Need a new AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to get a new reciever to get the most out of my klipsch VF-36 speakers and 12" klipsch sub.

They have excellent highs and great bass but when compared to my friends reference klipsch they completely fail on mids. After a few posts I have found out that some kind of EQ is my best bet, apparently the new EQ's listen to your speakers and adjust accordingly with the EQ.

Also my friend says it's because my old pro-logic amp is underpowered which it is.

What are some recievers you would suggest? I prefer Denon but would consider anything under $500

Current equipment
LG 42" tv (w/ optical digital out)
LG blu-ray (no optical digital out)
Klipsch Icon VF-36 towers
Klipsch 12" sub (very old and bass heavy)
xbox 360 slim
yamaha 5-disc CD player with optical digital out

no center but I want to go 5.1 (I have old box system yamaha speakers for rears to get me by)

Any features I should take into consideration?

Is optical digital out something I should take into consideration? Everything but my blu-ray has it and I can replace that down the road if needed. (TV xbox and CD player has it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Refer to post #2 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the current Denon XX12 modesl (although note the new XX13 models are due to be released starting next month). Give several Denon authorized resellers (eg. Electronics Expo, AV Science, J&R) a "call" and you can get the Denon 2112CI for just under your budget (possibly even on clearance with the new XX13 models coming in soon) which will include Audyssey MultEQ XT and networking/Airplay. Also it's unlikely your current amp is underpowered as those VF-36 towers are very efficient at 98db and are using only 1-2W on average, even at louder volumes.

If TV/movie watching makes up most of your listening, you'll want to invest in a decent center speaker. Also note that optical inputs on AVRs are on the way out (being replaced by HDMI).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Would being underpowered effect the mids from these speakers? I know the tweeters are very efficient but the rest of the speaker is something like 600w max power. It's not the highs that i'm worried about but the mids.

I looked at that amp from the sites you listed and they're currently $650 which is over my budget, maybe once the new ones come out they'll drop. I've found it other places for 600 and a few at 520 but not sure if they're reputable ie: returns and waranty etc.

edit: Ok I did some research on the multiEQ and it sounds amazing, from the look of it things it will calibrate all frequencies? including lows mids and highs and reproduce them all at reference levels? So what i'm guessing is that if my speakers are capable of producing better mids then it'll make sure they do? What if my speakers aren't capable of producing better mids?

Also could you recommend a MultiEQ system rather then an XT? from the stats I don't think I'm going to need all that extra stuff unless the price difference is minimal. I don't know how much I really care about satellites right now since I'm honestly just gonna be running 2.1 on quality equipment for a few years, everything else will be cheapo speakers. I'm getting a center channel first but that'll be a while.

Also I'm not sure what to think about 7.1 ....... if I can get a significantly better sounding system from 5.1 then i'll forgo the extra two speakers and be happy with 5.1 not to mention thats two less speakers for me to worry about upgrading.

I want every component to be on par with my VF-36, no sense in spending extra on other items when my towers will end up the weakest link. With that being said I want to do them justice and get everything out of them I can, even if that means only buying components every so often.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Please reread my previous post .... notice that I highlight with quotes the actual action necessary to get the deal I discuss ... you have to "CALL" the reseller not just look at the MSRP listed on their websites. And the difference between the 1912 (MultEQ) and the 2112CI(XT) is normally $20-$30 at these particular resellers so for the better EQ and 3rd year of warranty .. is $20-$30 worth it to you? And no you are unlikely to get a significantly better sounding 5.1 AVR then 7.1 AVR. You don't need to use the extra amps, but they can also be used to place speakers in another room or on the patio if you ever decide to to that. The vast majority of 7.1 AVR owners only have either a 3.1 or 5.1 setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I suggest that you consider the Onkyo 709 receiver, which has all the features you need and should be in your price range ($539), or the Denon 2311CI, which costs about the same and has Audessy MultiEQ.

But FIRST, you should consider picking up a Klipsch RC-42 center speaker, which Amazon has for $249. That will add a great deal of midrange output and should make a big difference. No matter which route you go, you need the center speaker to get the midrange balance you want.

You have pretty large front speakers, and the subwoofer should be set to operate only below 40 Hz; if it is set to operate any higher than that the boominess is probably because the subwoofer and front speakers are overlapping too much; that will definitely cause boominess. You also should be aware that your main speakers have super-high sensitivity, and the output level control on the subwoofer needs to be set very low to get the proper balance.

You subwoofer should only be operating at the frequencies that your main speakers CAN NOT put out! It should not be conflicting with them, which may be what is happening.

Use your front speakers to their fullest, and only use the subwoofer where they do not go. That will give you the best overall sound.

Adding the center speaker and getting the subwoofer set up for optimum operation will make a lot of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriebird View Post

I need to get a new reciever to get the most out of my klipsch VF-36 speakers and 12" klipsch sub.

They have excellent highs and great bass but when compared to my friends reference klipsch they completely fail on mids. After a few posts I have found out that some kind of EQ is my best bet, apparently the new EQ's listen to your speakers and adjust accordingly with the EQ.

Also my friend says it's because my old pro-logic amp is underpowered which it is.

What are some recievers you would suggest? I prefer Denon but would consider anything under $500

Current equipment
LG 42" tv (w/ optical digital out)
LG blu-ray (no optical digital out)
Klipsch Icon VF-36 towers
Klipsch 12" sub (very old and bass heavy)
xbox 360 slim
yamaha 5-disc CD player with optical digital out

no center but I want to go 5.1 (I have old box system yamaha speakers for rears to get me by)

Any features I should take into consideration?

Is optical digital out something I should take into consideration? Everything but my blu-ray has it and I can replace that down the road if needed. (TV xbox and CD player has it)

post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

When do the xx13 come out? That way I know how long to wait for clearance prices. On denon's website the 1912 and 1712 are both $400 so I doubt the 2112ci will be close on price any more. I'm thinking of getting the 1712 over the 1912 since quality is more important then connectivity to me.

It also looks like the 1713 is going to have the internet of the 1912 and more power. Maybe I'll wait and see the price of that?

Once the xx13 comes out i'll call those places listed and see if they have any deals.

Another question, will a higher peak power effect low level listening at all?

As to the sub being adjusted I mostly just leave it off due to other people in the household, but I'll look into setting it correctly for those times I turn it on.

Most of my listening is currently low level but that'll change within the next few years when I get a new place.

I'll look at getting that center channel to add mids, never thought of that. I just don't know what to think about mixing speaker types even within klipsch. But then again the center that matches my towers isn't for sale anywhere.

Will the center still produce mids for music?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

You have pretty large front speakers, and the subwoofer should be set to operate only below 40 Hz; if it is set to operate any higher than that the boominess is probably because the subwoofer and front speakers are overlapping too much; that will definitely cause boominess. You also should be aware that your main speakers have super-high sensitivity, and the output level control on the subwoofer needs to be set very low to get the proper balance.

You subwoofer should only be operating at the frequencies that your main speakers CAN NOT put out! It should not be conflicting with them, which may be what is happening.

Use your front speakers to their fullest, and only use the subwoofer where they do not go. That will give you the best overall sound.

Thanks a ton for the advice, I adjusted my sub as advised and the results are amazing! Apparently the mids were hiding behind the sub. They're still not as good as my friends reference klipsch towers but they're greatly improved. I ordered a denon 1712 that'll hopefully ship today and be here next week so along with the adjusted sub and multiEQ I'm hoping for a greatly improved system.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Call now. They're dealing now. You might get another $50 to maybe $100 off next month on any remaining stock.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page