Anthem D2 and DirecTV HR24 Copy Write Protection Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a new problem with my DirecTV satellite box, (HR24) and my D2 processor, (v1.33 sw). The following error message appears when attempting to view HBO channels only,

Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program.

This message ONLY appears when I still have the satellite output connected to the D2 input (whether it is turned on or not). The HDMI connection works fine when going directly to the Panasonic HDTV, (TC-P54V10) and bypassing the D2.

I presently have the H24 component output cables directly connected to the TV so the D2 does not need to be turned on to watch TV, but I still get the error message UNTIL I disconnect the HDMI connection to the D2. Is this a problem related to hardware in the D2 or can it be resolved with a future software release?

I called Anthem Tech Support and they first told me to upgrade to v1.33 and it would fix the problem at which time I told the tech it has been that version sw since I bought it. He then advised me to dump the HDMI and go with component cables which I find dissapointing to say the least. I bought the Anthem D2 in the first place for the best sound and audio I could get.

I KNOW DirecTV is not going to write the code to accept the D2 and it doesn't sound like Anthem cares one way or the other. Does anyone have this issue with the D2V?

"There's no such thing as an easy job, not if you do it right."

Mladen Sekulovich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post

I am having a new problem with my DirecTV satellite box, (HR24) and my D2 processor, (v1.33 sw). The following error message appears when attempting to view HBO channels only,

Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program.

This message ONLY appears when I still have the satellite output connected to the D2 input (whether it is turned on or not). The HDMI connection works fine when going directly to the Panasonic HDTV, (TC-P54V10) and bypassing the D2.

I presently have the H24 component output cables directly connected to the TV so the D2 does not need to be turned on to watch TV, but I still get the error message UNTIL I disconnect the HDMI connection to the D2. Is this a problem related to hardware in the D2 or can it be resolved with a future software release?

I called Anthem Tech Support and they first told me to upgrade to v1.33 and it would fix the problem at which time I told the tech it has been that version sw since I bought it. He then advised me to dump the HDMI and go with component cables which I find dissapointing to say the least. I bought the Anthem D2 in the first place for the best sound and audio I could get.

I KNOW DirecTV is not going to write the code to accept the D2 and it doesn't sound like Anthem cares one way or the other. Does anyone have this issue with the D2V?

My MRX 500 has no problem with HBO on my Panasonic VT25 plasma using HDMI. My D2v is connected my pj and no cable box with it.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

My MRX 500 has no problem with HBO on my Panasonic VT25 plasma using HDMI. My D2v is connected my pj and no cable box with it.
John

Have you posted in the Anthem Statement thread?

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Have you posted in the Anthem Statement thread?

I have now. Thanks jayray. I figured the D2V and newer weren't seeing this issue. It looks like us poor D2 owners are sol.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
A quick search turns up this result which indicates that some H24 owners have similar issue while others don't, though the latter group may not include HBO subscribers.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=11051592

At any rate Anthem isn't mentioned and though we indeed care enough to get on planes to meet with cable and satellite box designers from around the world for the sole purpose of ensuring HDMI interoperability according to its specification, I doubt there's anything we can do about things like this one.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:

I've seen this before on the DirecTV 3D channels. It isn't really a content protection issue but is an HDMI handshake issue (despite the message). In other words the HR24 wants to send out a signal but something in the HDMI chain isn't compatible (a 1080p/24 output to a TV that can't support 1080p/24, for instance). Have you tried 1080i output or 720p output on the HR24 for HBO? It certainly seems as if the HR24 is not recognizing the Anthem as a valid destination at the resolution you have (or it could be a sign of a true copy protection flag issue).

For DirecTV you really shouldn't see any difference between the HDMI signal and the component video (as long as the component cables are good quality). The signal comes into the box either 1080i or 720p and the only difference is whether the bits are decoded in the box (for component) or in the TV (HDMI).
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

A quick search turns up this result which indicates that some H24 owners have similar issue while others don't, though the latter group may not include HBO subscribers.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=11051592

At any rate Anthem isn't mentioned and though we indeed care enough to get on planes to meet with cable and satellite box designers from around the world for the sole purpose of ensuring HDMI interoperability according to its specification, I doubt there's anything we can do about things like this one.

Do you think the next software update from 1.33 could address this issue? I attempted to follow up with this question on Anthem's tech support page, but for some reason the verification box never would accept the message so I tossed the towel in and posted here. I appreciate your quick response and expertise on the matter.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #8 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I've seen this before on the DirecTV 3D channels. It isn't really a content protection issue but is an HDMI handshake issue (despite the message). In other words the HR24 wants to send out a signal but something in the HDMI chain isn't compatible (a 1080p/24 output to a TV that can't support 1080p/24, for instance). Have you tried 1080i output or 720p output on the HR24 for HBO? It certainly seems as if the HR24 is not recognizing the Anthem as a valid destination at the resolution you have (or it could be a sign of a true copy protection flag issue).

For DirecTV you really shouldn't see any difference between the HDMI signal and the component video (as long as the component cables are good quality). The signal comes into the box either 1080i or 720p and the only difference is whether the bits are decoded in the box (for component) or in the TV (HDMI).

The output of the HR24 is set to 1080i or 1080p, (Pay per view movies) which I haven't tried to check the 1080p output. And only on the movie channels such as HBO. CNN or FNC is no problem.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Do you think the next software update from 1.33 could address this issue? I attempted to follow up with this question on Anthem's tech support page, but for some reason the verification box never would accept the message so I tossed the towel in and posted here. I appreciate your quick response and expertise on the matter.

Try sending the message to tech@anthemav.com and ask for software v1.47f.

It is not a general release version and it may make things better, worse, or not change things at all. It was meant to address issues with sources that expect to see a captive display, i.e. ones that don't work very well with switchers or when hot-plugging, contrary to HDMI requirements. Video cards were the prime target when it was created.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Try sending the message to tech@anthemav.com and ask for software v1.47f.

It is not a general release version and it may make things better, worse, or not change things at all. It was meant to address issues with sources that expect to see a captive display, i.e. ones that don't work very well with switchers or when hot-plugging, contrary to HDMI requirements. Video cards were the prime target when it was created.

Nick, again, mucho thanks for the help on this. I had the user name and password when I had to get the flash eraser because of a brownout condition with the AC line during storms.

The only issue I've found so far is a 1 second dropout of the audio when adjusting treble or bass during playback. The HBO and premium channels work fine now. I'll go ahead and send a message to tech@anthemav.com informing of the fix. Now back to the man cave for some more testing.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #11 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the late update if anyone else has a D2 and had followed this thread. A week after posting, the dreaded HDCP problem occurred again. ONLY when the D2 is powered down. I can now power up the D2 and the premium movie channels from the HR24 will pass thru the D2.

The rub is it means I have to LEAVE the D2 on all the time in order not to miss recording programs on the DVR. The Mrs. doesn't care if she views in HDMI or composite so I unplug the HDMI to the D2 on the back of the HR24 when the D2 is powered down. Anyone know of a simple "passive" on and off HDMI box that will break the physical connection to keep from having to unplug?

Mladen Sekulovich
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Anthem D2v , Directv Hr24 High Definition Dvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page