Help with amp hook up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony STR-DE935 receiver which I retired a while back due to lack of digital inputs in my home theater setup, but I am now reinstating for simple audio distribution around my house. I currently have it set up to send 2ch audio to Zone A (kitchen) and Zone B (Deck). I would like to add a further amplifier to send audio to several more rooms (8) which have wired in-wall speakers. The receiver has '2nd AUDIO OUT' RCA jacks which the manual says can be connected to a 'stereo amplifier'. However, it doesn't state if this should be an integrated amp or a power amp (if power I was considering a Niles Si-1230). It also doesn't state if the 2nd AUDIO OUT jacks are fixed or variable. Any help figuring this out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I can't imagine the outputs not being affected by the volume control. The only use for such outputs are for something like a TV, where it's meant to be connected to a receiver, which has it's own volume control. It's not useful I think, for a receiver to have fixed outputs like some TVs have.

So I would guess that output is meant for direct connection to amp. Of course, I can't be certain beyond any doubt...one way to test it, is to hook it up to an input on another receiver, and change the volume on the Sony, and then you can hear if the level changes.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I spoke with SONY and had two people that seemed to give canned answers, but one said it was fixed (however I am not sure he was knows what he was talking about!).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page