Best AV Receiver or Separates for $5000 - Arcam vs Anthem vs Marantz vs Rotel vs ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am going to replace my Onkyo TX SR 805 which is currently powering in-ceiling B&W 818 speakers. Down the road I will upgrade left, center and right, possibly to B&W 805D. Use of system is 50/50 HT and music.

I am debating separates vs receiver. Heard great things about Arcam AVR 600 (except for reliability issues). Anthem MRX 700 is another possibility. From separates point of view Rotel and Marantz are contenders. I have stayed away from other typical makes (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo) because they seem to be more focused on features than performance at least as related to the amplifer.

Let your views be known. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I moved from a BK Ref20 to an Anthem MRX300 recently, using the Anthem as a pre/pro with the Parasound amp I already have.
The other strong contender IMO is the Denon 4311.
I don't see any big advantage to spending more for a dedicated pre/pro until you get up to $6k+ where you can get some units that are upgradeable.
The main thing to consider IMO is room correction and basic functionality (enough inputs/outputs, channels for your needs). The Anthem MRX series only has 4 HDMI inputs, one output, but that is adequate for my needs. It will only go up to 7.1, so if you want more channels than that, look at Denon or Onkyo/Integra.
Unless you really want the extra features of the MRX700 (USB, internet radio), I think you're better off putting the $1k difference towards a good amp, especially for the LCR. You can use the amps in the MRX for surrounds or a second zone. Many have found the MRX300 to meet their needs and ended up not even getting the external amp.
I bought an Oppo 93 to pick up some of the things missing from the Anthem, Pandora, Netflix, external hard drive connectivity, DLNA streaming.
I'd get something with ARC or Audyssey XT32, the nice thing about ARC is it already comes with a calibrated mic and uses a computer, you have to step up to Audyssey pro to get that, which adds another $700.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page