Best bang for your buck Receiver under $250? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a decent receiver under $250. wants are 4 HDMI and USB for IPOD.

I have 2 fronts,2 rear and center Sony SS TS 300 speakers and 2 big Cambridge Soundworks PSW1 subwoofers


also, I don/t care if its new,used or refurbished!

Cheers

Davey
Kdblove_99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 773
heres a couple to get you started:

denon 1612

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1612.../dp/B004U403WM

denon 1712

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 351
The 1712 doesn't have USB for iPod but they are throwing in a free dock.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 351
afrogt is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is teh Onkyo Tx sr309? On Amazon for $143 shipped
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Member
 
guns&motorcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is a bare bones, low powered, receiver. If your budget was $150, I'd say go for it. At $250 though, you (should) get Audyssey room EQ, and some other nice features. For that extra $100, you get a lot more for your money.

With your two subs, I'd recommend getting a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ (or even better, XT). That should put you right around $250 refurb or clearance.
guns&motorcycles is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns&motorcycles View Post

It is a bare bones, low powered, receiver. If your budget was $150, I'd say go for it. At $250 though, you (should) get Audyssey room EQ, and some other nice features. For that extra $100, you get a lot more for your money.

With your two subs, I'd recommend getting a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ (or even better, XT). That should put you right around $250 refurb or clearance.


Ah yes, Thank you. I meant to put in my original posting under wants also is Audyssey..

Also when looking at a receiver how do you know if it has Audyssey, I never seem to see it listed under specs. I guess i would rather be around $200
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Member
 
guns&motorcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On Onkyo's site, click on a receiver, go to Features, and look for: "Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic."

On Denon's site, find a receiver, click on the small Features link, and look under the Convenience Features subheading, and find: "Audyssey MultEQ Room Equalization"
guns&motorcycles is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns&motorcycles View Post

On Onkyo's site, click on a receiver, go to Features, and look for: "Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic."

On Denon's site, find a receiver, click on the small Features link, and look under the Convenience Features subheading, and find: "Audyssey MultEQ Room Equalization"



Thank you. I think i have made my decision. Going to go with the Denon 1612. Just waiting for the best deal on it...
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well one more. Onkyo TX-NR509, It has the network streaming and from what i have read the Onkyos are more user friendly than the Denon? The 509 has the Audyssey 2EQ.
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 351
2EQ isn't nearly as good as multiEQ, as it doesn't eq the subwoofer and has less measurement positions.
http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq


If you want the networking feature though, that is a plus.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys. I ordered the Denon AVR-1612 off Crutchfield for $199 shipped...
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Subjga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdblove_99 View Post

Thanks guys. I ordered the Denon AVR-1612 off Crutchfield for $199 shipped...

Man, that's a good deal! Two years I got the Denon AVR 1610 (the 2010 version of the one you just ordered) for over $300 on special. It rocks! If the 1612 is the same as the 1610, just updated, than that's a steal!
Subjga is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Your 1610 has analog to HDMI video conversion and a set of B speaker terminals. Otherwise the receivers are pretty similar.

I got last years AVR-591 for $199 new last year. Great deal. If you wait long enough there are bargains to be found.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Your 1610 has analog to HDMI video conversion and a set of B speaker terminals. Otherwise the receivers are pretty similar.

I got last years AVR-591 for $199 new last year. Great deal. If you wait long enough there are bargains to be found.



Yeah i had it in my cart for $199 and went to check out and said $219. so i called Crutchfield and told them. They said the $199 was a mid day sale but if i was ready to order rigth then they would honor the $199. Great Customer Service!
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
I would go with the TX-NR609 from Accessories4less. Only $50 more than your budget. Nothing comes close to it in terms of output power.
Here is a link to the Bench Test:http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...-labs-measures
It honestly shames some $1000 plus AVR's in terms of power.

While it not having MultEQ is certainly a downer, I would far rather have enough power to drive most Speakers out there which is decidedly an issue when spending this little. The 609 retails for $599 and also offers THX Post Processing, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Networking and much more. Much more powerful than the 509 (6.2 Amps vs 3.9) as it needs to meet THX Select2 Certification. Accordingly uses the Triple Stage Darlington Circuitry used in the upper level Onkyo Models. Also, you can add 2 additional years of Onkyo Warranty by going to Shoponkyo.com for around $50 as the B-Stocks offer 1 year less warranty than A-Stock, So worth an additional $50...
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
radi4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdblove_99 View Post

Yeah i had it in my cart for $199 and went to check out and said $219. so i called Crutchfield and told them. They said the $199 was a mid day sale but if i was ready to order rigth then they would honor the $199. Great Customer Service!

I just called Crutchfield and told them the same story as yours and they bough it. First he said the price has been $219 for some weeks now and it has not changed. He was like, you must have used some sort of discount code to get that price. I told him no, it shows up as 199 in the cart this morning and now when i finally go home and order it, it jumped up in price. He put me on hold for like 3 minutes and said, ok i'll do 199.99 shipped to your door by 05/10/2012

I have a very strict budget and i was waiting for a good receiver and now i can't wait to get some speakers
radi4fun is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kdblove_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi4fun View Post

I just called Crutchfield and told them the same story as yours and they bough it. First he said the price has been $219 for some weeks now and it has not changed. He was like, you must have used some sort of discount code to get that price. I told him no, it shows up as 199 in the cart this morning and now when i finally go home and order it, it jumped up in price. He put me on hold for like 3 minutes and said, ok i'll do 199.99 shipped to your door by 05/10/2012

I have a very strict budget and i was waiting for a good receiver and now i can't wait to get some speakers


Awesome, Glad it worked out.
Kdblove_99 is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I just purchased the Denon 1612 for my daughter at Crutchfield. Seems like a decent receiver and Crutchfield's current promotion is $219 with a $25 Gift card (found at Fat Wallet). I'll be setting this up for my daughter and comparing it to my older Denon 2309CI. She owns the Apple TV2, iPad, iPod, iPhone 4 (and the WD TV Live streamer) so it will be interesting to see how all of these interact with this receiver.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
psblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best buy is closing out pioneer 1021's for 250 in the box less open box.

Love my DEF TECH!
psblake is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Afroteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psblake View Post

Best buy is closing out pioneer 1021's for 250 in the box less open box.

Did you see this posted online somewhere?
Afroteddy is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
psblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I bought two of them myself got one for 210 and the other for 199 plus tax.

both open box but they are 249 in the computer at best buy

Love my DEF TECH!
psblake is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
psblake thanks for letting us know about the special best buy price. I appreciate it.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
domingos38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdblove_99 View Post

Looking for a decent receiver under $250. wants are 4 HDMI and USB for IPOD.

I have 2 fronts,2 rear and center Sony SS TS 300 speakers and 2 big Cambridge Soundworks PSW1 subwoofers


also, I don/t care if its new,used or refurbished!

Cheers

Davey

i just sold my almost new onkyo 707 for $230
domingos38 is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 40.3728° N, 105.5192° W
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The 1712 doesn't have USB for iPod but they are throwing in a free dock.

That's cool. I hear those docks can be used as a weapon

Shhhhhhhhh
Shift is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Afroteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psblake View Post

No I bought two of them myself got one for 210 and the other for 199 plus tax.

both open box but they are 249 in the computer at best buy

I might check that out if I can still find one around.
Afroteddy is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off