a superior feature of the Sherwood? I also read bad things about HDMI on the Sherwood from legitimate reviewers. Assuming that issue was fixed in FW, the 4311 still has 11.2 pre-outs, dsw wide and height, a good room eq with double independent subwoofer control, a nice gui and web feature set and finally decent amps for my 8 ohm speakers.

Yea, the Trinnov room EQ is the only feature I am really interested in. The 4311 is the best receiver I have ever had and I've tried quite a few (Yamaha 663, Onkyo 3008, 805, Emotiva UMC-1, Pioneer SC-35). I'd hate to lose the great features of the Denon.
post #11 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post

Yea, the Trinnov room EQ is the only feature I am really interested in. The 4311 is the best receiver I have ever had and I've tried quite a few (Yamaha 663, Onkyo 3008, 805, Emotiva UMC-1, Pioneer SC-35). I'd hate to lose the great features of the Denon.

That's a good list of receivers you have experienced, I'm actually coming from first an Onkyo 805, then most recently and Onkyo 3007. The 805 is every bit the power beast of legend, but I found the 3007 to be a much nicer and nuanced over all experience in terms of normal to even higher listening levels.

How would you compare the Onkyo 3008 to the 4311 strictly in terms of sound (rather than features)?
post #12 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I am with Audiodork.

For me, Trinnov is the Big Thing about this receiver.

Comparing Trinnov to Audyssey MultiEQ XT (I can't speak to XT32), Trinnov is noticeably better, even at straight room equalization, without the 3D function engaged. At least in my room. With 3D engaged, Trinnov is in a totally different category than Audyssey, IMO.

It is true that in some circumstances, Trinnov is not as easy to set up as Audyssey. But this is primarily because it has to estimate the position of the speakers in 3D space, which is not something Audyssey attempts to do.

In my case, I had to pop one end of one of my in-wall Heights and point it to the calibration microphone, to get it to register its spatial position. Do I want to go through this very often? Nope.

But now it's done, and I do not plan to touch it again for a long time. The sound is by far the best I have achieved in my TV room, which has primarily hard, flat surfaces (two glass walls and hardwood floors, with minimal furnishing).

Before, Audissey and Velodyne's built-in Room EQ had helped tame a bit the sound mess, but things were still too boomy, too muddy and too bright, all at the same time.

Trinnov cleaned all of it up and blended it correctly, to a point where I am genuinely happy with the sound, which I frankly did not believe was possible in this room. And that's without even taking the 3D feature into account. Then the 3D thing adds a whole new dimension on top, pun intended.

The rest of the AVR is overall fine. I did have one defective unit, but everything is fine now. My setup is simpler than most, basically one BR equipped HTPC going to the R-972 (DVI/HDMI), then one HDMI/DVI/HDMI cable to the TV.

Everything works well now, although I do not use the video circuitry of the AVR -- I let the TV (60" Kuro) do the scaling. In all honesty, I have never been able to clearly tell a difference between the scaling of the TV, or any other receiver I've had before, including the R-972. I do, however, use a color meter and software on the HTPC to calibrate the image, which does have noticeable impact.

I thought I'd miss Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, but I do not, at all. In fact, Trinnov has cleaned up the dialog way better than I ever got from Audyssey, even at very low levels.

I did not miss the networking capability of my Marantz, except for AirPlay, which I think is the Trinnov of networking, or the proverbial sliced bread But I simply installed Aerodrom on my HTPC (running Windows 8 Beta) and now I can stream both video and audio from my iPad to the HTPC, which then passes the video and the audio through the R-972. So, at the end, this is a better and more versatile setup than before, even though the AVR itself is not networked.

Finally, the remote. It sucks, even though it's RF, as well as IR. But IMO, so does virtually every other AVR remote I've seen. I use a URC remote and it took me 15 minutes to learn the commands (the URC database is wrong, and it generally sucks, anyway).

The R-972 is a pretty solid AVR overall, but there are others, like the Denon 4311, the Onkyo TX-NR3008, or the Anthems, or the Integras, or the bigger Yamahas and the Class D Pioneers, which are also great, and have some more modern features, like networking, as well as being easier to set up and less buggy (well, some of them). But they don't have Trinnov.

So, there. Do I think the R-972 is as good as it gets in the sub-$3-$4 (list) category?

Yes. Because of Trinnov. Now that I've had a taste of it, I'll always want it, or something which does what Trinnov does.

But, others may think differently....
post #13 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It's pretty simple, for the same price, Denon. For features and operation, Denon.For sound and room correction, regardless of number of channels the Sherwood (5 ch, vs Denon 7) easily wins. I have heard them both, but in different rooms, although both geometrically good on same speakers.

I would not tell anyone to buy it cause it is a little buggy, but the sound is solid and made it a keeper for me, replacing a newer, over 1k retail avr.
post #14 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's a good list of receivers you have experienced, I'm actually coming from first an Onkyo 805, then most recently and Onkyo 3007. The 805 is every bit the power beast of legend, but I found the 3007 to be a much nicer and nuanced over all experience in terms of normal to even higher listening levels.

How would you compare the Onkyo 3008 to the 4311 strictly in terms of sound (rather than features)?

Personally prefer Denon's sound to Onkyo's, especially for music.
post #15 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
Trinnov is amazing, easily the best sound i have had in my room. The reciever is a pita. I struggled for 2 weeks to get it working and was on the verge of sending it back. I actually bought a 4311ci and brought it home. The denon has better features(although airplay is easy to replace externally) and was far more plug and play.

The 972 sounds better in my room even without room correction, with trinnov its amazing as i said before.

What it comes down to is a simple question. Are you willing to put up with its shortcomings in exchange for better sound?

shortcomings i experienced:
1)switching inputs it takes 3 seconds or so to get video and a bit longer for audio. Also when just watching TV it takes a couple seconds to get sound for each commercial(codec switch i think)
2)Crazy HDMI limitations. On mine the PS3 would only work on input 1(i read on this forum about that or might still be fighting it)
4)I had to do firmware updates to even get it working

Others have reported that the amps are weak. It has not been an issue for me.

I had another thought that i wanted to share. I was out this week listening to some very high end home theater systems. For the most part they were annoying after listeneing to my system. A large part of this is probable due to poor setup on thier part. The annoying part was speech not being localized to the screen. On my system the mains are roughly horizontal with the bottom edge of the screen and the center is above. Using Trinnov speech is centered right on the screen.

In the end i kept the 972
post #16 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 PM

I had the R972, and it sounded way better than my denon 2809ci. Soundwise there was no comparison. I loved the way my selah SSRs sounded with R972. The highs just sounded far more extended, and the bass was punchy. This even without the room eq coming into the equation. With the room eq on, the sound was even better. There is just something about the way sound envelopes you with trinnov that i never experienced with audyssey. Its not like the soundstage is diffuse, but its more like all the speakers have blended. Its hard to put it in words, but once you listen to it, you'll know what i'm talking about.

But i had issues with hdmi ... the sound would take about 5-6s before coming in everytime i fast forwarded the movie. And it had a hard time working with the ATI video card of my media PC. Changing cables worked for a while, and then after a while, the problem would return. So in the end, i returned it.

But maybe others have better luck with hdmi. If you get a good piece without such issues, then you'll be very thrilled with the receiver overall.
post #17 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
I have had my R972 now for about 3-4 weeks.

I was skeptical of the current set of issues, but lucky that none of them have bitten me or become a nuisance. I caution anyone that asks me about it, that because of these issues, I don't flat out recommend it to just anyone.

Trinnov is the real deal. How it is able to create the seamless surround presentation is just short of amazing. The two-channel sound with and without any correction is also very good. The EQ itself is great, but the spatial correction is what sets it apart. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to go to anything else that does not have the same type of technology.

With the price and return policy at A4L, I think it is a no brainer to at least give it a try. That is what I did, and I am very happy about it.

I use mine with external amps, so I can not comment on the amp qualities of the R972.

A bunch of local AV enthusiasts will be over to have a listen this Saturday....pokekevin is one of them.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #18 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post

Also when just watching TV it takes a couple seconds to get sound for each commercial (codec switch i think)

This issue is a big negative for me. Is the delay when switching audio codecs just with HDMI? I use optical from my cable box with my 886. So if I had the R-972 would there still be an audio delay if I used optical? I'm on the fence as far as buying the R-972 but I watch a lot of sports and the audio delay would be a deal breaker.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #19 of 41 Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bill, I don't know what happens with optical.

I also watch a fair amount of sports and don't seem to have issues with missing anything.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #20 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post

... And it had a hard time working with the ATI video card of my media PC....

For what it's worth, the reason I am using Windows 8 Beta on my HTPC is that my AOPEN HTPC's Intel video drivers had issues with the R-972, under Windows 7.

In desperation, I decided to try the Windows 8 Public Beta, and discovered that things worked perfectly with the drivers that installed with it. So I am a really happy camper now.

But even before that, I had decided that I had no choice but to keep the R-972 and just restart the HTPC before I watched a movie, because I don't think I wanted to go back to another Room EQ system, and did not want to spend $13k to get the MC Trinnov Box.
post #21 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So if Trinnov is the best, and after using Audyssey, MCACC and YPAO, I could easly believe Trinnov is the better even without hearing it in action, cause the others just don't sound that good all the time.Trinnov seems to be the last hope that the masses have with only the likes of Audyssey, MCACC and YPAO to choose from.
So Trinnov so good why so litte info and talk, I be happy to trade useless internet app for better SQ, that what counts to most, Today marketing in the less $1k avrs play up to the rotten apple kids, selling them just cheap app software.

There very little info about the Sherwood R-972, I can't even find the full user manual download on the Sherwood R-972 web site. Is there full tech support for the Sherwood R-972?
post #22 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Bill, I don't know what happens with optical.

I also watch a fair amount of sports and don't seem to have issues with missing anything.

Curtis,

When you are watching sports in HD on TV when there are commercial breaks when the audio goes from digital to analog and back is there an audible delay? When I had the Onkyo 905 (early FW) and the 805 (before updating the FW) there was a 1-2 second delay while the Onkyo locked on to the audio format changes. It drove me nuts as you would lose audio for the 1-2 seconds whenever there was a commercial in analog. If the R-972 does this then it is a total deal breaker for me. Thanks for your help!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #23 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM

After using it for close to a month, I ended up returning my R-972. So now I'm looking for a new receiver. I really liked it(for sound quality alone) and wanted to keep it, but I just couldn't. The real question isn't a choice between Audessey and Trinnov. It is just if you can deal with all the annoyances mentioned by AcousticSoul and others in the main thread.

I ended up changing a bunch of different things in my sources that were fed into the R-972 just to make things work better, like: turning off the "key tone" sound on the PS3 menu(wouldn't lock in), lowering the quality of the music output from 176khz to a lower output setting because it would only detect it sometimes. That, plus the audio delay(optical input had the same problem) when switching songs and sometimes when you fast forward or skip chapters on blu rays, the receiver just had too many issues for me. It is however, a nice price, but I think if you already enjoy your denon enough, you should stick with that.
post #24 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post

After using it for close to a month, I ended up returning my R-972. So now I'm looking for a new receiver. .

Have you considered an Anthem MRX?
Their customer service is great, they release firmware upgrades frequently to fix small bugs that pop up from time to time.
ARC (Anthem room correction) comes with a calibrated mic and uses a PC to do the processing, much like Audyssy Pro, but without having to spend the extra $700 for that capability.
It doesn't have many bells and whistles like the Denons and is limited to 4 HDMI inputs, one output and only has one sub output.
For $1k it's a good deal to use just as a pre/pro, but many find the amp sections more than adequate.
I got mine early last month, it's been working great.
post #25 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Have you considered an Anthem MRX?

I have actually. The only thing keeping me from trying one of the MRX's is the fact that you have to go to a local dealer to get one. I get annoyed quickly by sales people. I really wish they would sell from their website.
post #26 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

When you are watching sports in HD on TV when there are commercial breaks when the audio goes from digital to analog and back is there an audible delay? When I had the Onkyo 905 (early FW) and the 805 (before updating the FW) there was a 1-2 second delay while the Onkyo locked on to the audio format changes. It drove me nuts as you would lose audio for the 1-2 seconds whenever there was a commercial in analog. If the R-972 does this then it is a total deal breaker for me. Thanks for your help!

The audio doesn't go from digital to analog, but when there is a gap in the codec stream, it does take 1-2 seconds to lock on to it again.

That said, I do experience that with commercials some times, but when going back to the sports programming, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #27 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

So if Trinnov is the best, and after using Audyssey, MCACC and YPAO, I could easly believe Trinnov is the better even without hearing it in action, cause the others just don't sound that good all the time.Trinnov seems to be the last hope that the masses have with only the likes of Audyssey, MCACC and YPAO to choose from.
So Trinnov so good why so litte info and talk, I be happy to trade useless internet app for better SQ, that what counts to most, Today marketing in the less $1k avrs play up to the rotten apple kids, selling them just cheap app software.

There very little info about the Sherwood R-972, I can't even find the full user manual download on the Sherwood R-972 web site. Is there full tech support for the Sherwood R-972?

There is full tech support from Sherwood, as well as a full three year warranty if bought from an authorized dealer.

Plenty of links to documentation, and support from a Trinnov employee in these threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...179978&page=38

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1397757

The Sherwood website has recently been revamped, and is missing info on just about all their legacy stuff.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #28 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I'm afraid I will love the sound quality and then hate everything else about the receiver. Then if I replaced it I would be missing that sound quality from Trinnov.

Exactly.

I got a buggy early 972, then Denon 4810 and 4311, back to 972.

I never used the Denon's features, and new what I was getting into: Slow response when changing inputs, and hours/days getting a good Trinnov setup.

Quote:

The only feature that the Sherwood has going for it is the room EQ.

On SQ, I'd take the 972 w/o Trinnov over Denon w/Audyssey.
[quote=joehonest;21901686]

Noah
post #29 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post

I have actually. The only thing keeping me from trying one of the MRX's is the fact that you have to go to a local dealer to get one. I get annoyed quickly by sales people. I really wish they would sell from their website.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I was lucky enough to find that a dealer here I've used in the past, who isn't very pushy, had both the Anthem and Integra. He told me the Anthem was better than the much more expensive Integra pre/pro I was considering, that's how honest he is.
His demo was almost completely useless though, I wanted to compared ARC vs no eq and he didn't have it set up to do that. I had read enough on this site that I just ordered it from him, very minimal discount from MSRP.
post #30 of 41 Old 04-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

There is full tech support from Sherwood, as well as a full three year warranty if bought from an authorized dealer.

Plenty of links to documentation, and support from a Trinnov employee in these threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...179978&page=38

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1397757

The Sherwood website has recently been revamped, and is missing info on just about all their legacy stuff.

Got it, thanks.
I'm looking over the 972 manual.
I always thought Audyssey sounded alittle better the the pioneer, but pioneer is abit more tweakable, yamaha is not bad but there avrs have gutless amps. Overall they all leave alot to be desired.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page